Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:29 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times

Advertisements

Of course and “be yourself”. But myself is different with unique perspectives on things. Like you all are doing things not wrong per se but they can be better, well I’d do things differently but better, and that sort of drives the ultra perfectionist in me a little concerned. I won’t say crazy. Of course God would be OCD to have set everything up so perfectly and just right. LOL.

For example take that scene from the motion picture “2001” where the astronaught goes through the Stargate, well to me it’s not going to the beyond but coming from the beyond to here. Now that sounds eccentric doesn’t it? Do people want to hear stuff like that in casual conversation? I have a lot of interesting ideas because it’s kind of boring here, not all that bad actually, but doesn’t it drive you nuts? We need new and improved. And why decaffeinate coffee? You drink it for the get up and go. Leave the good stuff in. And they don’t even sell coffee by the pound in the stores anymore. Just trying to blend in and live this never ending soap opera Days Of Our Lives life brought to you by the sponsor, God. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 07:46 AM

757 posts, read 1,025,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I just told you....be open to it. That's it.

Love finds you when you are busy living your very best life, putting your very best foot forward.

Quit looking for it! Love isn't something you can go into a fast food restaurant and order lol.

You simply live your life and make conscious choices to make the best of all your opportunities. This requires you to keep a positive outlook on EVERYTHING.

Someone from work invites you to dinner, you go! Someone at the grocery store asks you if there's a Star Bucks around, you give them directions and then offer to buy them a coffee. Get involved in the world around you! Find out what you're really go at and do it! These are the things that draw others to you, and that if what has to happen for love to find you
Very well said. However, the "Be Open" part might be a bit challenging to the shy, quiet and introvertically (yes, I made it up) inclined individuals. I believe this description fits many of the members here unfortunately. The strong silent type tends to be the one that get left out socially and misunderstood most of the time. How can a recluse "be open" in order to find that special someone? Any suggestion?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
What is the secret? The trick? How is this accomplished? why is it so GD hard and for me impossible yet so easy to everyone else???
Who said it was easy for everyone else? Love is attainable for most people, but that doesn't mean it's all smooth sailing. There's always disappointment and discouragement, but in a good relationship the highs outweigh the lows.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Who said it was easy for everyone else? Love is attainable for most people, but that doesn't mean it's all smooth sailing. There's always disappointment and discouragement, but in a good relationship the highs outweigh the lows.
Understood. Yet there are countless couples that have been able to meet, hook up, are together, and ride out the journey. I dream of just having a conversation with my true love and when I see couples together I often wonder if they truly appreciate the good fortune that they have that others can only dream and fantasize about. Do people really take such good fortune for granted? Being alone is the pits. As for no more “me time” good grief, what is so prized or desired about “me time”? Having no more “me time” is the desired accomplishment.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:29 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Understood. Yet there are countless couples that have been able to meet, hook up, are together, and ride out the journey. I dream of just having a conversation with my true love and when I see couples together I often wonder if they truly appreciate the good fortune that they have that others can only dream and fantasize about. Do people really take such good fortune for granted? Being alone is the pits. As for no more “me time” good grief, what is so prized or desired about “me time”? Having no more “me time” is the desired accomplishment.
Until you learn to be comfortable in your own skin no one else is going to be comfortable next to it.

Learn to enjoy your own company!!! There is no need to ever be lonely when you do.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Very well said. However, the "Be Open" part might be a bit challenging to the shy, quiet and introvertically (yes, I made it up) inclined individuals. I believe this description fits many of the members here unfortunately. The strong silent type tends to be the one that get left out socially and misunderstood most of the time. How can a recluse "be open" in order to find that special someone? Any suggestion?
Thanks R

Here's the thing...we are all, each and every one of us, "handicapped" in one way or another.

Nobody lives a perfect life or has a flawless existence, regardless of how much others looking at them from the outside might think they do.

The key is for each individual to take the personal responsibility to overcome or work with whatever their shortcoming or handicap is.

Being shy or introverted IS a challenge but it is not an impossible one to overcome. It takes effort and can be hard, but those things worth having in life are worth doing the hard work for

As much as some of us want to resist having to actually DO anything to feed ourselves (emotionally, spiritually and even physically sometimes!) it is ultimately up to us to take the first step toward getting what we need.

In practical application this means that a shy introverted person should consider signing up for a Toastmasters group, a Dale Carnegie course or even just a public speaking class at the local community college.

A socially awkward person would want to consider some sessions with a therapist and a life coach.

If my neighbor, a young 30 something guy confined to a wheelchair can find and marry the love of his life - a beautiful, healthy woman on two strong legs herself - then those with emotional handicaps can too.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I'm half pragmatic, half cynic. True love goes against my principles. Others may feel it. I don't believe in it.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm half pragmatic, half cynic. True love goes against my principles. Others may feel it. I don't believe in it.
Then sadly, you will likely never have it.

Your choice.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:30 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
I like finding love for others better.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:46 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Some people say "True love is hard to find". But then can love really be found like a physical object, a pair of shoes for example, even if one goes out his/her way to look for it, or is it something that happens randomly by coincidence only? How many of you guys out there had actually gone out and looked for love actively and actually found it? If so, how did you do it? Did it all work out in the end for both of you?

I tend to think that love is something that cannot be found. It is something that will happen naturally by the grace of God if it is meant to be. Not everyone has the pleasure to find his/her other half, and far too many people remain single for the rest of their lives, confirmed bachelors. That's life. I get it.

I once heard a true story in which a guy found his soul mate simply by fooling around with bunch of his friends in the street in the middle of the night. He somehow bumped into her completely by accident. Boom! They fell for each other right there, and pretty much started dating right after. They soon found a nice place and moved in together and started a new life with each other. None of them were looking for love at the time, definitely not in that faithful night. Love just went out its way to find them and put them together just like that. True story.

So what's your story?
Define "true love".

I believe its a different definition for most people.

I have told 4 women in my life that I love them, outside of my family. Number one lied so much that I finally ended it with her. Number two was someone who didn't love me and we fell apart. Number three was the mother of my children, and we had to many issues to mention, so we split. Number four I felt like was my soulmate, but she devastated me in a way thats going to take me sometime to completely get over it.

I still love these women. If I saw them today, I'd do what I could to help them, but getting back together with them is not an option even though I still love them.

The only true love I've found is from myself. I have to love myself, no one else is responsible for loving me truly, so I have to truly love me. Even my children, who adore me, will always love me but its different with family.

Only one person to have a love affair with and fall for completely, and they stare at you in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships