Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 01:21 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'm glad that I've tried my hand at a few relationships, but not because I cherish the memories. I know now that most relationships are a waste of time for me and I should only date someone I really have strong feelings for (which is rare), not just anyone who shows interest or messages me on a dating app.
I'm the same way. I've never had strong feelings. Problem is sometimes strong feelings take a bit to develop. All I ever end up doing is breaking girls hearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 10:49 AM

972 posts, read 543,303 times
It depends on the individual, because each individual can decide the extent to which romantic love is a pivotal factor in his or her life. Yes, I understand that it's blasphemous to suggest that romantic love is an individual matter that people can decide for themselves. I also understand that I will be accused of being anti romantic love because I don't give witness to its transcendence.

I'm not against romantic love, but I am against all the pressure over it. If somebody's answer is that they're fine without having loved, it isn't anybody's place to tell that person that he or she is wrong or broken. It certainly isn't their place to tell that person that if they haven't loved, they have nothing. The idea that nothing you do matters if you aren't pursuing romantic love is all over the place, but that isn't everybody's truth. A person who hasn't prioritized romantic love can still have a fulfilling life, and many lifelong non-romantics do just that. An onlooker's feelings about predetermined correctness has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by Masamune; 07-12-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 07-15-2019, 02:26 PM

892 posts, read 484,975 times
better to have lost the illusion it was love!

Old 07-15-2019, 02:33 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezku View Post
better to have lost the illusion it was love!
Agreed.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:15 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Famous saying. Do you think this is true or false?

When I think of this from a general standpoint, I think it's true and I would encourage anyone to go for something rather than live life with nothing.

But, when I personalize this (as it pertains to my own life and relationships) I think I was happier before I had love and sex, when I was inexperienced. Of course, I still dreamt of those things and wanted them when I was inexperienced, but I didn't really know what I was missing. I just had ideas. You don't really know what you're missing until you have it. Now that I have had it before and don't have it now, I find that I am less happy than I was when I was inexperienced due to knowing exactly what I am missing. I mean, comparatively speaking. So, in a sense, I think it was better to have never loved at all.

What are your thoughts?

Better to have never loved at all than to experience a loss. But losing people does help one grow and be able to develop more meaningful relationships. It's complicated. I guess.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Better to have never loved at all than to experience a loss. But losing people does help one grow and be able to develop more meaningful relationships. It's complicated. I guess.
I don't know...

I've definitely loved on many levels and I've lost in different ways. As much as I hate it to this day, but I can see how it can make us better.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
I do not regret most of my past relationships. Key word is "most". There are a few people I wish I'd never met. They were a waste of time.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:51 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
The term isn’t meant to imply you will or should feel better about a situation involving loving another, it’s implying that without having another to share your feelings with you would have never known what love could feel like....you would have never had those feelings to feel.

It’s a smaller example of the larger methodology that without the involvement and commingling of others you would be isolated in your own hubris and actions. We need others to have experiences with, share with and learn from, otherwise life is nothing more than our own isolation. What we can gain from others is wider than what we can gain by a solitary and isolated existence.
Life isn’t just about the things that bring you comfort and joy. Discomfort is an inherent part of living.
Avoiding discomfort is avoiding life. Avoiding life is avoiding living.

Last edited by rego00123; 07-16-2019 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 03:20 PM

9 posts, read 4,200 times
Definitely better to have loved and lost in my opinion. In a way, even the heartbreak is good because it means it was real - maybe that's just me!

Old 07-17-2019, 04:00 AM

818 posts, read 456,833 times
l really don't know .
And l;ve wondered believe me.
like wth are you suppose to do with feelings and memories after a 19yr marriage. How are you suppose to feel about it all .
Was it better it happened , god knows, well obviously apart from your kids if you had them.
Or what are you suppose to feel after spending 3yrs with someone and having highs like you've never had , ever, yet it still ends.
Are you lucky because you had those high in your life many won't have, or are they just more useless memories , yaknow,
To stack away with the rest of them like they didn't happen.
Then there's all the heartache and crap you go through when it all turns to crap.
Stuff you can never know if you haven't been through it.
So was it worth it.
Or would you rather have just skipped it all seems as it all came to nothing in the end anyway and with everything you went through because of it all.
Personally, l still don't know if l had the choice knowing the outcome in advance before hand, which path l'd had taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships