Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:25 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalizthenix View Post
I have a type but then society now says it's wrong to have that.

I can't help it though, since it's what gets me going physically and on an emotional level. Why then is it unfair to turn people down?
I think "society" is backwards. If anything, it is unfair to actually carry on and deceive someone into believing that you are attracted to that person when in reality, you are not.

Also, don't put so much stock on what society says. Society will tell you a whole bunch of contradictory things. You determine what you want. You don't owe anybody anything. So why put yourself through the torture of an experience you don't want in order to please society?

You have a right to turn down someone if it is not working for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 04:41 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
er....people say it's wrong to have standards, just asking why??
What are you talking about? Most people have standards.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Everyone is entitled to their own standards. The only time I find standards offputting is when someone has lofty hotness standards and low character standards, because I think that sends a wrong message.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:59 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
Who cares what society says. You seem young. Keep living. Eventually you will learn to ignore society and do what you want.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:13 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Society has never commented on my life choices, probably because society knows better.

Unless you are harming someone, live your life how you want.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-16-2014, 07:23 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
er....people say it's wrong to have standards, just asking why??
"People" say it's wrong? You must be listening to a bunch of dweebs. Anyone with a lick of sense knows that it is perfectly normal to have preferences and standards.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 PM

52,271 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I've have sort of wrestled with myself about having a "type" I thought it was small minded and shallow of me to be that way, but as of the last few yrs, I've pretty much given up on beating myself up of over it. I have a certain look in women that I like and it's just how I'm wired. I can appreciate women that fall outside of my type, but they just don't cause that stirring like the "type" I like. Most of this is moot as I've been in a LTR for a long time and am not on the market anyways.

I guess the short answer is that there isn't anything wrong with having a type or standard or however you want to label it.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:12 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Unless the OP's "type" is children or animals. Then society can step in.
Agree.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:05 AM

43 posts, read 45,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
there are differences between "standards" and "types". Standards are things like "must have high ethics", or "must be nice to dogs". "Type" is only liking someone with dark hair or a certain ethnicity. Standards are "who" they are and "type" is what they look like. Having both is not wrong, but you will miss out on wonderful people if you focus on the type. Standards are really what is important.
If this is what makes a person happy, why is that wrong?

Old 03-17-2014, 02:08 AM

43 posts, read 45,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
You are free to have your standards, but other people are just as free to critique those standards. It is a pre requisite to liberty.
Because they offend you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships