Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 04:48 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
Ok, I met a good guy via OLD couple of months ago, he's smart, attractive, thoughtful, likes the same things as me...But he never really asks me questions. He says I tell him what he wants to know (because I volunteer the info.) Since we met online, the majority of our 'dating' has been texting/email. He lives 2 hrs away, we've gone out a few times and have slept together twice. He's very attentive and caring in that area. Anyway, he has kind of an 'Engineer personality' - I'm sorry of that offends anyone. He likes to understand things and solve problems, but witty banter isn't his communication style. I ask him questions and he gives detailed long answers; admittedly, he has an interesting background. Anyway, he wants to understand women (me) so he's reading some 'Love Languages' - type book (not the 5 love languages), so I give him credit for trying. Anyway, I don't really want to stop seeing him, but how do I deal with his (lack of) conversation style? I'm sure I'd rather have a good guy than a 'Salesman BS'er' - again sorry if I offend anyone out there. Thanks for your thoughts.
Sounds like a few guys that I have just not sent packing yet. But no way would I have slept with them at that stage of the relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 04:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
OP, it could be worse. He could be a motor-mouth who's all about him.

Count your blessings. It's all a matter of perspective.

You're welcome.

348 posts, read 327,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
Ok, I met a good guy via OLD couple of months ago, he's smart, attractive, thoughtful, likes the same things as me...But he never really asks me questions. He says I tell him what he wants to know (because I volunteer the info.) Since we met online, the majority of our 'dating' has been texting/email. He lives 2 hrs away, we've gone out a few times and have slept together twice. He's very attentive and caring in that area. Anyway, he has kind of an 'Engineer personality' - I'm sorry of that offends anyone. He likes to understand things and solve problems, but witty banter isn't his communication style. I ask him questions and he gives detailed long answers; admittedly, he has an interesting background. Anyway, he wants to understand women (me) so he's reading some 'Love Languages' - type book (not the 5 love languages), so I give him credit for trying. Anyway, I don't really want to stop seeing him, but how do I deal with his (lack of) conversation style? I'm sure I'd rather have a good guy than a 'Salesman BS'er' - again sorry if I offend anyone out there. Thanks for your thoughts.
Don't date the engineers.....date the guy who gets his hands dirty.

You won't even need "words" then.....

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4cdfc44cfc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU7WHAAPi6A

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
Sounds like me. A very quiet person with little to say.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:55 PM

I've known a number of engineers (male and female), and none were as described. I don't buy that this is the predominant type in that profession.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:02 PM

166 posts, read 244,414 times
OP, I'm saying this the best way I can but have you considered that maybe it's you?
In other words, the fact that he says you tell him everything so he doesn't need to ask you anything tells me that maybe you talk too much.

Let him initiate conversations sometimes even if you have to sit in silence. A little silence is OK sometime.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:30 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,510 times
I think you should spend at least a little more time together in person (and not in bed) to get a better feel for him, but I have a feeling that you two may be incompatible. There isn't much wrong with his communication style...perhaps his style just isn't for you. It's nice that he's trying to learn about women by reading relevant books...but if witty banter doesn't come to him naturally, I think he'll have a tough time gaining that ability no matter how hard he tries. It's innate to an extent. He may be one of those very literal, deep-thinking types that rarely gets outside his own head and has difficulty being spontaneous.

The bigger concern isn't his conversational ability, it's him not asking you questions about yourself. That usually indicates a lack of interest in you as a person. People who are truly into you will ask you questions no matter what their communication style is. It is natural to want to learn more about others who intrigue us.

Prettygreeneyes raises a good possibility too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've known a number of engineers (male and female), and none were as described. I don't buy that this is the predominant type in that profession.
I think that type of personality was more common 10-20 years ago among engineers and people in IT. It is probably less common today because more and more employers are requiring engineers to have good communication and "soft" skills. Also, "engineer" is a very broad term that encompasses many different industries.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
I
I think that type of personality was more common 10-20 years ago among engineers and people in IT. It is probably less common today because more and more employers are requiring engineers to have good communication and "soft" skills. Also, "engineer" is a very broad term that encompasses many different industries.
True. Maybe it's more true of IT engineers. I grew up with civil engineers, and have a friend who's an alternative energy systems engineer. Definitely very different from IT.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:34 PM

348 posts, read 327,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
I think you should spend at least a little more time together in person (and not in bed) to get a better feel for him, but I have a feeling that you two may be incompatible. There isn't much wrong with his communication style...perhaps his style just isn't for you. It's nice that he's trying to learn about women by reading relevant books...but if witty banter doesn't come to him naturally, I think he'll have a tough time gaining that ability no matter how hard he tries. It's innate to an extent. He may be one of those very literal, deep-thinking types that rarely gets outside his own head and has difficulty being spontaneous.

The bigger concern isn't his conversational ability, it's him not asking you questions about yourself. That usually indicates a lack of interest in you as a person. People who are truly into you will ask you questions no matter what their communication style is. It is natural to want to learn more about others who intrigue us.

Prettygreeneyes raises a good possibility too.

Like the people we can't get on the phone in Texas and in New Jersey? Nah, pretty sure it's the same......as well as all their mistakes that need corrected by "hands on" guys.....

Old 12-29-2014, 05:37 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
The sex was good.

Otherwise she would have ditched this guy after the first encounter.

You cannot change another human beings personality.

Either stay with him or leave him be so that he can find someone that truly is better for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships