Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 02:03 AM

774 posts, read 906,671 times

Advertisements

She was just a deadbeat who wrongly thought I had money. I loved her but the woman I loved was only in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 03:01 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
The main benefit to long distance relationships is you basically can get all the drama of a relationship without actually having to commit to a day to day relationship. It's relationship lite.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:49 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
People seem to be always talking about Long Distance Relationships as negative but I think there are a lot of positive things about long distance relationships like.
Being away from each other makes you miss that person more
You both can have separate lives so you can be independent of the other person.
You do not have so much physical contact so it makes you work on other parts of the relationship
What other benefits are there to long distance relationships? Do you agree with these benefits?
You can make up junk while rolling your eyes on the other end of the phone.

You can be doing someone else while talking on the phone with them.

Yeah, I can see the benefits.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:18 AM

250 posts, read 328,499 times
It can be a refining fire,bringing out any impurities to the surface (insecurities and etc). Also to make it work you have to be creative with the way you communicate because a lot of things that are said are non verbal.I was in a LDR with my wife for approx a year and 4 months.It was tough but with prayer,patience and understanding we got through that phase.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:04 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
It takes a certain type of people to make long-distance relationships a success. And BOTH need to be of this certain type to make it work.

I couldn't do it. For me, absence does not make the heart grow fonder. And while I prefer to be with someone, I would prefer to be alone than have a mate who's always gone.
Exactly.In the long run it only works if one is willing to move.Many of my friends moved to their romantic interest, although many divorced.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
I had a LDR with my husband.

We met at the end of our senior year of HS. Dated for about 3 months and then he was going off to college, I was staying home to go to school and work full-time. We decided to keep it going and see what happened. We were about 7-8 hours by car.

There were benefits for us. Still able to be in each others lives, but we could still focus on our goals. I saw him on breaks and over the summers for the first two years. We talked on the phone daily, wrote letters to each other quite frequently (this was before e-mail) and had a cassette tape (dating myself now!) that we'd send back and forth. He'd get it and put a song on it for me and mail it to me, and then I'd get it and put a song on it for him and mail it back.

After 2 yrs I transferred to a school about 30 minutes from his. We saw each other almost every weekend for those two years, rarely during the week unless one of us was sick or had a day off.

It wasn't ideal, but it worked out really well for us. Oh, and those tapes...a LOT of those songs were played at our wedding

Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I had a LDR with my husband.

We met at the end of our senior year of HS. Dated for about 3 months and then he was going off to college, I was staying home to go to school and work full-time. We decided to keep it going and see what happened. We were about 7-8 hours by car.

There were benefits for us. Still able to be in each others lives, but we could still focus on our goals. I saw him on breaks and over the summers for the first two years. We talked on the phone daily, wrote letters to each other quite frequently (this was before e-mail) and had a cassette tape (dating myself now!) that we'd send back and forth. He'd get it and put a song on it for me and mail it to me, and then I'd get it and put a song on it for him and mail it back.

After 2 yrs I transferred to a school about 30 minutes from his. We saw each other almost every weekend for those two years, rarely during the week unless one of us was sick or had a day off.

It wasn't ideal, but it worked out really well for us. Oh, and those tapes...a LOT of those songs were played at our wedding
That's normal for college youngens but could you do that now? Say you were single and no kids.Would you uproot your life to go to a guy?

I personally can't.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
That's normal for college youngens but could you do that now? Say you were single and no kids.Would you uproot your life to go to a guy?

I personally can't.
That's hard to answer. My job allows me to easily move anywhere in the country and I have no other family here so I guess I could do it again (if I were ever single with no kids).

I have roots here now, but I can easily pull them out if need be. I don't get tied to an area that much. I mean I love the area I'm in now, but I could easily love somewhere else too.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:49 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
stormeagle, i have to agree with the others, there is no advantage to a long distance relationship, they are generally doomed to failure. this is not to say that there are not successful LDRs, but that they are few and far between.
Maybe advantages was the wrong word to use maybe positive is a better word. I understand some people can not do not do long distance I get it I just do not like when people say any long distance relationships do not work when that is not true.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:57 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
People seem to be always talking about Long Distance Relationships as negative but I think there are a lot of positive things about long distance relationships like.
Being away from each other makes you miss that person more
You both can have separate lives so you can be independent of the other person.
You do not have so much physical contact so it makes you work on other parts of the relationship
What other benefits are there to long distance relationships? Do you agree with these benefits?
True, also less arguments maybe lol, but it's definitely some positives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships