Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:25 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,031,325 times

Advertisements

Sounds like your therapist offers some sound advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,783,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
She's definitely right. I think you'll come to see that attractive women are oftentimes the most friendly.
That's kind of funny because I think it's true.

I have always had an easier time talking to extremely attractive women than the ones who are less attractive. I think because I'm more motivated/excited/into it, and because the less attractive ones are always looking for something very specific/boring/ordinary/typical (much like themselves!).

Attractive women have seen it all/been around and are looking for something refreshing/different... or they have anxieties or something that also make them easier to talk to because I get to take the lead.

This is a generalization of course, but yeah-- it's always the ordinary, less attractive girls who seem to be more intimidating.

Sorry for off-topic-- ummmm OP this is why you shouldn't be afraid of attractive women!

Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 PM

867 posts, read 910,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
how? Confronting fears is pretty standard..
Yes, confronting fears is important but the job of the therapist is to teach you how to confront those fears appropriately. For example, you can't tell someone who is claustrophobic to lock themselves inside a small container until they get over it. That would just lead to further trauma.

Also, I'm a fan of therapy and right after college I had to see a therapist to get over social anxiety to improve my work place environment. The therapy was CBT and it was called gradual immersion. It took ten weeks but it worked. So, when I presented the problem to the therapist which was essentially how to feel less anxious about talking to investment clients and superiors. His reaction wasn't to say, "oh you have some kind of illness now go out their and start talking to the CEO." No, that would have lead to bad experiences and I would not have had the tools to do it at the time.

Instead, he started me off slow. Assignment one say, "good morning and hello," to everyone as soon as you get out of your car from work and throughout the day. I did it. He then would recap in the session what I learned from it. Then the next assignment, "ask how their week is going or weekend went," do the same thing. I did it. He recapped how everything was done. Again, this may seem basic but it's gradual immersion. Then he said, "follow up with them with things they said." It took ten weeks but it worked. Before I knew it I was a social butterfly in my office and because of the positive experiences it was easier to work with the tougher clients.

No therapist I know would diagnose you quickly and then tell you to just do something. Even if there is such a thing outside the internet of a fear of beautiful women it would take more than one session to diagnose. Also, the therapy would be something akin to gradual immersion. For any sort of treatable anxiety gradual immersion is the standard.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:33 PM

867 posts, read 910,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
What I would do is put women on a pedestal. I thought they goddesses. Now I know they are just regular people like myself.
Yah, I read that somewhere on a pick-up site.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,730,996 times
Quote:
What I would do is put women on a pedestal. I thought they goddesses. Now I know they are just regular people like myself.
I was about to say that! But yeah you shouldn't be like that.....I'm glad you realized the error of your ways. It is always great to see progress.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,356,356 times
Quote:
I recently started therapy. I have had anxiety all my life when it comes to dealing with women. Ironically, the therapist is an attractive woman and it made me nervous. However, once I got the trust of my therapist I calmed down. As we talked, she immediately told me that I have Caligynephobia. It is the fear or phobia of attractive women. She told me that I feel that these women are better than me. She said that if I want to get over this phobia that I needed to stop thinking these women are better than me just because they look good. Also, I need to talk to women more. She claimed, we don't bite and we aren't as scary as you think. Then she told me talk to any woman you see even if it just to say hi. Is my therapist right for this?
Yes he is right...

Caligynephobia... fear of attractive women... cracks me up.

This whole post cracks me up, but you're getting therapy...

But she is right, you must practice talking to women just to talk to them. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to get an outcome. Act as if you are already in a relationship with the woman that surpasses the woman of your dreams. Talk to women as if you are just making conversation with no intention of going any further.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,356,356 times
Quote:
You know, I'm 29 years old. I was 28 when I made a similar realization (even though I knew it mentally, I just didn't feel the same.) I think therapy saved you at least 4 years. (You're 24 if I remember correctly).

Old 04-29-2014, 06:39 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,314,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
You know, I'm 29 years old. I was 28 when I made a similar realization (even though I knew it mentally, I just didn't feel the same.) I think therapy saved you at least 4 years. (You're 24 if I remember correctly).
Yes, I am 24. I will continue seeing her, she's very encouraging and friendly.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:41 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,814,700 times
She is a licensed and trained ****ing professional. Why are you asking us?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,953,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
She is a licensed and trained ****ing professional. Why are you asking us?
because armchair psychiastrists always know best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships