Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:32 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
Yeah but he's OLD!! 36 is young to him, she's still 16 years younger. That's a HUGE GAP! He's 52 by the way.
Yes - but she's 36 - which is way over the hill by CD standards! I mean, he could have some 18 year old hottie but instead he fell in love with a woman way after her peak market value! Hahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 08:41 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yes - but she's 36 - which is way over the hill by CD standards! I mean, he could have some 18 year old hottie but instead he fell in love with a woman way after her peak market value! Hahaha!
But if she's just a beard, it doesn't matter.

I did have similar thoughts when I heard that Donnie Wahlberg proposed to Jenny McCarthy. He definitely could've found someone younger if that was important to him.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 AM

706 posts, read 1,205,525 times
Quote:
Very true!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
But if she's just a beard, it doesn't matter.

I did have similar thoughts when I heard that Donnie Wahlberg proposed to Jenny McCarthy. He definitely could've found someone younger if that was important to him.
Well, I don't think he's gay. But I'm not surprised that he fell in love with someone "past their prime" because I think that's just a crock that men tell themselves to make themselves feel better. Is a 65 year old woman as hot as a 25 year old woman? No - but that doesn't mean that the 65 year old is worthless. And to be honest, I can't tell the difference between a lot of people in their 20's and in their 30's unless their wardrobe is obviously very young.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
I've been divorced for a few years now & still remain single.

I do so because I enjoy my freedom & independence. Also, I like to live my life free from drama.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:04 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I agree with this, but I think it's also a defense mechanism. I think this because I've heard countless single mom's say the same thing. Date a few guys and get in a relationship with one. The relationship fizzles and they can't make anything work with the prior guys, so they say they are going to "spend more time with their children." Not one person is going to tell a single mom that that's a bad idea, but deep down they would much rather split their time between their children and a man than be "forced" to spend all their time with their kids. It's that idle time on Friday night when the kids are with their Dad, and all of a sudden they have nothing to do that they want to avoid. Being single and going to kids t-ball practice or play recital on Tuesday and Thursday nights is fun. Sitting at home on a Friday night alone is not fun. I'm definitely not saying that spending all your time with your kids is a bad thing either. Just from what I've been told by single moms that I've met, the kids didn't come up heavily till they ran out of options with men. Just talked to a single mom about it this week. She divorced her husband, because she "fell in love" with a guy she had the hots for for years. The new guy couldn't seem to get away from his ex wife and the single mom got fed up of just being the side piece. Ended up breaking it off on two occasions and now she talks about spending all her time with her kids and is constantly posting pictures of them. She didn't do this much while she was married or when she was dating the other guy. I'm happy that she wants to spend more time with her kids. I just hope it's not something that's shortlived once a guy comes into her life.

In that regard, I do believe that many people don't choose to be single. What they tried pursuing didn't work out. I know for myself before I started dating the woman I'm dating now, I didn't choose to be single either. At the time I wasn't sleeping around or anything either. I was going out on dates and nothing was working. To not feel like a loser, I even started to say that I'm just "doing me" right now. Truth is, if I would have been able to settle down with a woman during that 14 month time period, I would have not pushed it aside to "do me." Truth is, people are nosy and they want to make someone feel like they do within a relationship. Our good friends do feel bad at times, because they can't get away to hang out with their single friends. They don't want to neglect their relationships, but they also know they can't always get a way to hang out with their single friends. Life evolves and friendships stretch like bubble gum.
You make a good point.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:04 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Well, I don't think he's gay. But I'm not surprised that he fell in love with someone "past their prime" because I think that's just a crock that men tell themselves to make themselves feel better. Is a 65 year old woman as hot as a 25 year old woman? No - but that doesn't mean that the 65 year old is worthless. And to be honest, I can't tell the difference between a lot of people in their 20's and in their 30's unless their wardrobe is obviously very young.
I think George looks older than 52, so he'd look even more ridiculous with a woman in her 20s. But yes, it's nice to know that some men (e.g. Donnie) are perfectly happy with women in their own age group. Younger does not necessarily equal better, and some men are smart enough to realize that.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:08 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I disagree. I think there are many people that are single by choice as they want freedom and not to have compromise with another human being in their life.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
With the exception of George Clooney, everyone who is single is so because of a lack of options. We can't find mutual sexual attraction. Everyone we're attracted to either isn't attracted to us, or is but has better options.

Wrong, after I divorced I remained single by choice for almost 10 years with plenty of options to date, which I did or be in a long term relationship which I did not want.

Speak for yourself when making such a statement.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,526 times
I've dated most of my life. I tell the women up front, on date one, I'm likely not seeking marriage or a life partner, but one never knows. Most all still date me and yes, this has lead to some messy and emotional endings. I was married for years when I was young and was with someone (cause I got married young) who I was completely incompatible with. I am single by choice. I don't have to be. Most women I've dated would happily stay in a relationship with me indefinitely. Sorry if that sounds arrogant, but it's the truth.

My point? I am truly single by choice.

Don't project your difficult time finding "sex" or mutual attraction. (as you put it) onto everyone else's situation. I also know lots of people who are single by choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships