Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
So essentially you are trying to convince yourself that it's okay be in a relationship with someone who blatantly commits insurance fraud via unemployment as well as tax evasion because he certainly isn't reporting his side income to the IRS. It doesn't sound like he has no ambition, it sounds like he's perfectly fine having the system take care of him. If that's the case he has no motivation to move beyond his level of comfort. It's much like the scene in that move Precious where her mom tells her not to show how smart she can be because she'll mess up their situation. He has what he thinks is a lifestyle that is "good enough" so from his perspective, why risk ruining it.
What's your opinion on people like him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercream View Post

Who cares what some stranger's opinion of your bf is?
You have an opinion so act on it.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
He's so great except _insert glaring fault_.

So then he is not great.

Move on.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:07 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
This thread sounds extremely familiar for some reason.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:10 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,944 times
Why cange someone ? It is one thing if a guy leaves the toilet seat up or give up smoking that is not a big change . I just think if you want someone make big changes they will end up hating you in the end.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This thread sounds extremely familiar for some reason.
Yeah. But in case it's real:

Why would the OP want a relationship with a welfare cheat, some one who lacks motivation?

He sounds like a dishonest bum.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:53 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,329 times
...but if you train him just right you will live happily ever after!

Old 06-21-2014, 02:30 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
I'm in a very loving relationship, my boyfriend checks all the boxes for a great partner, at least emotionally and mentally. The thing about him that's been bothering me is... He's 25 and he has no ambition. It's a problem for me because even though I'm only 21, I think about our future a lot. I obviously want us to get married and have a family together one day. I'm in university, and constantly dwelling on my future. He's 25, never gone to college before and spends his time everyday doing nothing. We don't live together.
Why are you contemplating marriage with a guy like this? You two don't have much, if anything, in common. 21 is awfully young to be thinking about marriage, anyway. Your story doesn't come across as believable. How can he be a great partner emotionally and mentally if he's collecting benefits for mental/emotional problems?

I wouldn't look for a career as a fiction writer, if I were you.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-21-2014 at 02:46 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
This is such a blatant banner of don't just get out - get out now!

He will always be this way and you have listed some real heavy stuff you don't like about him which appears to far out weigh what you do like about him.

What I read between the lines here is you are only with him, because you are afraid you aren't going to find someone else, or someone who has the qualities about him you like?

You mention him being a good 'counselor' and that is telling in that are you looking for that? Is that something that you lean on? It's easy to be an armchair psychologist - there are a ton of them posting in your thread alone.

This is a mess which is already a set pattern - and don't blame his parents to justify his behavior it doesn't fly.

He is what he is and he's already figured out a way to skate around things and he will with you as well. You'll be supporting him alright - not just figuratively or emotionally.

Just my take on it.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:13 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Quote:
They are looking for someone to take care of them.

Fast forward 5 years...

You are trying to cook, clean, feed and bathe 2 kids while he is sitting on the couch.

I think you know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships