Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 10:11 PM

348 posts, read 327,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
My in-laws were married after dating for only a month. They were married for 46 years before my FIL passed away.
Mom and Dad only dated six months and they have been married longer than that ^.

For me personally, I have a knack for bringing out the worst in women very quickly. It happens so often, it can't be an accident.....

If you are not right for me....I give it 2 months tops before I get to the bottom of it and call you out.

Every gold digger, cheat, physio, b****, phoney hasn't made it past that yet......

It's magic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 10:12 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
My wife and I got officially engaged after knowing each other 80 days. 6 months later we got married. 38 years and counting and we're still smiling. My son met his wife and they tied the knot 6 months later. They're married 5 years and have a couple of kids. They also seem pretty happy.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a quick marriage for anyone. I also can't recommend sex before marriage. The sex fog clouds your thinking too much. Better to keep a level head, and consider the person based on compatibility, values, honesty, faithfulness, kindness and love, rather than just how good the sex is.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Might work for some people, but I bet it wouldn't for me. I've always found that everything is euphoric for about the first 3 months, then all the quirky behavior you thought was cute becomes irritating, and some of the larger character flaws don't come out until the 6-12 month period.

Marriage? Two to three years for me please.
We got engaged just under eight months after meeting, and got married thirteen months almost to the day after our first date. For us, I would say that after the first couple of months, we'd uncovered any and all quirks and determined we were fine with them. There haven't been any unpleasant surprises.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:45 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We got engaged just under eight months after meeting, and got married thirteen months almost to the day after our first date. For us, I would say that after the first couple of months, we'd uncovered any and all quirks and determined we were fine with them. There haven't been any unpleasant surprises.
Congratulations! I understand that it does happen a lot more frequently than I know.

My rules were for the men that I dated protection as well, probably more so than my own.

I just find that in general, people can maintain a good front for a few months, and then start to deteriorate from there. I have no doubt that some people can either read people faster, are not PITA themselves, more laid back, etc.

I think it would make an interesting poll.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-22-2014, 07:31 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I think the first few months are definitely still a "best behavior" phrase, which can mask actual hot-button issues.

Someone once told me, anecdotally, that a high percentage of couples report having their first "real" argument right around month three...that it's apparently a sweet spot on the timeline where initial impressions have been sufficiently made, and people feel secure enough to voice concerns with less fear of the other party walking away. No idea how accurate that thesis is, but I've known it to play out that way, myself.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:37 AM

245 posts, read 219,466 times
I know someone who just got engaged after meeting their SO 6 months ago. Don't know when they plan on marrying, but I would guess within the next year.

Are you talking getting engaged or actually married?

Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
I think the older you get the less time it takes you to know if someone is right for you. But I still think 3 months is way too fast.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:21 AM

245 posts, read 219,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I think the older you get the less time it takes you to know if someone is right for you. But I still think 3 months is way too fast.
I would agree with that completely. But yeah, 3 months?? I would say at least 1 year minimum before I would propose, and at least 3-4 of those months we would have to live together.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:26 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
How often do these type of relationships last?
If done when young and then not complicated by having children too soon
or other financial/work difficulties... some can work well. Maybe even 4 in 10.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:42 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I think you need to stay with someone long enough to make sure they aren't chronic liars before you get married. Other than that, as long as they aren't a liar or cheater, most things can be worked out by people who want to work them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships