Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:14 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,986 times

Advertisements

About a year ago, I read some story written by a man looking for his former college love named "Sarah". It reminded me of the movie Serendipity and prompted me to ask you the following question:

Have you ever dated someone who you thought wasn't "The One" because of certain reasons (timing, personality, life goals, so on and so forth ...) only to realize years later (after a period of growth) that the person could have been "The One"?

*Say maybe you didn't appreciate their qualities then, but years later your realize they're hard to find or on hindsight you think they were marriage material ...

Would you try to get in touch?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 10:24 AM

530 posts, read 902,742 times
I'd say no. There are people I might think were good catches, but not really for me. The reasons that made me let them go would most likely be the reasons I still wouldn't want to be with them today.

I have heard peoples say if this and if that, but most of them say if because they are not "happy" today. Its different for all, but just because you are not happy today doesn't mean you would be happy IF you were with that person. Maybe you just haven't found your person yet ( your person can be you - your true whole self or your mate. Take it how ever it applies to you).

Old 11-10-2014, 10:44 AM

79 posts, read 150,924 times
Yes and I still miss and love her/think about her everyday even years later. We had lived together and talked about getting married. I was in my mid 20's at the time and was just too immature and stubborn in my mindset to listen to what she wanted and needed. I was still trying to figure out my life and my career situation and just wasn't able to make her happy. Granted I do think she was partly to blame since she was very hard on my since she had her life figured out and was on my case a lot to get mine together which contributed to a lot of arguing. I wish life would have postponed us meeting for a few years since I think had I had the maturity and life in order as I do now, I feel we were the perfect match.

I have yet to meet anyone else that I have even been remotely interested in dating since her so I do feel that contributes significantly to me still holding on to my feelings for her.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:58 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Nope. To all my ex's, I am the "one that got away."

Old 11-10-2014, 12:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
If I could have rep'd you for that I would have.

I know my "one that got away" feels the same about me now. That's nice to know. She wrote to me recently that letting me go was "the worst decision I ever made." At least it was her decision; I don't have to kick myself. I did enough dirt kicking at the time, however.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Haha! Interesting thought. I wonder if anyone considers me the "one that got away"!

I don't feel regret about anyone from my past it didn't work out with. I think there are a few people it could have worked out with but it was bad timing, so I'll never know. But I didn't care about them to the point where I really even think about them anymore. I do wonder if I'll feel that way about the last guy I dated though. I hope not...regret and what if's suck.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:22 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I wish timing could have been different with some, but of those, we've remained friends and they're happy too, so its all good.

There are ones I wished I handled differently, but none I think that got away because I just was flippant about it.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:55 PM

251 posts, read 299,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Have you ever dated someone who you thought wasn't "The One" because of certain reasons (timing, personality, life goals, so on and so forth ...) only to realize years later (after a period of growth) that the person could have been "The One"?

*Say maybe you didn't appreciate their qualities then, but years later your realize they're hard to find or on hindsight you think they were marriage material ...

Would you try to get in touch?

Thanks!
Girl in high school. I wasn't dating her (really wanted to), but I let her get away. Had a LOT of life/home problems going on at the time so dating wasn't a priority. Took me years to get over her. Last I know, she lives in another state.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I haven't, but evidently there were so women who thought that of me. The year after I married MrsCPG we called "The Year Of The Drunken Dial" because a half-dozen former girlfriends looked me up and started calling. I'm no kidding. MrsCPG would just hand me the phone and walk into the other room while I sorted matters out.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:35 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I haven't, but evidently there were so women who thought that of me. The year after I married MrsCPG we called "The Year Of The Drunken Dial" because a half-dozen former girlfriends looked me up and started calling. I'm no kidding. MrsCPG would just hand me the phone and walk into the other room while I sorted matters out.
What was there to sort out? Once you're married, all the "has beens" need to BTFO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships