Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The approximate minimum you expect a potential husband to make mid career
150K yearly 33 23.91%
100K yearly 22 15.94%
75K yearly 29 21.01%
50K yearly 29 21.01%
$15/hr 6 4.35%
None 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 05:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,337,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
I just want to be the one who brings home the bacon.
Why?
You said you'd be uncomfortable if she brought home more bacon than you.
It's clearly a threat to your masculinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 05:30 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,046,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Why?
I am a man that is why, and it was how I was raised. Same reason I pay for all the dates I have with women even the ones I don't seriously consider.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,150,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I thought he worked in a pet shop, and he just had an idea one time about selling tacos on his porch.

Same thing. You know what taco meat's made of, zen?

Old 03-14-2014, 05:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,337,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
I am a man that is why, and it was how I was raised. Same reason I pay for all the dates I have with women even the ones I don't seriously consider.
So....it's a threat to your masculinity,.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:39 PM

28,685 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? How does that work? In my experience, unless there are tons of apartments in the area (big cities), people who earn $15/hr cannot afford to live in high-income areas UNLESS they do not have an ongoing shelter (housing) payment.
Working 70 or so hours a week, someone making $15 an hour and living very frugally with roommates could do it.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:40 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,783,267 times
It's one thing if you, as the man, want to out earn your partner b/c you believe it's your responsibility to protect and provide (financially) for her and your family together ..I understand, respect, and admire that.

It's another if you want to do so b/c it makes your johnson appear bigger.

That's all I'm sayin' .

Old 03-14-2014, 05:42 PM

28,685 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post

My mom makes more than my dad and I know a lot of people who are in a situation in which the woman makes more. Guess what, being "manly" has little to do with how much money you make.

I don't have any interest in supporting someone financially who makes no money and expects to rely on me. My boyfriend makes less than me but he can support himself. That's all I care about. I don't expect him to pay for my stuff either. I can take care of myself.

However, I'd say that a man who does not think he should be able to support his wife--i.e., working as though he could-- is probably not a man any woman really wants. Married life over the long term is not "going dutch."

Old 03-14-2014, 05:44 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,046,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So....it's a threat to your masculinity,.
I really don't understand why the people here have to always attack the traditional way of doing things. You can do things your own way and I will do things my way. It seems like everything old school here is attacked while "progressive" thought is shoved down everyone's throat.

You people love to denigrate men who live by the old code by some how labeling them insecure, threatened, immature, backwards, sexist, and god knows what other nonsense labels get thrown around here. And then on top of it you try to make it seem like society is not thinking on the same levels. The fact of the matter is that a lot of the things accepted on CD are not mainstream in society instead it is looked down upon. For example, we have people here who promote open relationships, cuckolding, and god knows what other nonsense. As soon as someone shows up that doesn't buy this crap they get a mob with pitchforks after them.

This is rather amusing to me, but I feel as though people on here need to be put in their place.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:44 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Inequity in any relationship, whether it be financial, time, sexual or other major area will typically lead to some amount of conflict. Like they say most divorces are over financial differences.

People in our society love to underestimate financial stability and survival.
When they say most divorces are over financial differences - I don't think that means differences in income. I have a feeling it is more about differences in handling money - such as spending, saving, investing, etc.

I'm a stay at home mom and before I had our children, I worked here and there. Sometimes I made a lot of money but it was usually a very short contract. We have never had financial issues in our relationship. I'm in charge of our finances but we are in agreement about how much to save, what to spend money on, etc. Even if people earn the exact same amount, if one person is a spender and one person is a saver, they will likely have far greater financial differences than a couple with a huge gap in their salaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I'm just curious.

How much $ do you expect a man you will consider marrying to make? The basic minimum you expect him to make. Let's say mid 30s to early 40s in age, so he should have his career established by then. Let's say the median income geographically, so if you live in San Fransisco, chop a little off, if you live in Florida, move it a little up, etc, etc.

I'm not really interested in hearing why, I know the why. Numbers. Please just answer the poll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Just a note.

I don't really care about how much you make or don't and really don't want to hear justification. It's pretty obvious that is going to spiral the thread into doom.

Just answer the poll.
So - you basically started a poll asking women to show you how shallow they are with out trying to justify their shallowness because you already know that they are shallow and why they are shallow? And you don't understand why it's not a "nice" thread? Really?

For the record, if I found myself single right now, I wouldn't marry again unless the man was financially stable. This has no minimum income attached to it - but I have two sons so I would need to make sure that whoever I married was stable and responsible. When I met my husband, I didn't have any idea how much he made. We were both on the same tour together. In the years since we have been together, his salary has surpassed my wildest dreams - but we still aren't rich. I had no idea he would ever make this much and I certainly never had any "minimum" salary requirements. The guy that I was engaged to before was unemployed some of the time that we were together and it was never an issue. Actually, I wanted him to turn down some of the jobs he took to focus on what he said he really wanted to do - because I thought it would make him happier in the long run.

I'm actually surprised at this poll coming from you. I thought we women only cared about looks. I guess now we only care about looks AND money. Funny, I thought it was my husband's spicy sense of humor that got my attention…

Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,809,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
So you've married and gotten the golden egg from every guy you've had sex with I assume?
I am confused what you mean the golden egg... can you explain that? But if I recall properly from another thread, I remember Molli saying she waited for marriage for sex. It sticks out to me because I thought it was very admirable of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships