Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times

Advertisements

Women, how many of you would have said "I do" to your husband if he would have asked you to sign a prenup beforehand?

Men, how many of you would say "I do" to a woman who asked you to sign a prenup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM

350 posts, read 383,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Women, how many of you would have said "I do" to your husband if he would have asked you to sign a prenup beforehand?

Men, how many of you would say "I do" to a woman who asked you to sign a prenup?
If you are a person of even modest means, the way people are these days you would be crazy not to have one especially if you marry in midlife. If someone loves you, they will understand because you have too much to lose.

You hope for the best, but the dynamics can and sometimes do change in midlife where two people who are set in their ways have to come together and actually live in the same household.

To be honest, it's because of this issue that people in middle age tend to be skeptical of marriage. If you're not going to have any kids, there is a strong argument that marriage is legally more trouble than its worth.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,617,045 times
It wouldn't make a difference. It would only prove I didn't marry her for her money. To be honest I may have a problem being with a woman who makes more money then me.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
ITo be honest I may have a problem being with a woman who makes more money then me.
Why?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
I would have said no, but it would have been a dumb question coming from my husband at the time.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I think it's safe to say that neither of us is in it for the money, so it's not really an issue.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post

Signing a marriage license is basically signing a uniform state-created prenup. In reality, I wouldn't even sign one of those.

Philosophically, I have no problem with signing a prenup that protects a woman I'm with, since I wouldn't marry her for money.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:01 AM

I don't know what the laws are in most states, but here each party has to disclose everything financial to the other and both parties have to have an ample opportunity to see a lawyer and get advice. You can't spring a prenup the night before the wedding and force someone to sign under duress.

Someone I know married someone who owns several apartment complexes. She was a divorced mom who had nothing; he had grown kids of his own. He paid for a lawyer to draft a fairly simple agreement and also paid for another attorney to look at her agreement. It had a sliding schedule where she was almost "buying" her way in, where she would get increasing portions of his estate over a 10 year period.

If you think about it, this makes a lot of sense for both parties. Who want's to put a lifetime of work up for grabs if the marriage doesn't work out?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:01 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
It would depend on how he broached the subject and what his situation is. An established guy with significant assets or children from a previous marriage would of course want to protect those assets. An insecure guy bringing nothing to the table who just didn't want me to get "half his stuff" probably wouldn't make it to the marriage point with me anyway.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Signing a marriage license is basically signing a uniform state-created prenup.
Not necessarily.

Depending on the length of marriage, some states do provide for spousal support. A failed marriage may end up costing you in the long term.

Another issue always revolves around inherited wealth and gifts. Although they technically aren't marital assets, sometimes ownership gets transferred around over the course of a marriage and they inadvertently become marital assets. Also there is sometimes the issue of increase in value ... if you inherited a house 20 years ago and have been renting it out technically the spouse may be entitled to part of whatever income generated by the house?

In this day in age, better get it down on paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships