Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,213,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redallen View Post
.. I get totally turned off by guys who have a showy car. I just don't like that "look at me" type personality. Anyone else feel the same?

I guess I'm just not a showy person and don't want a guy who is either. I suppose if I was extremely wealthy and had money to burn I might feel differently though--ha!
Contrary to what many others say in this thread, I think it is perfectly reasonable to judge someone by the type of car they choose to drive. But please recognize and admit that what you are really doing in this situation is judging someone's socio-economic class, not the guy. You are engaging in a form of class warfare and are exercising a socially acceptable form of prejudice practiced by the have nots against the haves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 11:34 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,354,433 times
...yes you judge somebody by their vehicle; anybody who says otherwise isn't thinking or is lieing to themself. You can tell a lot about a person by what they drive...it's an extension of everything from personality/taste/status/values/needs/etc.

...let's not be ridiculous here, everybody on this planet pays attention to vehicles and the people driving them. Even the OP claiming not to care about a person's car clearly took the time to notice the guy in the Lamborghini for better or worse. People are drawn to cars for whatever strange reason...

Old 08-30-2014, 12:01 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,090,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
...yes you judge somebody by their vehicle; anybody who says otherwise isn't thinking or is lieing to themself. You can tell a lot about a person by what they drive...it's an extension of everything from personality/taste/status/values/needs/etc.

...let's not be ridiculous here, everybody on this planet pays attention to vehicles and the people driving them. Even the OP claiming not to care about a person's car clearly took the time to notice the guy in the Lamborghini for better or worse. People are drawn to cars for whatever strange reason...
I agree and I'll add that I'm not judging their financial status based on the vehicle they drive, but what they choose to drive says a lot about their lifestyle or personality.

I think people can tell a lot about the car I drive. I drive a full-size SUV. I'm married with 4 growing kids. My husband and 3 of my children play hockey. I don't know how one could do that in a compact car or some high end sports car. There is no way you can tote that much crap around in something smaller, maybe a minivan, but those tend to be driven by folks with younger children.

I had to switch cars with my husband the other day (he drives a smaller sedan) and one of my coworkers said "I would have never pictured you in that car". I asked what they thought I would drive, she said "An SUV"...ding, ding, ding. LOL

Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,189,594 times
Lol Corvette drivers are the worst, they're always looking around to see who's admiring their cars
I've seen many older guys thinking they need a hot car to attract women-
Omg what a waste.....

I've driven everything, from pick up trucks to brand new vehicles to 24 ft. long motor homes.....
A guys vehicle doesn't impress me--

BUT....recently a friend has lent me his Jeep,
been driving it & now......
I am in love w/ the way it handles, lol

Old 08-30-2014, 02:50 PM

52,317 posts, read 52,784,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Lol Corvette drivers are the worst, they're always looking around to see who's admiring their cars
Omg what a waste.....

I've driven everything, from pick up trucks to brand new vehicles to 24 ft. long motor homes.....

I was looking to get a jeep til I saw the crappy gas mileage they get....

Old 08-30-2014, 03:02 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,445,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Omg what a waste.....

I love mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was looking to get a jeep til I saw the crappy gas mileage they get....

It's got the aerodynamics of a brick, Chow. But in sunny SoCal.....no doors, no top, for months and months on end. You'd forget all about the mileage.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osric View Post
I prefer my men on bicycles. Cars are so 20th century!
Nice

Cars mean nothing to me. I just want to drive one that is reliable and can get me where I need to go.

When I see a very expensive one I just say, "well good for them".

Old 08-30-2014, 03:11 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,739,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redallen View Post
I was driving to work today and was next to a Lamborghini. My first thought is not "Oooh--look at that car and the guy driving it!". I get totally turned off by guys who have a showy car. I just don't like that "look at me" type personality. Anyone else feel the same?

I guess I'm just not a showy person and don't want a guy who is either. I suppose if I was extremely wealthy and had money to burn I might feel differently though--ha!

I'm just wondering if other women feel the same--turned off by a guy in a flashy/showy car. I'd rather date a guy in a muddy pickup truck that can tow a camper or carry a kayak, than a guy that is worried his car will get dirty. But maybe it's just the type of guy I like most likely wouldn't drive that type of car.
Do any other women feel that way? Anywhere? Is that really an actual question that you're asking? There's over 7,000,000,000 people on the planet. I'm pretty sure that someone somewhere thinks that way.

The guy in question probably has a pretty regular DD (or daily driver since this thread makes me guess that your friends are broke asses), so he's not likely showing off.

Just what we need is more dirty pickup truck types popping out more kids for the taxpayers to subsidize.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Do any other women feel that way? Anywhere? Is that really an actual question that you're asking? There's over 7,000,000,000 people on the planet. I'm pretty sure that someone somewhere thinks that way.

The guy in question probably has a pretty regular DD (or daily driver since this thread makes me guess that your friends are broke asses), so he's not likely showing off.

Just what we need is more dirty pickup truck types popping out more kids for the taxpayers to subsidize.
wow

Stereotype much?

Old 08-30-2014, 03:19 PM

52,317 posts, read 52,784,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I love mine.

It's got the aerodynamics of a brick, Chow. But in sunny SoCal.....no doors, no top, for months and months on end. You'd forget all about the mileage.
I've always liked jeeps and was looking to get one to see about towing a really small travel trailer and that's when I started looking more carefully at the stats of the jeep and just said screw it... LOl.... I'm focusing more on an Explorer or a Forerunner now.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships