Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:57 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,885 times

Advertisements

I'm dating someone who I've realized has very opposite view points than me in many ways. We have some similarities too of course, but I feel he has held many of his views in, or just made assumptions, or expects me to compromise to his side.....Generally I date people who are very similar to me at least when it comes to some fundamental values and beliefs... I try to bring things up but he usually changes the subject, and I wonder if they will be problems in the long run, when it comes to raising kids, and just the future in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 08:12 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,572 times
I can't imagine being with someone who doesn't share the same fundamental values/ beliefs. My husband and I are both Christian, want the same number of kids, agree on the roles of husband and wife. We differ on many more things than we agree on like; he would rather be inside, I'd rather be outdoors even camping, he likes technology, I am not a huge fan, the list goes on and on. It's nice to not be married to a replica of myself but ultimately at the end of the day it's our matching beliefs that get us through marriage and allow us to work through anything.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Some work some don't. It concerns me that he won't let you voice your opinion.That's a control freak.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:18 PM

I know, it's quite odd. I just met his family on a several day trip together and on the surface he and I get along really well, never argue or fight and have amazing chemistry. But if I bring up things he gets uncomfortable and we just don't talk about our views/etc too much. it's starting to worry me since I know the direction he is going in and foresees a future, but I don't know if it's a control issue or just that he hates conflict/drama to such an extreme.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:41 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I know, it's quite odd. I just met his family on a several day trip together and on the surface he and I get along really well, never argue or fight and have amazing chemistry. But if I bring up things he gets uncomfortable and we just don't talk about our views/etc too much. it's starting to worry me since I know the direction he is going in and foresees a future, but I don't know if it's a control issue or just that he hates conflict/drama to such an extreme.
Although subtle, this to me would be a potential red flag because there isn't discussion around what's making him uncomfortable. He should be able to at least express himself because it helps you understand his views and values and determine long-term compatibility.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:07 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,233 times
What exactly are you talking about here?

Old 06-14-2014, 10:23 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
I think it just depends what differences you have. If he likes you like rap and he likes swing, I think you'll make it. If he thinks being monogamous is pointless and you don't.. there will be problems.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:25 AM

ok one of us: republican, pro war, pro military, anti health food/organics, very much meat and potatoes type and despises fish (can't be eaten around), ex athlete so looks perfect still and does not work out at all, anti religions (especially muslims), judgmental, hates conflict and does not communicate, pushes opinions/tastes/preferences on other one, spontaneous/procrastinator

the other one: libertarian, anti war, limited military, pro health food/organics, life long TOTAL health nut and does not really eat meat besides fish, total gym rat and loves daily physical activity, accepts all religions and believes in tolerance for all, feels need to be open and tries to communicate but does not really work, does not push personal preferences on other one, planner

both: atheists, kind, respectful, love children and animals, outgoing, very monogamous/committed, love hiking, outdoors, world travelers and domestic road trippers

Old 06-15-2014, 01:21 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
I think moreso it helps to simply be open minded toward alternate viewpoints and not be a stick in the mud who has to have things their way. Some people get really offended when others differ from their belief systems and some can tolerate it fine. Some people absolutely refuse to try foods they do not 'like' or do new things, while others will do so... Learn to appreciate the things you do have in common and don't fret about the things you do not.

Some people are real control freaks and they are better avoided in today's modern, open culture.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:42 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
If you are an accepting, curious person, it has a higher chance of working than if you are judgmental and rigid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships