Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:09 AM

393 posts, read 466,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
No, do NOT listen to this poster I am quoting. OP, if you want to have a successful relationship then you need to realize that the other person's thoughts and feelings DO matter and that it is not all about you and getting your rocks off. That is why mostly everyone is trying to steer you down the path of being a decent person and being honest about your intentions of not wanting monogamy or cheating on your partner. It's called empathy and its something that selfish, anti-social jackasses wouldn't know a thing about.
What you--and everyone else that argues this--doesn't seem to understand is that my argument DOES take the other person into account. What you're proposing doesn't, IMO, work out very often. If it does, then why doesn't anyone here put their money where their mouth is and say they'd be okay with it??

And empathy works both ways. It's not showing empathy for the OP to tell him to do something which will effectively be a nonstarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 10:30 AM

253 posts, read 655,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi64 View Post
What you--and everyone else that argues this--doesn't seem to understand is that my argument DOES take the other person into account. What you're proposing doesn't, IMO, work out very often. If it does, then why doesn't anyone here put their money where their mouth is and say they'd be okay with it??

And empathy works both ways. It's not showing empathy for the OP to tell him to do something which will effectively be a nonstarter.
Nope, sorry man, you don't. Your suggestion is 100% selfish. If the OP tries to go for an open marriage, at least it is a level playing ground. What you suggest tilts to one side completely, and creates horrible dishonesty in a marriage. If he wants to dabble outside of marriage, then he either mans up and discusses with his wife or take the chance of cheating, getting caught and paying for it.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon75 View Post
Nope, sorry man, you don't. Your suggestion is 100% selfish. If the OP tries to go for an open marriage, at least it is a level playing ground. What you suggest tilts to one side completely
If you think that, you're not acknowledging human nature. It doesn't "tilt to one side" at all--there's nothing preventing the other person from doing the same thing.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:51 AM

52,349 posts, read 52,808,634 times
Quote:
I strongly disagree with this. I think the best solution by far is just to "cheat" discreetly and practice safe sex when you do so. Wanting variety is a natural thing, it's not fair to ask someone who wants to get married or have a relationship to not do so because of it. And as far as finding "open relationships"--well, finding someone who would accept that would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Periodically, people on this board are asked if they would be open to such a thing--and generally not a single one says yes.

Not only that, but I think that when such relationships do occur, they usually don't work because of jealousy. In addition, the old saying "Better to ask forgiveness than to seek permission" applies here. Far more people will be able to accept a partner who occasionally sees others on the side if they find out about it after they're already with you than would agree to it at the beginning.

OP, don't listen to the other posters on here. Asking them to accept what you're describing is like a gay person 50 years ago asking straight people if being gay is acceptable.

How's about your old lady getting the back 40 pounded properly by some guy.... course she's being "discreet" and all you wouldn't have to worry, cause you wouldn't know.

Surely you wouldn't mind, right?? This assumes that you of course didn't have an open relationship.

Whew... people continually never fail to let ya down.....

Old 11-01-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

How's about your old lady getting the back 40 pounded properly by some guy.... course she's being "discreet" and all you wouldn't have to worry, cause you wouldn't know.

Surely you wouldn't mind, right?? This assumes that you of course didn't have an open relationship.

Whew... people continually never fail to let ya down.....
I certainly wouldn't have the right to condemn her. If people "mind" what each other do, they can always divorce or break up.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:58 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,200,844 times
Quote:
I certainly wouldn't have the right to condemn her. If people "mind" what each other do, they can always divorce or break up.
How can they mind when they don't know because one person is lying?

Once again, nobody is buying what you are selling. I hope you are at least upfront with all your partners and tell them that you will cheat on them and you will lie about it so that they don't know.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Your joking right? You certainly can't actually think this way.

By your logic, no commitments mean anything, people can make agreements and no one has to honor them???

Good lord

I'm not even talking about just relationships per se.....

So straight out lying, cheating, and breaking agreements with others is ok in your book, as long as protection and discretion is used???

Do you realize how sociopathic this sounds???

Old 11-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Your joking right? You certainly can't actually think this way.

By your logic, no commitments mean anything, people can make agreements and no one has to honor them???

Good lord

I'm not even talking about just relationships per se.....

So straight out lying, cheating, and breaking agreements with others is ok in your book, as long as protection and discretion is used???

Do you realize how sociopathic this sounds???
What is sounds like is normal human behavior. If you think this is "sociopathic" you yourself have a lot of growing up to do.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Once again, nobody is buying what you are selling.
Nobody (well, few people) would have "bought" that gay marriage was a good idea fifty years ago. The popularity of an idea is not a good indicator of whether it has validity or not.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
What is sounds like is normal human behavior. If you think this is "sociopathic" you yourself have a lot of growing up to do.
Tell yourself what ever it takes to get through those lonely nights.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships