Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:41 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,163,843 times

Advertisements

Catfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:05 PM

2,248 posts, read 3,393,515 times
This is the same “rule” my D’s friend has (her friend is also 18 and doing on-line dating). The mom wants to meet the guy her daughter is talking to and planning to meet. It's just a safety thing. If you don’t meet the mom, they will assume you have not so good intentions and/or are just not really interested. You’re not making a commitment in any way by meeting the mom.

If you like talking to the girl and want to meet her, meet her mom. It's really that simple. They're being upfront about this.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
By the way her family and her are kinda religious

I will have to meet both her mom and her, so I guess I will have to worry about both liking me
OP, this isn't the kind of "meet the parents" that happens when a couple gets serious. This is a let-my-mom-check-you-out-since-you're-basically-a-stranger type of meet-the-parent. A totally different thing. Though 18 seems a little old for this type of protective action toward an almost adult child, these are the terms the mom has set (not a bad idea, for younger kids), so if you want to meet the daughter in person, you have no choice but to get with the program. Take it or walk.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,948,259 times
go meet the mom, and be on your best behavior. take a couple of these with you, one for her and one for mom;

Amazon.com - 20" Plush Flowers with Bendable Stems - Choice of Color - 1/ea. (Turquoise) - Plush Animal Toys

Old 01-08-2015, 07:30 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
go meet the mom, and be on your best behavior. take a couple of these with you, one for her and one for mom;

Amazon.com - 20" Plush Flowers with Bendable Stems - Choice of Color - 1/ea. (Turquoise) - Plush Animal Toys
Not a bad idea, but I'd make it a real flower. A carnation, or something. One for the mom and one for the daughter. It may sound lame to you, but it'll make a good impression on the mom. Seeing as how this is a protective mom, hedging your bets isn't a bad idea.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:52 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,193,175 times
Quote:
By the way her family and her are kinda religious

I will have to meet both her mom and her, so I guess I will have to worry about both liking me
Well, there goes the joke I wanted to make, although these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
I guess I'll behave this time and not make a colorful comment that this thread is begging for
..you know what, I'll behave, too.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 PM

807 posts, read 1,357,378 times
Why not find a girl that isn't under her mother's wing? This girl must be special in some way or smoking hot. Which is it?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,293,774 times
I think when I went steady with a girl, when I was 12, I had to meet the mom, before we went to a movie. You are trying to date a 21 year old who's mother wants to meet before going out? I guess that's being safe, but damn, no wonder kids have no clue on courtship/dating/having relationships....

Old 01-08-2015, 10:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,518,008 times
Quote:
We been texting for 2 months or so. I asked if she wanted to hang out. She said yeah. She later tells me she can't because her mom won't let her because we never met. She said her mom invited e to come to their house and meet them. She is 18 I am 21. I don't know what to think

I know her mom wants to make sure I am not a weirdo or something.

Considering her age, I don't think her or her Mom's request is unreasonable.

[you only have to worry if you are a weirdo or something]

Old 01-09-2015, 01:06 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,948,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not a bad idea, but I'd make it a real flower. A carnation, or something. One for the mom and one for the daughter. It may sound lame to you, but it'll make a good impression on the mom. Seeing as how this is a protective mom, hedging your bets isn't a bad idea.
while a real flower is nice, it doesnt last, and a guy wants to make a lasting impression. the stuffed flower on the other hand lasts as long as a stuffed animal, doesnt convey a serious note, yet it still shows that you are thinking about the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships