Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,228,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I do this already... but not just with men and not with the intention of picking anyone up. I just get a kick out of saying nice things and doing nice things for people. You get all kind of results. Some people do treat you like you have alien antenna sticking out of your head. Some are thrilled though. Some people act really bizarre too. Never got a date from it though. I've been asked for a date after starting a conversation--but for some reason that only has happened lately (and I am sort of dating someone right now, so I would feel guilty accepting a date. Silly, I know... since I am not exclusive with this man. But I just can't do it for some reason).

Anyway, have fun with it!
I like to say nice things to people, too. Actually, the men are usually more receptive than the women. Some women are really nice - and some are really cold. I told this one woman that her dress was beautiful - because it was - and she just gave me kind of an annoyed look. Oh well. When I was in the elevator with this man and woman one time (I think they were coworkers and not together) - the woman complimented me on my dress and I was thrilled!

One day I just decided that when I thought something nice about someone - I should just let them know. I realized that I got compliments a lot but never thought to compliment others. Complimenting someone just because they complimented you often feels forced - so I decided to try to just be more aware of when I thought nice things about people and to let them now.

As for the "hitting on" aspect of the OP - I remember once when I was 15 and I went to the water park with some of my girlfriends. Towards the end of the day, we approached a bunch of different guys and asked for their phone numbers. Actually, I did the approaching because I'm the loudmouth (hee hee) - and I think every guy gave me his number. I talked with one of them for a few days but then let it go because I wasn't really allowed to date yet and he lived far away. But I had a good time while it lasted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 AM

943 posts, read 1,006,332 times
Oh, yah, HM, you can't tell those things...what would be funny is if I put a picture up here of me shaking some random guys hand, and then you'd see...you would all SEE...you'd see how attractive or unnattractive you think I am according to your perception of what is attractive, you would see what I think is attractive, and you'd see what my favorite coffee shop is.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:36 AM

Dewdrop, you are right, complimenting others and being able to take a compliment seem like another one of those social things people forget about when they don't spend enough time socializing.
You sound like you are a fun person, anyway. I tend to be overly serious and am in my head a lot, which is probably why I miss opportunities to have made a consciouss effort to do this before.
But now that I have made it a challenge, I'm going to do it. Just watch.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,819,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
Fair enough....but they really don't. The women who complain that they don't get approached are really saying that they don't get approached by the good looking, rich, high-status guys that they want to date.
Do those kinds of guys approach anyone? I mean other than good-looking, high-status women? And you see here in thread after thread where men who don't think they are "good looking" enough won't approach. So who does that leave to do the approaching (very few I would think... once you remove the men who are taken, the men who are good looking enough that they don't approach, and the men who think because they aren't an Adonis they "can't" approach).

I really am curious, what percentage of men actually do approach women. Especially now that online dating is so widely accepted and men really don't need to take the risk of approaching random strangers who may or may not be in a relationship.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:45 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,974,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Do those kinds of guys approach anyone? I mean other than good-looking, high-status women? And you see here in thread after thread where men who don't think they are "good looking" enough won't approach. So who does that leave to do the approaching (very few I would think... once you remove the men who are taken, the men who are good looking enough that they don't approach, and the men who think because they aren't an Adonis they "can't" approach).

I really am curious, what percentage of men actually do approach women.
Op should do a pie chart of that. Lol

(As you can see here, 3% actually walk up and ask ladies out)

Old 02-18-2014, 11:47 AM

Yah, Raena, I should do that...with all the subsets...interesting.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:50 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,974,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
Yah, Raena, I should do that...with all the subsets...interesting.
Do it!

Old 02-18-2014, 11:50 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,049,680 times
I have to say I really shouldn't be surprised but anytime a woman approaches me I am surprised. My girl friends tell me its because I am always smiling and happy as hell so I am easy to approach. I will say though that most women suck at approaching and come off really awkward and they do approach me. Kind of funny and cute I guess...

Old 02-18-2014, 11:51 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,819,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I like to say nice things to people, too. Actually, the men are usually more receptive than the women. Some women are really nice - and some are really cold. I told this one woman that her dress was beautiful - because it was - and she just gave me kind of an annoyed look. Oh well. When I was in the elevator with this man and woman one time (I think they were coworkers and not together) - the woman complimented me on my dress and I was thrilled!

One day I just decided that when I thought something nice about someone - I should just let them know. I realized that I got compliments a lot but never thought to compliment others. Complimenting someone just because they complimented you often feels forced - so I decided to try to just be more aware of when I thought nice things about people and to let them now.

As for the "hitting on" aspect of the OP - I remember once when I was 15 and I went to the water park with some of my girlfriends. Towards the end of the day, we approached a bunch of different guys and asked for their phone numbers. Actually, I did the approaching because I'm the loudmouth (hee hee) - and I think every guy gave me his number. I talked with one of them for a few days but then let it go because I wasn't really allowed to date yet and he lived far away. But I had a good time while it lasted!
You know, I've found that too (that men are more open to being approached and that a lot more women, than men, seem cold). But the women who are friendly are just as friendly as the men. And men can be just as cold at times as some of the women. I also find that men are more willing to be spontaneously "crazy." I once played a version of "tag" with a man in the grocery store. We kept running into each other and saying. "Tag! you're it!" Then the one of us who was it tried to hunt down the other. It all ended when we had to check out and we waved good-bye.

But I am not always so weird. I also to the more socially acceptable thing with complimenting people on the necklaces, dresses, ties, suits, etc. I am selective with my weirdness

Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Lol! Thats a great story! HOW fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships