Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 04:42 PM

21 posts, read 16,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
What is your ethnicity if you don't mind me asking? I'm Hispanic. My race is Mestizo. My mother is Spanish with green eyes. My father is mixed with his mother being blond German and his father being an aboriginal mix. Depending on whether it is winter or summer I will get I look Italian, Persian--which is different from Middle Eastern--Indian or Spanish. I exclusively date Hispanic women.

Because of anti-semitism Jewish Americans have been known to change their last name to advance in their profession. For example, Jeffrey Tubin from CNN is really Jeffry Sanders. But I honestly think those days are long gone. I have worked on Wall Street in Finance and I never got push back for my ethnicity. I went to an Ivy and I never got push back for my ethnicity. I currently reside in Southern California and I never get push back for my ethnicity.

As I indicated I exclusively date Hispanic women. But before I go any further what is your ethnicity?
I view myself as white and I exclusively date white men, because that's what I prefer.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:53 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2345 View Post
I view myself as white and I exclusively date white men, because that's what I prefer.
If you want to pass as white, go ahead and pass. Just be prepared to deal with your secret being discovered someday.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If you want to pass as white, go ahead and pass. Just be prepared to deal with your secret being discovered someday.
I identify more closely with white people. What exactly will be discovered? My skin is virtually white and I dye my hair blonde.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:59 PM

867 posts, read 909,211 times
Quote:
That's fine, but you have an ethnic hang up. It's such a hang up you can't even post it on an anonymous message board. So what is your ethnicity? Here is why I ask. I'm not going to judge. But there is no one racial or ethnic experience among Americans.

So, supposing you came back with your ethnicity is Hispanic. Fine. Race and Ethnicity are two different concepts. Race is stringent and static and American society views it as such. Ethnicity changes over time and American society views it as such. So, supposing you are Hispanic--which I really hope you are not--I would say look at your genealogy. As a Hispanic person you can be black, you can be German, you can be Irish, you can be Italian, you can be Spanish, you can be aboriginal or you can be a mix of all these things. Race and Ethnicity are different. So, for example supposing you are Hispanic and your genealogy is Irish. By definition you are white, that's race. Now, if you cannot relate at all to the Hispanic ethnicity, probably coming from Cuba, Argentina, Chile or Uruguay, then you are no longer Hispanic. In that is the case there is nothing to lie about you are a white American.

So, what is your ethnicity?

Old 04-26-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I identify more closely with white people. What exactly will be discovered? My skin is virtually white and I dye my hair blonde.
Whatever it is that makes you not 100% white could potentially be discovered. If you're not concerned about being discovered, why does it matter if it's "wrong" to lie about it?

Old 04-26-2014, 05:02 PM

52,246 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Are you white?? Not that it matters,... IDK.... maybe it's all of the spiritually books I've been reading as of the last few yrs... but race and things of that nature haven't been mattering to me lately.... you're black white, purple, whatever.....

It's the spirit and soul that I'm after... whatever wrapper that it comes in is secondary.....

Old 04-26-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
That's fine, but you have an ethnic hang up. It's such a hang up you can't even post it on an anonymous message board. So what is your ethnicity? Here is why I ask. I'm not going to judge. But there is no one racial or ethnic experience among Americans.

So, supposing you came back with your ethnicity is Hispanic. Fine. Race and Ethnicity are two different concepts. Race is stringent and static and American society views it as such. Ethnicity changes over time and American society views it as such. So, supposing you are Hispanic--which I really hope you are not--I would say look at your genealogy. As a Hispanic person you can be black, you can be German, you can be Irish, you can be Italian, you can be Spanish, you can be aboriginal or you can be a mix of all these things. Race and Ethnicity are different. So, for example supposing you are Hispanic and your genealogy is Irish. By definition you are white, that's race. Now, if you cannot relate at all to the Hispanic ethnicity, probably coming from Cuba, Argentina, Chile or Uruguay, then you are no longer Hispanic. In that is the case there is nothing to lie about you are a white American.

So, what is your ethnicity?
I prefer not to state what my actual ethnicity is, because I dislike being lectured about how I should feel, or what I should think. For this reason, I will just state that I prefer to be identified as white, because that is what I am most comfortable with.

Why is my ethnic background so important? If a person looks pretty much white, why question their race/ethnicity?

Old 04-26-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Are you white?? Not that it matters,...IDK....
If it doesn't matter, why ask?

Quote:
maybe it's all of the spiritually books I've been reading as of the last few yrs... but race and things of that nature haven't been mattering to me lately.... you're black white, purple, whatever.....

It's the spirit and soul that I'm after... whatever wrapper that it comes in is secondary.....
I prefer to view myself as white, because that is what I am most comfortable with. Also, I exclusively date white men.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Why is my ethnic background so important? If a person looks pretty much white, why question their race/ethnicity?
If it's an issue of denying a parent or side of the family that you love, you should feel bad about that. If not, who cares?

Old 04-26-2014, 05:11 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,148 times
Quote:
Is it wrong to lie?

Do you think this is wrong?
Yes. It is always wrong to LIE. No matter the circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships