Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 07:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Okay, C-D. The relationships forum's prodigal son had a dilemma he could use advice on. I have just finished my first year at grad school and have summer off, so no school until late August. It took a hell of a lot of my free time. All that time invested is (hopefully) going to pay off with all As this semester.

Now beginning in May of last year I decided to take a break from dating. I have been considering getting back into it. The dilemma is I don't want to exhaust myself with dating when school comes back into session since I work FT and possibly may get a promotion over the summer. I have managed to do two out of three well but don't want to be juggling all three because something will fall and shatter.

I figure that since DC is a transient city anyway, I figure maybe I could do the college thing and date over the summer and then back off right before school starts.

Do you all thing that I'm being practical or a fool for trying to date when I know I'll need to stop in three months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:10 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Nobody said a couple of dates with a woman is a commitment. You could date casually, just to have fun and get some practice dating and meeting people. There'll probably be a lot of summer interns in town who will be leaving when the academic year starts up again, anyway. That would fit your schedule.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:14 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
As ruth said, it doesn't have to be a major commitment..... Just go, have fun, do it, don't waste a second of your life, I say this with a heavy heart as of late I've been getting nothing but bad news, but to turn a bad thing into good, would be to suggest to enjoy yourself and be kind to the women you do decide to hang with, don't listen to the drivel you hear around here.

Have fun and keep it light, I think any young lady would appreciate that.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:14 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
So long as you find someone who is also looking for the same, I don't see an issue with it.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:15 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
don't listen to the drivel you hear around here.
BEST ADVICE EVAH!

lol

Old 05-10-2014, 07:18 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Okay, C-D. The relationships forum's prodigal son had a dilemma he could use advice on. I have just finished my first year at grad school and have summer off, so no school until late August. It took a hell of a lot of my free time. All that time invested is (hopefully) going to pay off with all As this semester.

Now beginning in May of last year I decided to take a break from dating. I have been considering getting back into it. The dilemma is I don't want to exhaust myself with dating when school comes back into session since I work FT and possibly may get a promotion over the summer. I have managed to do two out of three well but don't want to be juggling all three because something will fall and shatter.

I figure that since DC is a transient city anyway, I figure maybe I could do the college thing and date over the summer and then back off right before school starts.

Do you all thing that I'm being practical or a fool for trying to date when I know I'll need to stop in three months?
Hmmm, tough situation. I guess it depends on how easily attached you get. My husband was only going to date me over the summer....

20+yrs later he's still with me. If it's meant to be, you will find a way to make it work. If it's not meant to be, it will be easy to walk away from whomever you are seeing at the time.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:21 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Hmmm, tough situation. I guess it depends on how easily attached you get. My husband was only going to date me over the summer....

20+yrs later he's still with me. If it's meant to be, you will find a way to make it work. If it's not meant to be, it will be easy to walk away from whomever you are seeing at the time.

I wanted to write something along these lines, as well.

You never know.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:15 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Heh. I know a guy whose online profiles always say he is leaving town in three months, although in truth he has lived in the same place for years and has no plans to go anywhere. He just prefers temporary relationships, so he trawls for women who are open to that.

Point is, you can find them. He does .

Old 05-10-2014, 08:52 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:

This is why interns were invented. Go forth, and enjoy the next three months before Congress lets out.

BTW, I'm doing the same thing, only in reverse. It's 50-50 that I'll be moving to your neck of the woods at the end of August, but I might have a few dates while I'm still here.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:

First, congrats on making it through your first year of grad school.

Second, why not? What would it hurt? You'll have a fun summer and then can get back to it in September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships