Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:00 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shycity View Post
I asked her what the expletive she was doing texting this guy at 1 in the morning... I didnt accuse of her cheating, but I did mention it was sneaky. why at 1 in the morning? why when we were fighting in the car? What do you care why he didnt come back? Then as always, she spinned into me being crazy and tried to focus the situation on how I reacted as opposed to situation at hand. We really didnt talk for the rest of the day yesterday, and today either.
So you made it worse by cursing at her and yes, accusing. Whether or not she was being sneaky, "sneaky" is a judgment term. It made her defensive, and no real discussion was going to happen after that.

If you want to have a productive discussion, sit down with her and stay calm. No profanity, no accusations.

TELL her YOUR feelings, that you are confused and hurt and not happy with the way things went down, and ask her to tell you if something is up. Don't let her get out of answering the questions by talking about your reaction. You are going to be calm anyway, so if she does that, she really will be deflecting.

Ask her outright if she has been talking to dude. Be prepared for whatever answers she may come up with. Then you two will have to decide what happens next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 09:26 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So you made it worse by cursing at her and yes, accusing. Whether or not she was being sneaky, "sneaky" is a judgment term. It made her defensive, and no real discussion was going to happen after that.

If you want to have a productive discussion, sit down with her and stay calm. No profanity, no accusations.

TELL her YOUR feelings, that you are confused and hurt and not happy with the way things went down, and ask her to tell you if something is up. Don't let her get out of answering the questions by talking about your reaction. You are going to be calm anyway, so if she does that, she really will be deflecting.

Ask her outright if she has been talking to dude. Be prepared for whatever answers she may come up with. Then you two will have to decide what happens next.
Yeah, the reaction you got was caused by the way you asked the question. Apologize for being so rude and then do as explained above. Starting with an apology is a darn good way to break the silence, and you really do need to apologize. You were rude and assumed the worst of someone you're supposed to love.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:46 AM

564 posts, read 747,244 times
To the OP, you're not overreacting, I'd be pretty pissed off as well and you have good reasons to.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,705 times
Quote:
My wife initiated it saying..." You never made it back tonight"... He responded" couldnt, sorry, love you, miss you"...
I would dig in that direction.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:52 AM

11 posts, read 11,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Yeah, the reaction you got was caused by the way you asked the question. Apologize for being so rude and then do as explained above. Starting with an apology is a darn good way to break the silence, and you really do need to apologize. You were rude and assumed the worst of someone you're supposed to love.
yea, I'm not as concerned about the reaction as I'm with why it happened to begin with. your right Davros- this is all my fault. good job.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I think it's perfectly reasonable to want to know why text messages of love are being sent in the middle of the night.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
yea, I'm not as concerned about the reaction as I'm with why it happened to begin with. your right Davros- this is all my fault. good job.
Okay. Go ahead and proceed with getting divorced. See if I care?

You overreacted.

You should have asked your questions in a less confrontational and angry manner, and maybe then you wouldn't be on here asking what to do, because she could have explained the situation instead of reacting to you angrily and defensively.

You should apologize and then proceed as Womens4life suggested.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:02 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Okay. Go ahead and proceed with getting divorced. See if I care?

You overreacted.

You should have asked your questions in a less confrontational and angry manner, and maybe then you wouldn't be on here asking what to do, because she could have explained the situation instead of reacting to you angrily and defensively.

You should apologize and then proceed as Womens4life suggested.
(Thanks Davros. FWIW, my username means "Williamson," not Womens. It doesn't make sense, but just wanted to point it out.)

OP, it is weird that your GF did what she did and something is definitely off, but you are not a victim here. You took a bad situation and made it worse, so own that.

It's not that you are not expected to be human and react, but you have to know that the way you reacted played a large part in where you are right now.

You have a chance to at least salvage it and have a conversation, if you will get over yourself.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
(Thanks Davros. FWIW, my username means "Williamson," not Womens. It doesn't make sense, but just wanted to point it out.)

OP, it is weird that your GF did what she did and something is definitely off, but you are not a victim here. You took a bad situation and made it worse, so own that.

It's not that you are not expected to be human and react, but you have to know that the way you reacted played a large part in where you are right now.

You have a chance to at least salvage it and have a conversation, if you will get over yourself.
Oh I apologize for not being able to read. WMSN not WMNS.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:18 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
She was stuck in the car during an argument and therefore couldn't stomp off or whatever people do to distance themselves from a stressful situation so she sent a text to a friend.

Making a big deal out of this allows you to avoid resolving whatever it was you were actually arguing about.

Is it likely she chose this guy to text because she knew it would **** you off the most? Yep!

Man up and drop it. It isn't about that other guy. Unless you make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships