Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times

Advertisements

I'm lucky in that I have a lot of local haunts which all have live music.

Sadly for me the age group they are populated with, are the age group that usually hasn't aged too well.

I stand out in this age group as I have all my own hair and teeth haha, but even at my advanced dinosaur age the men are consistently failing.

One guy first of all advised me where the ladies toilets were when I first walked in, unasked. Nice of him I guess, even though I'd been there 100 times and he knew it.

He later came up and offered to protect me from all the other guys who were "bothering" me because I was a
"very pretty girl" who needed "saving"...this in front of another female friend who he totally ignored.

I asked him, why do I need saving and not my friend?

Men, honestly. I know you mean well but put your brains in...! This guy would NEVER be my type but he made darn sure he wasn't my friends type either, just by his foot-in-mouth disease.

If you're going to be chivalrous, don't discriminate ok? It's the difference between a guy I might date vs a guy I would never date.

Be nice to the ones you don't want to shag as well as the ones you do, cos the first group are watching.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
What a dummy. How does a man by himself chat up two women? Maybe some of the more successful guys can chime in. When I am with friends, any approachers are also in a group.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I'm lucky in that I have a lot of local haunts which all have live music.

Sadly for me the age group they are populated with, are the age group that usually hasn't aged too well.

I stand out in this age group as I have all my own hair and teeth haha, but even at my advanced dinosaur age the men are consistently failing.

One guy first of all advised me where the ladies toilets were when I first walked in, unasked. Nice of him I guess, even though I'd been there 100 times and he knew it.

He later came up and offered to protect me from all the other guys who were "bothering" me because I was a
"very pretty girl" who needed "saving"...this in front of another female friend who he totally ignored.

I asked him, why do I need saving and not my friend?

Men, honestly. I know you mean well but put your brains in...! This guy would NEVER be my type but he made darn sure he wasn't my friends type either, just by his foot-in-mouth disease.

If you're going to be chivalrous, don't discriminate ok? It's the difference between a guy I might date vs a guy I would never date.

Be nice to the ones you don't want to shag as well as the ones you do, cos the first group are watching.

I agree:

So...what did he say, when you asked him why he wasn't concerned with "saving" your friend? I'm on tenterhooks, here.

And btw, they're like that no matter the age. They have no idea how to talk to women. Most of them, anyway.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:15 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What a dummy. How does a man by himself chat up two women? Maybe some of the more successful guys can chime in. When I am with friends, any approachers are also in a group.
You know my personal history. I learned never to focus on one particular lady.
The one you least suspect is the one you'll hit it off the best.
Usually the one you want may not want you.

Guys just have to be nice to all the ladies and be aware of the ones that give positive signs.
It's usually not the really hot one who you ends up spending the night.

I wish I knew in college not to ignore the girl in the middle.

But even older guys can be awkward and say stupid things. Some guys never learn.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:16 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You know my personal history. I learned never to focus on one particular lady.
The one you least suspect is the one you'll hit it off the best.
Usually the one you want may not want you.

Guys just have to be nice to all the ladies and be aware of the ones that give positive signs.
It's usually not the really hot one who you ends up spending the night.

I wish I knew in college not to ignore the girl in the middle.
Couldn't rep you.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:18 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Speaking as that kind of dummy, it actually works pretty well (by guys' standards, anyway. Remember, "works pretty well" for us is still not very good, numbers-wise). It shows confidence, it doubles (or triples, or whatever) your chances, and sometimes even gets a little healthy competition going.

As mentioned, this guy did it wrong by ostracizing the OP's friend (unless he didn't know they were together for some reason). A guy is better off making friends with everyone and seeing who bites, so to speak.

Plus, the kind of "protection" offered by the guy in the OP isn't chivalry, it's a pickup. And for any women who ever wanted a bold way to pick up a guy, try it.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Not that I call myself a PUA by any means, but a while ago I read an article on this. They said if you approach more than one girl, NEVER talk to only one. You should start a conversation and engage both in the conversation but focus your body language and physical contact to the one you like. It said that if you're only talking to one, you'll surely lose the interest of both.

It's quite easy to talk to two people, keep your conversation a bit more broad and simply engage both in the conversation and keep em both interested.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
The nerve, you should've thrown your drink in his face.. lol

Old 04-14-2014, 11:06 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Not that I call myself a PUA by any means, but a while ago I read an article on this. They said if you approach more than one girl, NEVER talk to only one. You should start a conversation and engage both in the conversation but focus your body language and physical contact to the one you like. It said that if you're only talking to one, you'll surely lose the interest of both.

It's quite easy to talk to two people, keep your conversation a bit more broad and simply engage both in the conversation and keep em both interested.
This is just common sense and common courtesy. The OP's dude was just a douche. Or was too tipsy to care, and had a sweet spot for her. OP should write a book for dudes on what not to do, lol!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This is just common sense and common courtesy. The OP's dude was just a douche. Or was too tipsy to care, and had a sweet spot for her. OP should write a book for dudes on what not to do, lol!
Agreed, I can almost picture in my head what that guy looked like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships