Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 01:23 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
I've had a couple female friends who seem in retrospect like they may have been interested in ME (though I didn't realize it at the time). They were getting very close, touching me, etc. But romantically clueless me doesn't know how to pick up on those signs (a friend told me about this afterwards) and both girls are now dating others. Unless a girl flat out tells me "I want to date you", I probably wouldn't get the message.

I just don't get flirting or how to be a good potential person to date.
Romantically clueless you are learning, though. Now you know some of the signs. So next time one of your women friends does that, you'll know it's a cue for you to kick things up a notch.

Be sure to smile from time to time during the conversation. Make eye contact frequently. Be aware of her reactions and body language, like your friend explained. Make a joke now and then. If she laughs even when it isn't very funny, she's into you.

Just because someone enjoys hanging out with you between classes doesn't mean they're into you in the way you want, unfortunately. It may mean they're happy to have found a guy they can just hang out with casually, a platonic friend. Just because some of those don't go the way you want doesn't mean you're a failure or unattractive or anything. It just means they're not into you in that way OR there's another guy they're interested in and trying to move into the bf position. So just move on, keep looking for other prospects. You made the right move by asking that one girl to coffee, but it sounds like she wasn't that into you. But coffee's a good one. If it's lunch hour at school and you're talking to someone you know from class, ask if they have the next hour free, and if she wants to join you for lunch.

It seems like you're good at meeting women in real life, outside of bars. So you don't need the bar scene or online dating. Keep up the good work. There's a learning curve involved, and you're on it. And you sound like you are a great person to date. You just need to get the hang of how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 02:41 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You have to start somewhere except at work, do not date anyone you work with, it rarely goes well for either of you if things don't work out and it makes your place of employment awkward outside of the fact it gives the gossip girls plenty of firewood.

The dating seminars are pick up oriented and a waste of time and energy n my opinion.

Try joining groups that are oriented to your interests and hobbies, join the Y, hang out in museums, find a favorite coffee shop or book shop and spend time there.
This is absolutely horrible advice! Dating is all about proximity and familiarness. Work is a great place to meet dates, because you are right there, and plenty of women are available to perfect your flirting, and they are right there. Now this doesn't mean it happens overnight, start talking to ladies, subtly flirting over time, then ask someone out. You can start over IM if you want to (skins like you have problems approaching in person.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:01 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Me neither I was married already when I was 24

Old 11-25-2014, 06:48 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Today is the first day of the rest of your life, get busy living it

I suggest you start by hiring a life coach (Think Will Smith in "Hitch"). This can be the most efficient way to solve your problem.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:54 AM

530 posts, read 902,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Today is the first day of the rest of your life, get busy living it

I suggest you start by hiring a life coach (Think Will Smith in "Hitch"). This can be the most efficient way to solve your problem.

I LOVE THE MOVIE HITCH....TOSS THE PIZZA, THROW IT AWAY. OMG THE DANCING SCENE! TOO FUNNY! I'M LAUGHING RIGHT NOW.

BTW Are you a life coach?

OP I wish you the best of luck. You sound like my daughter.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:23 AM

837 posts, read 960,925 times
There's so much information out there and what advice applies to you depends on where you fall short. Do you have girl friends that can give you honest advice? To me it sounds like you're doing fine, you just may feel entitled to the girlfriend and future with kids right now and you might need to realize finding a compatible mate just takes time, no matter how tall and well-rounded you think you are.

Watch movies and pay attention to how men ask women out.

How to Make Someone Fall in Love With You in 90 Minutes or Less: Nicholas Boothman: 9780761151623: Amazon.com: Books

Quote:
What type of flirting works best?
Two types of flirting are universal: Smiling and eye contact are indicators pretty much everywhere and work for both sexes. [...] In fact, eye contact is not only a signal — it can actually make someone more attracted to you.
But what works better than anything else? Touching.
And research has isolated which types of touching are regarded as "merely friendly," in the zone of "plausible deniability," or "going nuclear."
  • Friendly: Shoulder push, shoulder tap, handshake.
  • Plausible Deniability: Touch around the shoulder or waist, touch on the forearm.
  • Nuclear: Face touch.
[...]Research has shown that even a light touch on the arm makes a man more successful in getting a girl's number.
Quote:
Why aren't they getting my signals!?!
Here's something you probably don't hear a lot: It's most likely your fault.
Researchers have documented a bias where people think they're being clear about their intentions but, in reality, nobody but them thinks they're flirting.
A more recent series of investigations by Vorauer and her colleagues (Vorauer, Cameron, Holmes, & Pearce, 2003) demonstrated that the fear of being rejected by a potential partner can produce yet another pernicious attributional bias. The "signal amplification bias" occurs when people believe that their social overtures communicate more romantic interest to potential partners than is actually the case and thus fail to realize that they have not adequately conveyed their feelings of attraction. [The Mating Game: A Primer on Love, Sex, and Marriage]

You may need to amp it up, even if that makes you a bit uncomfortable.
Source (with lots more info on approaching): How to flirt, according to science - The Week

Old 11-25-2014, 11:29 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Join the club. 24 and never dated isn't that unusual. Just focus on remaining social and develop some interesting hobbies and start building your confidence meeting dates by trial and error and you'll be fine.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:05 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
This is absolutely horrible advice! Dating is all about proximity and familiarness. Work is a great place to meet dates, because you are right there, and plenty of women are available to perfect your flirting, and they are right there. Now this doesn't mean it happens overnight, start talking to ladies, subtly flirting over time, then ask someone out. You can start over IM if you want to (skins like you have problems approaching in person.
This is a good way to lose a job, depending on the workplace. Dating is about proximity and familiarity, so that's why they suggested he join hobby groups, sports leagues, or do whatever activities interest him that could be group-oriented and include women. Photography classes or drama workshops, are good ones.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:49 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Even though you can talk to women, have you ever said anything that can get an emotional rise out of them? How do you know you are flirting? It will look and feel somewhat uncomfortable to observers because you are pushing boundaries. This isn't a suggestion to be a bad boy before anyone complains. But the primary difference between being a friend and making it known you are romantically interested is how much you push these boundaries.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:50 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,233 times
See, this needs to be taught in school or something...wth? Dude, instead of getting to know a female before you ask her out....why don't you ask out them out as soon as you see someone you are attracted to. See female....brain says "she is attractive".....approach female....say hello to female....have something to say...if you get positive interaction ask her out.....You are a tall, college educated and employed male, stop acting like a short, fat, unemployed, high school drop out....sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships