Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 PM

53 posts, read 76,352 times

Advertisements

I've been dating a girl I think is more of the homebody/introvert type. While I'm not exactly the life of the party myself, I do crave socializing. Going out with friends to bars, going to concerts, and staying out late has always been a big part of my enjoyment in life.

I enjoy doing the day to day stuff with her like making meals, shopping, day trips, going to dinners/happy hours. However, I feel like she is more comfortable and desires to end nights early. I feel like she prefers less stimulating environments than I do. I had a previous gf who always gave me **** about wanting to socialize, this girl has some very similar qualities to her. I don't want this to ruin what seems to be an otherwise fruitful opportunity. I'd hate to end what seems like an otherwise fruitful relationship but restraining my social habits makes me unhappy. Has anyone had any experience dating an introvert? Is dating an introvert not an option for someone like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Just mix things up and she should be fine. Although its probably not going to work if you don't enjoy going out just you and her.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:49 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,696 times
Any reason why you seem geared towards girls who don't like to socialize as much as you do?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Bribe her or convince her it's for a good cause.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,027,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
Any reason why you seem geared towards girls who don't like to socialize as much as you do?
I wondered this as well.

I know of one example where an acquaintance is married, and he and his buddies like to socialize a lot, much more than their wives do. So what they do is after the wives and kids have gone to bed on Thursday evenings, the guys go out to the local pub and hang out, play pool, darts, drink beer. This fulfills their socializing needs, without taking away from time with their wives and kids.

You can find ways around it that doesn't have to spell the end of a relationship. The key is compromise on both sides.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:10 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,046 times
Idk if it's possible to compromise on this actually.
I'm a homebody/introvert.
I hate bars & clubs...
( But I do like a good pub every once in awhile )
If I met a guy who had a serious habit of going out partying I wouldn't waste my time or his.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:32 PM

53 posts, read 76,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Idk if it's possible to compromise on this actually.
I'm a homebody/introvert.
I hate bars & clubs...
( But I do like a good pub every once in awhile )
If I met a guy who had a serious habit of going out partying I wouldn't waste my time or his.
There is definitely a spectrum here. She does go out with me some, just not as much as I'd like. Coincidentally, there haven't been a huge number of social opportunities with my friends since we started dating a couple months ago. I do realize I'm getting older also (30), so my "partying" days aren't as frequent as they used to be. However, I still yearn for the laughs produced in social settings.

I met this girl online. The previous gf I met through a mutual friend. For me, dating usually starts with a lot of alone time between my and my lady. A lot of "party girls" don't share the same level of mental stability and responsibility that more homebody types do. By the time I introduce her to other people, I usually have a pretty good idea if I like them as a person or not.

I don't wish to start an argument over this, but I also hate dragging people to do things they don't want to. Are my expectations to have a responsible, intelligent party animal like myself realistic? How can I discuss my preferences without upsetting her? Should I try to push her out of her comfort zone a bit and see how she reacts?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:41 PM

214 posts, read 206,882 times
I never get this, to be honest, since basically once people get into serious relationships or married, they all become introverted homebodies, right? I mean, for the most part everyone I know who is married just goes to work, comes home, and that's it. I'm not married and I have trouble even having a phone conversation with them. After five minutes, they always have to go and run an errand or take care of kids or whatever married people do. That includes people who used to be big into clubbing or hitting bars.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:46 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoforastig View Post
There is definitely a spectrum here. She does go out with me some, just not as much as I'd like. Coincidentally, there haven't been a huge number of social opportunities with my friends since we started dating a couple months ago. I do realize I'm getting older also (30), so my "partying" days aren't as frequent as they used to be. However, I still yearn for the laughs produced in social settings.

I met this girl online. The previous gf I met through a mutual friend. For me, dating usually starts with a lot of alone time between my and my lady. A lot of "party girls" don't share the same level of mental stability and responsibility that more homebody types do. By the time I introduce her to other people, I usually have a pretty good idea if I like them as a person or not.

I don't wish to start an argument over this, but I also hate dragging people to do things they don't want to. Are my expectations to have a responsible, intelligent party animal like myself realistic? How can I discuss my preferences without upsetting her? Should I try to push her out of her comfort zone a bit and see how she reacts?

Bolded line is spot on
So much of this depends on how hard core of an introvert she is, lol
I love concerts....some introverts don't do crowds at all.....
Try to offer it in small doses, lol
Don't push too much too soon, or it can backfire

Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,089 times
In my long life, I have never known someone who changed from being an introvert to an extrovert or vice versa. I think it is hardwired.

I think you should plan on her never changing, and see if you are ok with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships