Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times

Advertisements

The Economics of Sex video and resource guide- a interesting, intelligent and I am sure controversial viewpoints on sex in modern society that I saw in a Freakonomics blog.

Freakonomics » An Animated Guide to the Economics of Sex

Economics of Sex | Austin Institute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Definitely contributing to the decline in marriages and the devaluing of sex...I guess I could see how it negatively impacts women who want that type of lifetime commitment, but it's working just fine for me.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
This is based on the false premise that the invention of oral contraceptives revolutionized mating and sex, as if contraceptives hadn't been available before. What revolutionized mating and sex was a relaxation of mores brought about by the counterculture of the 60's. People used condoms before the pill was invented, and many continued to use condoms after it was invented. Many still do, especially now with so much concern about AIDS and STD's. As we've seen on this forum, some women prefer not to use hormonally-based contraceptives.

Oh well. Whatever the cause, sex became more easily obtainable. But what the authors don't mention is that one major reason marriage is happening later in life is that women have a lot more options in life, so they're choosing to postpone marriage. That revolution in career opportunities for women and women's resulting independence from men also came about sometime in the 70's. It's not all about the "economics of sex". That's actually a male-centric view of the situation. Now we know where the myths come from that keep getting posted on this forum.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Yes, it often surprises me to see how people don't think about economics in just about everything.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is based on the false premise that the invention of oral contraceptives revolutionized mating and sex, as if contraceptives hadn't been available before. What revolutionized mating and sex was a relaxation of mores brought about by the counterculture of the 60's. People used condoms before the pill was invented, and many continued to use condoms after it was invented. Many still do, especially now with so much concern about AIDS and STD's. As we've seen on this forum, some women prefer not to use hormonally-based contraceptives.

Oh well. Whatever the cause, sex became more easily obtainable. But what the authors don't mention is that one major reason marriage is happening later in life is that women have a lot more options in life, so they're choosing to postpone marriage. It's not all about the "economics of sex". That's actually a male-centric view of the situation.
But the reality is, oral contraceptives DID revolutionize mating and sex. Contraceptives allowed women to halt their reproductive abilities when they wanted, allowing sexual relationships to occur more on their timetable. I'd say based on the information regarding marriage rates, divorce, and infidelity once oral contraceptives were widely available, there was a heightened effect from the 60's counterculture, and the counterculture increased the demand for contraceptives. They both pushed and pulled at each other.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 AM

339 posts, read 379,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
But the reality is, oral contraceptives DID revolutionize mating and sex. Contraceptives allowed women to halt their reproductive abilities when they wanted, allowing sexual relationships to occur more on their timetable. I'd say based on the information regarding marriage rates, divorce, and infidelity once oral contraceptives were widely available, there was a heightened effect from the 60's counterculture, and the counterculture increased the demand for contraceptives. They both pushed and pulled at each other.

I agree, I began to compose a response to Ruth's commentary but there was so much wrong with it, I didn't know where to start.

I often wonder what planet she lives on.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Yes, it often surprises me to see how people don't think about economics in just about everything.

One doesn't have to consciously think about economics to have economics explain a behavior.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
I agree, I began to compose a response to Ruth's commentary but there was so much wrong with it, I didn't know where to start.

I often wonder what planet she lives on.

She's actually one of the few people who posts here that DOES have any connection with reality. How is what she said wrong?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I don't see how condom use (and IUD's) vs. oral contraceptives would be any different in that effect. Family planning was going on long before oral contraceptives were invented. My parents and their parents had small families, unlike my ancestors in the 1600's and 1700's, who had families of 10-12 kids. What revolutionized relations between the sexes and brought about "free love" was a radical change in culture, and a massive youth rebellion against the conservatism of post WWII life and suburban living.

I think the pill was adopted more readily and more en-masse in some countries than in others. I know people in Sweden who had unplanned pregnancies in the 1980's. That wouldn't have happened if the pill were widely used. But I've heard that in England, it was immediately and almost universally adopted as soon as it came out. I think it was slower to catch on in the US. But among those who used it, I think what you say is probably true. Maybe the counterculture did push demand for easier, no muss-no fuss contraceptive methods.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-20-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
This video is an example of people with way too much time on their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships