Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times

Advertisements

I was in the process of holding together all of the broken puzzle pieces of the life I wanted it to be... when I got married. It felt like a constant struggle to "make it" the relationship and the marriage and the life that I wanted it to be. . . there was no realy cherry on top that broke the relationship that I can put my finger on per se, I just got tired of herding marbles up-hill eventually. I agree with pirate girl on so many levels. . . . you can't change someone. And you can't close your eyes and look the other way and hope that things will smooth over, or get better. One of these days you just have to look at things for what they are, and go from there. I wish I hadn't been looking the other way when I got married.

He had promised he would get his driver's liscence by the time we got married. He didn't, but could I call it off? No. . . my mom had made my dress, my family had flown from overseas, everything was there. everything was ready... just hold your breath, put on a smile, look the other way, and continue walking down that aisle. I cried that day for reasons many people wouldn't ever understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 AM

200 posts, read 888,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
But they say the first year is the hardest.
For me, the first two years have been the hardest. Two years and four months later, I finally feel at peace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
My father on the other hand told me while we were walking down the aisle "are you sure, we can get outta here right now" LOL, he was joking of course my dad loves him.
That must be a "dad" thing....mine said the same thing! (Also, just joking)

Everything happened so fast with my wedding. 8 months to plan; I hardly remember the actual wedding day at all. It took me a long time to figure out that the things I didn't like about my guy wouldn't change because of a piece of paper. I was stubbornly convinced that a wedding ring would make him care about how the house looked, or that the bills needed paying.

The first few months, I honestly thought I'd made a mistake. I thought that because he didn't find the same things important that I found important, that he didn't love me like I wanted him to. Now I realize how insane that sounds. He may not find those things important, but he respects the fact that I do. That is what made me realize what I have is irreplaceable.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:24 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
I had some doubts after my dh and I got engaged. But here we are together, 32 years later. No regrets!
(I think the deal is ...I have a tendency to second-guess and overthink everything a little bit!)

Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Were you unsure of the person you married right from the start but went through with it anyway. Just curious on this one because you always here of people saying they had butterflies before the ceremony and to me thats a sure sign you might want to call it off.

I made the statement awhile back that everyone knows when somethings right and I was told, know they don't! by a close friend. So i've since changed my view on that one, I was wrong, some people don't know.
Yeah. My body was trying to tell me something... Felt anxious, couldn't sleep... it's like having this deeply buried feeling that something's wrong, but you can't put your finger on it. Of course, brushed if off as reacting to positive excitement the same way I do to negative...

Old 12-06-2007, 09:38 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
My hubby and I knew it was right before we even got married. We were walking through a dept store and picking out stuff that would go in our home before we even realized what we were doing. Thirteen years later still going strong.

I think maybe the butterflies come from just the feeling of how important that day is...the knowledge and the acceptance of the knowledge that you are pledging yourself to someone forever. I think that is a good thing.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Were you unsure of the person you married right from the start but went through with it anyway.
No. I didn't ask my wife to marry me until we'd known each other for three years and had lived together for over a year (after being burned by her ex, she wanted to live with someone before marriage so she could get to really know them, and I did as well).

I knew well before I proposed to her that I really wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. No question at all.

My *main* issue was whether or not I wanted to get formally married in the first place ... to anyone. Legal entanglements and all that.

Once I made up my mind on that issue, the rest was easy.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Were you unsure of the person you married right from the start but went through with it anyway. Just curious on this one because you always here of people saying they had butterflies before the ceremony and to me thats a sure sign you might want to call it off.
This is a great thread topic. Yes, I was unsure of the person from the start but went through with it anyway and it was a horrible mistake and I should have called it off.

I told him no to the engagement for weeks and finally said yes cause I was exhausted from resisting. (I wanted to wait 2 years until I finished college). I was 19 and he was 28 and although I accept full responsibility for my actions, in retrospect 21 years later, i see it as someone much older taking advantage of someone much younger and vulnerable in many ways. (Turned out is he that sort of person, very cutthroat, he sees what he wants and he takes it, in business, and with people.)

I ignored every bit if inutition and instinct I had, which was screaming, "This is a mistake." I knew it when I was sitting on the bed the morning of the wedding with 50 people downstairs in my parent's house waiting for the ceremony, and I told myself, "Can't call it off now, the gifts have been given delivered and it would be so embarrassing for my parents."

For me it was a big lesson in not ignoring my inuition and my instincts (my gut is way smarter than my head), and it is more important how I FEEL than, "how it would look" to anyone else. It would have saved everyone a lot of heartache, to the tune of 3 babies later, a messy divorce, horrible, I don't wish that on anyone.

I don't regret the three beautiful children I had, but what I tell them as they grow up is, "it's easier to clean up a small mess now than a bigger mess later." And who cares how it looks if you change your mind, it's more important that you are happy, and that you not make yourself and someone else miserable. The other person deserves a shot at happiness, and children deserve parents who want to be together.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-06-2007 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-06-2007, 12:14 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,855 times
I so agree with you, if as young adults we could know that all parents really want is for their kids to be truly happy and that the humility you would suffer calling it off would be overlooked in the near future, so much unhappiness would be spared in the long run...it would be so much easier for all.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
"going thru with it anyway" is the classic story of hamlet. he knew from the get go it was bad stuff he put it off as long as he could. he still had to deal with it.
i like getting my ugly dealt with right up front, it wont get any better later. the good news is sounds like you now know you made a mistake. so pick the time and place of your next battle.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:31 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
Personally I think it has to do with the times. I got married in the 70's...Back then people didn't live together and there were so many taboos.
My husband and I were friends at 16, got married at 21, had our first child at 24. We were young, but back then, that was much more mature than today's 21.
The first year was hard because we really didn't know what to expect..everything we learned, we learned together which today makes it special.
Yes, we both had butterflies but that was nerves not doom and gloom.
Fast forward, we are now 52 years old, married 30 years have 2 grown kids, 2 grandkids and we are still young enough to have a blast together and we do. Today we are still each other's best friend. It is not an easy road but a road worth taking and worth struggling for and I am glad I took the journey.

So yes, butterflies are okay..............................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships