Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:57 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I don't understand why couples have to get to a 'point' where they don't use protection anymore, unless they want a baby I don't see the reason they have to stop and why that is expected. You can't trust anyone not to cheat and lie about cheating.

For that matter (i.e., beyond the possibility of one person or the other having cheated), one person or the other may have been the victim of sexual assault (rape, molestation, incest, et al) and are too embarrassed or traumatized to reveal it. So instead of trusting everyone to be wholly forthcoming about every single sexual experience they have ever had (including both voluntary and involuntary sexual experiences), it is best to use protection and be each tested at regular intervals for the cross-section of diseases. How regular should the intervals be? I don't know. (Every six months? every year?)

And, for that matter, some may contract a STI/STD from a medical, surgical or dental procedure. And, if my memory serves me correctly, HPV, besides being able to not show any symptoms for many years after initial contact, can also be contracted by simple skin-to-skin contact with an infected person (i.e., not even involving exchange of body fluids or penetration of any of either person's bodily orifices).

Last edited by UsAll; 07-05-2014 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 02:33 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,426,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
My friend just learned that she contracted gonorrhea from a guy she recently dated. She's kind of flipping her sh*t, and I don't blame her--I would be too! On the other hand, I am a big proponent of safe sex all the time, every time, so I'm not worried about it happening to me.

Yet apparently when she contacted this douchenozzle to let him know, he said "sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know." As if he had accidentally eaten her yogurt out of the fridge at work, instead of given her an STI!

Now I realize that gonorrhea is treatable early, and I know that stuff happens, but isn't this a bigger deal than this dude is making it out to be? Or has this just become the acceptable risk of dating these days?
A permanent std is a very big deal. A treatable one is somewhat of a big deal if you are in a relationship as it indicates someone is messing around. It sounds like your friend situation was more casual and the guy probably figures it's par for the course. Your friend should find a faithful steady guy and be a faithful and steady girl. And she may want to get tested for HIV.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:00 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
For that matter (i.e., beyond the possibility of one person or the other having cheated), one person or the other may have been the victim of sexual assault (rape, molestation, incest, et al) and are too embarrassed or traumatized to reveal it. So instead of trusting everyone to be wholly forthcoming about every single sexual experience they have ever had (including both voluntary and involuntary sexual experiences), it is best to use protection and be each tested at regular intervals for the cross-section of diseases. How regular should the intervals be? I don't know. (Every six months? every year?)

And, for that matter, some may contract a STI/STD from a medical, surgical or dental procedure. And, if my memory serves me correctly, HPV, besides being able to not show any symptoms for many years after initial contact, can also be contracted by simple skin-to-skin contact with an infected person (i.e., not even involving exchange of body fluids or penetration of any of either person's bodily orifices).

but the thing people don't seem to think that way, they seem to come to a point where it is 'okay' to not use protection anymore. I don't understand that. I agree with you people should keep using it and get tested regularly.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
Maybe some of you "sexually active" people should read about the side effects of all the STD's. I recently learned that something as seemingly harmless as HPV can cause infertility in women, along with certain types of cancer. Did you know that there are some strains of gonorrhea that are extremely resistant to antibiotics. Do the guys know that one of the risk factors for prostrate cancer is multiple sexual partners. All this bed hoping is going to mess up a lot of folks lives.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Maybe some of you "sexually active" people should read about the side effects of all the STD's. I recently learned that something as seemingly harmless as HPV can cause infertility in women, along with certain types of cancer. Did you know that there are some strains of gonorrhea that are extremely resistant to antibiotics. Do the guys know that one of the risk factors for prostrate cancer is multiple sexual partners. All this bed hoping is going to mess up a lot of folks lives.
Not only that, but there's nothing guaranteeing that you'll get a "curable" STD if you have unprotected sex. It's a crap shoot every time. I think some people are too casual about how treatable some of them are to realize that there are others that will affect you for the rest of your life.

Hence why my friend's situation is so alarming to me!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, maybe he didn't know he had gonorrhea? The problem with a lot of STDs is people don't know they have it or they're asymptomatic while still remaining contagious.

If you're going to have sex with someone outside of a committed relationship (heck, even in a committed relationship given that something like HPV can be undetectable), you just have to accept it as a risk. Especially if you're having sex without a condom.

Frankly, gonorrhea is entirely curable. Why was she getting so upset about it? Take the antibiotics and move on. Hepatitis, herpes, HIV are all serious concerns. And HPV is scary, but widespread and hard to prevent or sometimes even know you have.

Did he KNOW he had gonorrhea when he slept with her? I'd be REALLY cranked then, but otherwise I'm not sure he should have even apologized. Do you apologize to someone for accidentally giving them a cold?

If you can't handle the possibility of an STD, you shouldn't be having sex. It's like driving around and freaking out if a rock flies up and dings your windshield. It happens.
You're wrong. People need to be protecting themselves and be honest with their partners. People who can't do THAT shouldn't be having sex.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
You're wrong. People need to be protecting themselves and be honest with their partners. People who can't do THAT shouldn't be having sex.

Sure, but how would a guy be honest about HPV? Again, not much an issue for the younger generation as there is a vaccine, but most active adults have it and there is no test for guys. Sadly, the negatives are mostly for women with it, but only a couple of the many strains can cause issues... and condoms don't prevent transmission. Most people don't know they have HSV2 either and are asymptomatic, and its not in the standard screen. You often have to fight or doctor/clinic shop to get it. People can only tell their partners what they actually know.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:19 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,450,144 times
Is contracting an STI/STD really NOT that big a deal in this day and age?

Not on my planet. I am deathly afraid of it, that's one of million reasons why I remained a virgin. Your friend got lucky she got the treatable one. But the douche is wow, the nonchalance is dangerous. What if he has HIV or herpes?

Oh thanks for letting me know I gave you a disease that you will suffer for the rest of your life. Those people need to be shot. Like seriously.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
Is contracting an STI/STD really NOT that big a deal in this day and age?

Not on my planet. I am deathly afraid of it, that's one of million reasons why I remained a virgin. Your friend got lucky she got the treatable one. But the douche is wow, the nonchalance is dangerous. What if he has HIV or herpes?

Oh thanks for letting me know I gave you a disease that you will suffer for the rest of your life. Those people need to be shot. Like seriously.
Right? I kind of still want to punch him in the face. And honestly, I want to slap some sense into my friend as well.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:56 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, but how would a guy be honest about HPV? Again, not much an issue for the younger generation as there is a vaccine, but most active adults have it and there is no test for guys. Sadly, the negatives are mostly for women with it, but only a couple of the many strains can cause issues... and condoms don't prevent transmission. Most people don't know they have HSV2 either and are asymptomatic, and its not in the standard screen. You often have to fight or doctor/clinic shop to get it. People can only tell their partners what they actually know.
Bologne. That's just an excuse used by guys everywhere to keep spreading disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships