Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 11:55 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As I stated in my earlier post I also grew up with the flip side, as most people have, being that women did cater to men, as in serving food, etc. That type of behavior (taking a backseat) is still as prevalent as chivalry where I live mostly among the older generations. Times are changing in both respects.
If you are so bothered by American culture perhaps you should confine yourself to Asian countries.
Not bothered. It’s just an observation like the ones everybody around here has in this and other threads. I guess the women who start threads about how bad it is to do house chores and cook should consider moving somewhere else as well. Yes, times are changing and through the process you will have women complain about how wrong it is to cater to men and do house chores just like you’ll have men be against chivalry and how one-sided it is. But, like you, I rather have men and women treating each other with respect. I may be the minority but I don’t like the idea of labeling actions “a man’s/woman’s job” unless one is not physically capable to do something because of their gender.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
My theory on that physiologically gen x and millenials have higher testoterone levels and this drives their dating/mating behavior. Baby Boomer men have lower testoterone levels (due to aging) this may cause them to be more passive (I consider chivalry to be in the arsenal of alpha male behavior) Also, men of this generation have probably been through at least one divorce, possibly more..so they are more jaded and cynical, mistrusting of women in general.
I don't agree. IMO chivalry is a learned behavior having nothing to do with alpha, beta or testosterone. In my experience it is the older generations who are the most chivalric (and most sexist at the same time). Neither do I find baby boomers to be more jaded due to divorce. Actually they seem to be more open to jump into another LTR than younger men. Maybe its just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Baby Boomer men have lower testoterone levels (due to aging)"
That and they are forgetful, and have such bad eyesite they don't know if its a man or a women in front of them. Sometimes they are preoccupied with getting to the restroom because they can't hold it or are busy thinking about getting to their Dialysis appointment.
LOL. Hush man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I don't notice very many posters take up the cause of Baby Boomer women. The overriding consensus appears to be that they are dried up, used up and completely unappealing as either dating prospects, intimate partners or life partners.
I think what LS Jaun said hold true for both genders (less the testosterone). I really don't think that is the consensus about baby boomer women as much as the ranting of some young inexperienced persons.

Signed
Baby Boomer

Old 08-12-2014, 12:36 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Not bothered. It’s just an observation like the ones everybody around here has in this and other threads. I guess the women who start threads about how bad it is to do house chores and cook should consider moving somewhere else as well. Yes, times are changing and through the process you will have women complain about how wrong it is to cater to men and do house chores just like you’ll have men be against chivalry and how one-sided it is. But, like you, I rather have men and women treating each other with respect. I may be the minority but I don’t like the idea of labeling actions “a man’s/woman’s job” unless one is not physically capable to do something because of their gender.
Generally when one devotes an excessive amount of energy regurgitating the same complaints, ad nauseam, without any consideration of alternate views it equates to being bothered.

I don't recall threads started by women specifically complaining about doing house chores and cooking, but anyway
Kenelm Henry Digby defined chivalry:"Chivalry is only a name for that general spirit or state of mind which disposes men to heroic actions, and keeps them conversant with all that is beautiful and sublime in the intellectual and moral world".
I really don't see the connection between a self imposed behavioral code and self imposed gender roles. Neither of these are demanded, required, or expected.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:49 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
I don't know if this subject has been discussed before but here it goes.

Ladies do you like "chivalry"? Like a man open doors for you, telling you look pretty, compliments, giving you his jacket so you won't feel cold etc?

It may sound a dumb question but nowadays I've noticed several women says that "chivalry" is like "dead" and they don't need that.

For example one day I was at the cinema and I noticed two young girls, like in her 20's (I'm 43 yrs old) doing the line for the popcorn for a guy!!! Asking him what he wants and they are buying his stuff and the guy was sitting there like it was okay. I mean, there is anything wrong with women buying me popcorn, I think that's cute she takes that into consideration but at the very least I will do the line with her to help her with the things. Yo know what I mean? I'm a classic kind of guy...old school so to speak.

So I want to hear your opinion ladies...
1) Yes (but I am equally considerate and respectful toward all people regardless of gender or age, but especially the elderly or those 'in need')

2) Do you have an older brother...in the Midwest/Great Lakes area?

Old 08-12-2014, 12:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No, if we had a few more dates I still would have left. The danger would be if I slept with him, THEN I'd be more likely to stay because of the bonding chemicals. That's how I ended up in awful co-dependent relationships much of my life, and that's the reason now I hold off on sex until I know the person's character and what their life is like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
What I like is respect, from either gender. I'm unusual, I guess, in that I will continue to give that respect even toward those who don't necessarily show it to me. It's a lot easier than going out of my way to be a jerk.

As far as chivalry, I prefer to think of it more as a gesture of mutual respect. What's funny is that I have noticed chivalrous gestures far more from gen X and millennials than I have from Baby Boomer men. Not sure what that means.
excellent choices both of you.

as for us baby boomers, we are getting cantankerous in our old age.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:09 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Generally when one devotes an excessive amount of energy regurgitating the same complaints, ad nauseam, without any consideration of alternate views it equates to being bothered.

I don't recall threads started by women specifically complaining about doing house chores and cooking, but anyway
Kenelm Henry Digby defined chivalry:"Chivalry is only a name for that general spirit or state of mind which disposes men to heroic actions, and keeps them conversant with all that is beautiful and sublime in the intellectual and moral world".
I really don't see the connection between a self imposed behavioral code and self imposed gender roles. Neither of these are demanded, required, or expected.
YES, THIS! That is beautiful! Men, THIS is how women think, the kind of stuff we eat up - remember we were all brought up reading fairy tales and Cinderella and playing house and dreaming of our Prince Charming....so when a man does things that seem chivalrous or even gallant, it is very romantic to us and very, very attractive.

If I were a guy reading this thread, I would use the knowledge to my advantage rather than argue about whether it's right or wrong for women to feel attracted by these romantic rituals.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
YES, THIS! That is beautiful! Men, THIS is how women think, the kind of stuff we eat up - remember we were all brought up reading fairy tales and Cinderella and playing house and dreaming of our Prince Charming....so when a man does things that seem chivalrous or even gallant, it is very romantic to us and very, very attractive.

If I were a guy reading this thread, I would use the knowledge to my advantage rather than argue about whether it's right or wrong for women to feel attracted by these romantic rituals.
Which is where parents are failing their children. Raising them with unrealistic expectations does no one any favors. Parents need to make it clear to their children that those stories are just that.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
excellent choices both of you.

as for us baby boomers, we are getting cantankerous in our old age.
Well cut it the hell out. I'm sick of you letting the door fly closed in my face! I would hold it for you!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:24 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Which is where parents are failing their children. Raising them with unrealistic expectations does no one any favors. Parents need to make it clear to their children that those stories are just that.
Agreed. Thank God my mother never filled my head with such nonsense.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:

I had a dollhouse and Barbies and a tea set. I also played Legos and football with the neighborhood boys. We did not all grow up dreaming of being a princess. I was much more into Grimm than Disney. The original Cinderella was a smart cookie, by the way. She made the prince find her covered in dirt and chicken poop, so he'd know the truth and could decide whether he really loved her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships