Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:02 PM

663 posts, read 778,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
It depends on the context. There are tons of other aspects of the relationship to put into consideration.

The words themselves are rather controlling, but in some relationships it is not a controlling thing to say. (I know what I said doesn't make sense but I would probably have to write a book to explain what I am trying to say)
So what does that mean?

It depends on the relationship if the act is controlling?

So an overly sensitive person would define it as controlling whereas a thick skinned person would not?

For example, my buddy would text me, "basketball claridge park 7:00PM sharp. Don't be late."

if I texted that to a girl then it would be considered "controlling" right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 12:20 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
So what does that mean?

It depends on the relationship if the act is controlling?

So an overly sensitive person would define it as controlling whereas a thick skinned person would not?

For example, my buddy would text me, "basketball claridge park 7:00PM sharp. Don't be late."

if I texted that to a girl then it would be considered "controlling" right?

I know you are working with me here. I'm doing my best to verbalize it, but keep working with me. (I need to learn how to talk because I am getting tired of dropping F bombs and you are helping me refine my language ).

I'd say "controlling" is more on the person on the giving end than the person on the receiving end. If the overly sensitive person is feeling controlled, it is that person's responsibility to talk it out with the person he or she perceives as controlling. Just because you feel controlled may not necessarily mean you are being controlled.

That text, even though it is in the form of a command "7:00PM sharp. Don't be late." It is not necessarily controlling. It could be that if you are late, you are going to miss something that you would enjoy. Even if texted to a girl it wouldn't necessarily be considered controlling.

However, if you were late and the person who sent the text got really dangerous on you (threatened or committed physical harm for instance), then that is more controlling.

Okay, now that I think about it, I guess there is a little bit of control in even the most healthy of relationships depending how you look at it. I guess the correct terminology would be overly controlling.

You made me think. I love it!!!

Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 PM

663 posts, read 778,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I know you are working with me here. I'm doing my best to verbalize it, but keep working with me. (I need to learn how to talk because I am getting tired of dropping F bombs and you are helping me refine my language ).

I'd say "controlling" is more on the person on the giving end than the person on the receiving end. If the overly sensitive person is feeling controlled, it is that person's responsibility to talk it out with the person he or she perceives as controlling. Just because you feel controlled may not necessarily mean you are being controlled.

That text, even though it is in the form of a command "7:00PM sharp. Don't be late." It is not necessarily controlling. It could be that if you are late, you are going to miss something that you would enjoy. Even if texted to a girl it wouldn't necessarily be considered controlling.

However, if you were late and the person who sent the text got really dangerous on you (threatened or committed physical harm for instance), then that is more controlling.

Okay, now that I think about it, I guess there is a little bit of control in even the most healthy of relationships depending how you look at it. I guess the correct terminology would be overly controlling.

You made me think. I love it!!!
Using fleetiebelle's example:

Ok so if I told my buddy: "Don't wear that, you look like an idiot/douche/retard/whatever!" is that controlling?

if I told my sister: "don't wear that, you look like a SL*T." is that controlling?

if I told my gf: "Don't wear that, you look like a SL*T." is that controlling?

Old 06-17-2014, 12:32 PM

675 posts, read 544,292 times
People, the OP is trolling.

Unless he is mentally retarded he knows the difference between teasing and controlling.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
People, the OP is trolling.

Unless he is mentally retarded he knows the difference between teasing and controlling.
^^^This.

As he said upthread: "I find it way more amusing hearing each of your definitions."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships