Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:55 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times

Advertisements

What about insecurities? Does the older person worry that their partner will leave them for someone their own age? Does the younger person worry that their partner will see them as naive and overcompensate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
What about insecurities? Does the older person worry that their partner will leave them for someone their own age? Does the younger person worry that their partner will see them as naive and overcompensate?
I don't think he worries about that, having the type relationship that we do. Being 25 I will admit that I am not always the most mature bulb in the string, but I wouldn't classify it as being naive. If I am being a PITA or acting childish ( I have my moments, I won't lie lol) he lets me know in no uncertain terms. Acting pissy or pouting doesn't work on him.
While we were on vacation we were getting ready to take the skiff to the island so we could meet some of his friends for dinner. I was having a bad hair day and had been arguing with my mom on the phone. I was ready for a fight so when he asked me to step it up a notch I took offense. He turned and walked out of the cabin and instead of just letting it drop I followed him on deck and started complaining... Awwww come here sweetheart. He picked me up in his arms and...... Deposited me over the side. When I came up coughing and choking and totally shocked! he said, we don't do that here and held out his hand to help me back aboard.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:19 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
In Dec 2011 at a bar in West Los Angeles I was waiting for a group of buddies to show up. Anyways, I was sitting alone and was approached by a woman, and it became clear she was interested in me. We started hitting it off and decided to meet up in a few days. I was about to turn 25, she was 32 going on 33.

The relationship lasted about a year, and we never did have any problems. In fact the eight year gap was never discussed, among ourselves or with friends or family.

I guess if it were more than 10 or 15 years, it would have been different, but not in this case. I have never been with anyone more than three years younger. And three years does not count.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:24 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Quote:

Good question, never thought about it! In my case she was not insecure, or at least never revealed it to me. But I guess it is an issue, especially when the younger person is in their "prime years", say 18-35, and the older one is well into middle aged. They wonder will my partner find someone more attractive? I have never been much older than any partner, and I am only 27, but I guess if I were 47 with a hot 25 year old, sure I'd been having those thoughts run through my head!

Old 08-01-2014, 04:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Oh, goodness, no, Denny. I've seen guys who are 45 who look to be in their late 30s and guys who are 45 who look like they are in their mid-50s.

It really depends on a lot of things: Genes, how people treated their bodies in their 20s or 30s, and stress. Your lifestyle comes home to roost in your 40s. If you've avoided the sun, didn't smoke, didn't treat your body like a toxic waste dump, and generally stayed active, you'll most likely look pretty good. If it's the opposite, you'll start looking pretty haggard not long after the big 4-0, so that by the time you're 50, you'll look every minute of it and possibly then some.
But I have met (seen) plenty of hot 40+ guys out there in the wild. I wouldn't have pegged them over 35, but some people give off better real age clues than others, so I am getting pretty good at sussing out the over 40s who look under 40!

I haven't had a big age gap relationship, I tend to stick to people pretty close to my age, give or take a few years. And I have always thought I'd end up with a younger person. What I am finding interesting now, is that I am attracting more older people, right at that 8-10 years older mark. But what I haven't figured out is how old they think I am. Their answer probably shapes whether or not I'd go out with them. LOL.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
This is for the people who are in or have been in relationships with someone at least 10 years younger or older. What are the biggest problems you've run into as a result of dating someone older/younger? What issues weren't nearly as big a deal as you thought they'd be? How much does it matter if the woman is older as opposed to the man? Did things change after the younger person reached a certain age? Meaning, did the age gap cease to be an issue (if it ever was) after the younger person turned 40, for example?

No problems with my Husband and I and he is 10 years older than me.
His parents and my Grandparents are the same age so we were essentially raised by the same generation.
His influence being his parents and my influence being my Mother and my Grandparents.

The biggest issue that my Husband and I have when it comes to compatability is that he loves the television and I've never been a television watcher and he thinks all of his jokes are funny (most of them are stupid)...

Old 08-01-2014, 11:34 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,136 times
Quote:
I'm right at 10 years older than my SO and I'll admit the thought has crossed my mind that at 38, she could easily go get her a 25 year old and boot me but why worry, I either have her or I don't. Fortunately we are still very much in love with each other and have been spending more time together than ever before, and things are as good as it gets right now.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:19 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,568 times
I almost married a man 18 years older than I am, but the age difference was rarely an issue. What I found was an issue were the guys who are 6 years younger than I am thinking we have an enormous age difference. Go figure.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:34 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
In Dec 2011 at a bar in West Los Angeles I was waiting for a group of buddies to show up. Anyways, I was sitting alone and was approached by a woman, and it became clear she was interested in me. We started hitting it off and decided to meet up in a few days. I was about to turn 25, she was 32 going on 33.

The relationship lasted about a year, and we never did have any problems. In fact the eight year gap was never discussed, among ourselves or with friends or family.

I guess if it were more than 10 or 15 years, it would have been different, but not in this case. I have never been with anyone more than three years younger. And three years does not count.
This sounds like the beginning of an unusual epic, and then it just sort of fizzles into a general answer to the OP.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 PM

818 posts, read 917,271 times
Quote:
This is for the people who are in or have been in relationships with someone at least 10 years younger or older. What are the biggest problems you've run into as a result of dating someone older/younger? What issues weren't nearly as big a deal as you thought they'd be? How much does it matter if the woman is older as opposed to the man? Did things change after the younger person reached a certain age? Meaning, did the age gap cease to be an issue (if it ever was) after the younger person turned 40, for example?
Of course it will depend on both people but in general if both are over 25 there shouldn't be much of a problem. Maybe taste in music ? at times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships