Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 AM

898 posts, read 938,051 times

Advertisements

I’m the first to admit it: we might be popular, we might create a lot of great relationships, we might blah blah blah. But OkCupid doesn’t really know what it’s doing.

Read more: We Experiment on Human Beings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 AM

432 posts, read 362,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I’m the first to admit it: we might be popular, we might create a lot of great relationships, we might blah blah blah. But OkCupid doesn’t really know what it’s doing.

Read more: We Experiment on Human Beings
Online dating doesn't know what it's doing in general.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:10 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
It doesn't surprise me - people chuck their critical thinking out the window sometimes. I put more faith in those percentages, but I always search their answers for "unacceptable" responses before I contact someone. I don't trust an email from OKC telling me someone is a good fit for me.

Some people are sheep. Is it ethical? I dunno. Don't really care. Maybe it will get people to be less gullible, hearing about this.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It doesn't surprise me - people chuck their critical thinking out the window sometimes. I put more faith in those percentages, but I always search their answers for "unacceptable" responses before I contact someone. I don't trust an email from OKC telling me someone is a good fit for me.

Some people are sheep. Is it ethical? I dunno. Don't really care. Maybe it will get people to be less gullible, hearing about this.
On the contrary, I think the match percentages are a farce (maybe that's the experiment). The dates I went on with girls who were a 95% match or higher were pitiful. The dates I went on with girls under 90% were far better.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:25 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
There is nothing negative to me in that article, for some reason people are seeing negativity due to the word "experiment". But if you read it, they are simply experimenting with different strategies to try to determine how people date select the people they date, etc. In the end, this type of thing results in data that make our lives easier and maybe dating easier. It's not like they are playing games with people or hooking them up to electrodes, just trying to determine patterns of mate selection based on data from their users.

When you go in the supermarket, and they have the kid's cereal at kid's eye level, and they put certain things on end caps, placement and location of every product, is a result of "experimenting" and using data from their shoppers patterns to determine why people buy the things we do and how to get us to buy more. Same thing in Target, and with most every business. There's a whole business around it with its' own degree, Marketing Psychology. Nothing new here, folks.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-29-2014 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
I am not so sure that everyone on the site is human... pretty sure there are bots and extraterrestrials too

Just kidding, just kidding. But yeah, online dating just doesn't seem to work for me. Glad I pulled out of "the experiment."

Old 07-29-2014, 08:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
On the contrary, I think the match percentages are a farce (maybe that's the experiment). The dates I went on with girls who were a 95% match or higher were pitiful. The dates I went on with girls under 90% were far better.

I've found them incredibly accurate. I've never had a bad time connecting with someone 90%+, but I answer a lot of questions and contact people that do the same. Not 50 or a 100, but several hundred. The people under 80% were horrendous, we just would never even be friends. No connection.

Sometimes though when the percentage is too high it feels like a sibling/platonic friend from the beginning.

The person I'm dating now, and the last person I dated, we both met in the wild, but when we compared profiles were were both over 92% in the match category.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've found them incredibly accurate. I've never had a bad time connecting with someone 90%+, but I answer a lot of questions and contact people that do the same. Not 50 or a 100, but several hundred. The people under 80% were horrendous, we just would never even be friends. No connection.

Sometimes though when the percentage is too high it feels like a sibling/platonic friend from the beginning.

The person I'm dating now, and the last person I dated, we both met in the wild, but when we compared profiles were were both over 92% in the match category.
I've answered 600+ questions on there. The first girl I met (97%) had a bubbly personality, but was overweight and inactive (couldn't tell from the close up selfies she took of herself ). She would not have fit into my lifestyle. The second girl I met (95%) was extremely shy and socially awkward. I'm an introvert and shy, but her level of shyness far exceeded mine. The third girl I met (96%) was a little improvement on the other two, but I didn't really feel a connection. The fourth girl I met (98%) was a smug, uber-competitive, vegan yuppie who claimed to be a cyclist, but really just rode around town on a vintage cruiser bike. The best match I had was with a girl (87%) who came across as an aggressive Type-A in her profile and who ended up being bi-sexual. We've been talking for weeks now.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There is nothing negative to me in that article, for some reason people are seeing negativity due to the word "experiment". But if you read it, they are simply experimenting with different strategies to try to determine how people date select the people they date, etc. In the end, this type of thing results in data that make our lives easier and maybe dating easier. It's not like they are playing games with people or hooking them up to electrodes, just trying to determine patterns of mate selection based on data from their users.

When you go in the supermarket, and they have the kid's cereal at kid's eye level, and they put certain things on end caps, placement and location of every product, is a result of "experimenting" and using data from their shoppers patterns to determine why people buy the things we do and how to get us to buy more. Same thing in Target, and with most every business. There's a whole business around it with its' own degree, Marketing Psychology. Nothing new here, folks.
You make some good points. I guess I'm more concerned with whether these "experiments" are impacting the matches I'm getting, which have not been that great so far.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:15 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
You make some good points. I guess I'm more concerned with whether these "experiments" are impacting the matches I'm getting, which have not been that great so far.
I never liked the matching sites, there was never anyone in my area that was a match anyway. I've heard that complaint for a long time though, so I'd guess they are doing this as an attempt to improve the accuracy of the matches.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-29-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships