Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:41 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,876,358 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts? Are people who've been around the block a few times happier and eventually settled down with happier than those who found someone they really connected with right off the bat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 02:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
What are your thoughts? Are people who've been around the block a few times happier and eventually settled down with happier than those who found someone they really connected with right off the bat?
I know both types of couples and can only say what I have observed (meaning who knows what really goes on in relationships behind closed doors?).

The people who have tried on fewer partners seem to be happier and more settled and less likely to break up.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:49 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I've wondered this, as well. I had a few serious relationships before I met my husband. He, however, did not. He had opportunities to date but wasn't interested in the people who were interested in him. I was the first person he got seriously romantically involved with. So, does that mean one of us is destined to be happier than the other?

Old 03-27-2014, 02:55 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I've wondered this, as well. I had a few serious relationships before I met my husband. He, however, did not. He had opportunities to date but wasn't interested in the people who were interested in him. I was the first person he got seriously romantically involved with. So, does that mean one of us is destined to be happier than the other?
I don't know if it's like that.

Maybe people who don't feel like they have to shop around just have a different attitude towards relationships.
Not a cause-and-effect thing, but a propensity towards certain behaviors/outlooks thing.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:56 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,603,421 times
There probably is no real correlation.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:58 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know both types of couples and can only say what I have observed (meaning who knows what really goes on in relationships behind closed doors?).

The people who have tried on fewer partners seem to be happier and more settled and less likely to break up.
Good observation.

Probably because they don't know what they are missing. I think my downfall is I have dated so much that I know what I want and there is probably no one that has all of the qualities rolled up into one. Actually if I met someone who had the major qualities I desire in spades I wouldn't notice the minor ones.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:06 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,876,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

The answer seems pretty self evident based on the what I've observed here...

Last edited by Philosophizer; 03-27-2014 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 03:50 PM

19,725 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Good observation.

Probably because they don't know what they are missing. I think my downfall is I have dated so much that I know what I want and there is probably no one that has all of the qualities rolled up into one. Actually if I met someone who had the major qualities I desire in spades I wouldn't notice the minor ones.
I'd have to agree.. Though I've personally noticed a lot of "happy" couples tend to define themselves by their relationships or their roles within them.. Similar to the type of person who is defined by their job.. Unconscious living- not for me.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
What do you consider around the block and what do you consider right off the bat? I'd say that most of my friends and neighbors are in really good relationships. Most of my friends were married in their early 30's - so it wasn't to their first loves. And some of the great marriages I see around me are 2nd marriages.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:55 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,214,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What do you consider around the block and what do you consider right off the bat? I'd say that most of my friends and neighbors are in really good relationships. Most of my friends were married in their early 30's - so it wasn't to their first loves. And some of the great marriages I see around me are 2nd marriages.
I agree, as usual there are a lot of assumptions and generalizations being made here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships