Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:28 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,355,463 times

Advertisements

Inexperienced males will likely genuinely desire...any type of female contact, including friendship. I'm not sure, but it's possible they might desire it more than a romantic relationship in many instances. Friendships are beneficial to them as a form of social experimentation. There are zero negatives, except time lost.

Lot's of people say most men and women do not want to be just friends with members of the opposite sex. This is true oftentimes, but I think it is mostly only true for experienced persons. It might also be that women typically gain fewer benefits from social experience than men, but I'm not sure.

The vast majority of inexperienced males I have known (and I was a member of an anime-watching club in my early twenties, so I've known plenty of dudes who had more knowledge about hypothetical alien species than women) don't care what they get from women, just so long as they get something. I've never known an inexperienced male (at least one under 25) who wasn't thrilled at the idea of some type of female contact...unless she is ugly. To be honest, and it doesn't make any sense, but men, even if they're gaining social experience, seem to prefer to get it from reasonable looking women. Maybe it has something to do with instinct, or status, or maybe they figure they'll take what they can get from her, but if one of those things might be something more than friendship, or something physical, all the better.

What possible reason would there be for some guy who's never been on a date, or had a girlfriend, to not want some form of female contact, or any form of female contact? Maybe he'll eventually hit on her. Maybe not, but the fact is, for now, the guy very likely does want friends.

I have known at least one woman who was getting engaged who seemed to feel similarly, who wanted social experience with the opposite sex. I think she got fed up by...too much attention though, despite the fact that she was engaged. But she did, I think, want some social experience initially. She was in her early twenties. I suspect that social experience is of less value to women than men, or maybe there are merely more risks involved with social experience for women than men.

Just saying....

Last edited by Clintone; 03-24-2014 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Friends are fine.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:22 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
What possible reason would there be for some guy who's never been on a date, or had a girlfriend, to not want some form of female contact, or any form of female contact?
He could be a haphephobe

or an anthropophobe

or homosexual

or asexual

or a leper

Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,121,043 times
I'm in my late twenties and I think the OP describes me pretty well. Sometimes getting something is better than nothing.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
I agree that the inexperienced guy would eagerly take friendship from a woman. However, I would suggest he is doing so in the hope that it will grow into more.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:45 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
I use to have social anxiety in high school and it just went away. I just said to myself if people do not like me it is there problem not mine. Woman are easy to talk to but I just need to see that I do have things to offer in a relationship. It not easy to do .

Also I should not be to hard on myself about my lack of inexperienc with woman. Also I should not lie about it was well if she does not want to date me anymore so be it.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:08 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Some of the men on this forum sometimes say some pretty dumb things, but insisting that men and women can't have friendships is the dumbest of all.

All over the world, there are women who have male friends and men who have females friends and sex never comes into it. It is very possible to enjoy the company of a person of the opposite sex and not have to sleep with them. There are other interests to relate over, that don't include sex.

Some of the guys on here apparently can't think about anything else, or have any other interests, or focus on or talk about anything else. Those guys can't have friendships without thinking about sex because there is nothing else that matters to them outside of sex. They probably can't even have guy friends without constantly thinking about sex. They can't go to dinner with their family about thinking about having sex with their woman mother and women sisters. They can't hold a job where there are women, because they can't think about anything but screwing their co-workers.

But there are a lot of men out there that have better control over their testosterone and they can do other things: have hobbies, speak to people, hold jobs, take classes, enjoy spending time with people who have common interests, without shunning the company of women because all they can think about is sex whenever they see a woman, even in the distance.

I always hope that nobody is taking any dating advice from this forum.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Some of the men on this forum sometimes say some pretty dumb things, but insisting that men and women can't have friendships is the dumbest of all.

All over the world, there are women who have male friends and men who have females friends and sex never comes into it. It is very possible to enjoy the company of a person of the opposite sex and not have to sleep with them. There are other interests to relate over, that don't include sex.

Some of the guys on here apparently can't think about anything else, or have any other interests, or focus on or talk about anything else. Those guys can't have friendships without thinking about sex because there is nothing else that matters to them outside of sex. They probably can't even have guy friends without constantly thinking about sex. They can't go to dinner with their family about thinking about having sex with their woman mother and women sisters. They can't hold a job where there are women, because they can't think about anything but screwing their co-workers.

But there are a lot of men out there that have better control over their testosterone and they can do other things: have hobbies, speak to people, hold jobs, take classes, enjoy spending time with people who have common interests, without shunning the company of women because all they can think about is sex whenever they see a woman, even in the distance.

I always hope that nobody is taking any dating advice from this forum.
Don't read too deep into the hypothetical generalities discussed on this forum. They more often than not break down in real life. Certainly they are not one size fits all, where everyone fits the mold.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:25 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
OP, it is much more likely that experienced men will have friendships with women. They have realized that a women is not just a life support system for a vagina and a woman can be good company. She can have an interesting brain, have interesting hobbies, hold a conversation, return the friendship aspects of a relationship like having your back, driving you to the airport, watering your plants for you while you are out of town, listening to your problems.......

It's the inexperienced kid who hasn't yet realized that a woman is a human being.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:50 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,576 times
I already have a couple, but wouldn't mind having female friends that are just "friends." Also, they can have a friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships