Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:15 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,983 times

Advertisements

What I don't get is how are so many men out of work or unemployed? I get that the job market isn't great, especially for those without a university degree, but I'm really not sure if it would entail such high levels of men not being productive members of society.

78 percent of never-married women are looking for a spouse with a job. Finding one might be tricky - Vox

What are your thoughts? Women and men, do you expect your SO to be gainfully employed?

As a young professional who is pretty serious about his career (I'm a workaholic), I would never consider dating someone who isn't working or doesn't place emphasis on their professional career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 05:37 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,008 times
so you ASSume any man not employed in america's wonderful third world economy is NOT a productive member of society?? How do you know that? Careful not to get too high up on your judgmental ivory tower, life has a way of humbling even such awesome, wonderfully productive members of society like yourself. You sound rather arrogant and full of yourself

Old 09-24-2014, 05:47 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
so you ASSume any man not employed in america's wonderful third world economy is NOT a productive member of society?? How do you know that? Careful not to get too high up on your judgmental ivory tower, life has a way of humbling even such awesome, wonderfully productive members of society like yourself. You sound rather arrogant and full of yourself

Really?

Old 09-24-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Really?

Yes really. Believe it or not, there are a lot of educated, talented, hard working folks struggling to find the type of paying jobs they once had. Many of them were once young professional workaholic types also. I bet a lot them thought they were untouchable too, and that unemployed folks were lazy unproductive members of society as well. Life has a funny way of humbling people. Be thankful for what you have, because with one stroke of a pen, it can be taken away-especially as you get a lot older.
These once conquerors of the Universe find themselves competing with so many more workers for even low paying "safety" jobs.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
This sounds like the old sexist attitudes of the 1950s-60s. The Pew survey question was whether a job would be "very important to them", not whether they would consider marrying someone without a job or not. Not all women are gold diggers. Naturally anyone, man or woman would consider it important, but if they meet someone they feel a strong attachment to the positive traits may outweigh the lack of a job, especially when they know the person well enough to understand the circumstances and potential.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:00 PM

122 posts, read 159,638 times
Look your best and take the time to learn how to talk to and understand women instead rather than worrying about some silly article.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:01 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Really?
hm...WI has a point, in that women classified as "never-married" would be "older" women, i.e. nearing 40 and over. Men over 40, and especially over 50, are at an age when employers are trying to cut costs by laying off older workers (illegal, but they get away with it), and replacing them with cheaper workers, like the just-out-of-college ambitious workaholics. So men in the approximate age-range "never married" women would be looking to date are unemployed at a greater percentage than men in their 30's.

Men at 50+ are being put out to pasture, after roughly 30 years of a productive work life. Those who can afford to, retire. Those who can't afford to take low-paying office jobs, Wal-Mart greeter jobs, or piecemeal catch-as-catch-can joblets as independent contractors.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
hm...WI has a point, in that women classified as "never-married" would be "older" women, i.e. nearing 40 and over. Men over 40, and especially over 50, are at an age when employers are trying to cut costs by laying off older workers (illegal, but they get away with it), and replacing them with cheaper workers, like the just-out-of-college ambitious workaholics. So men in the approximate age-range "never married" women would be looking to date are unemployed at a greater percentage than men in their 30's.

Men at 50+ are being put out to pasture, after roughly 30 years of a productive work life. Those who can afford to, retire. Those who can't afford to take low-paying office jobs, Wal-Mart greeter jobs, or piecemeal catch-as-catch-can joblets as independent contractors.

Well put R4T!! You summed up my point in a better way. I was a bit rough on the OP and I apologize for that. I guess the opening post rubbed me the wrong way a bit, but yeah what you said is exactly what I've seen way too many times

Old 09-24-2014, 06:51 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Well put R4T!! You summed up my point in a better way. I was a bit rough on the OP and I apologize for that. I guess the opening post rubbed me the wrong way a bit, but yeah what you said is exactly what I've seen way too many times
Considering that the age for collecting Social Security is being pushed back, and there's still talk of cutting back on SS, there should be a crackdown on these layoffs, or a gov't incentive for hiring geezers for decently-skilled jobs. Laws prohibiting age discrimination should be enforced. And it doesn't just affect men, of course.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Maybe the other 12% just want a man who they can enjoy retirement with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships