Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
The better question is why the hell would you want to go to Mongolia.
Visit the Mongolian BBQ Headquarters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:50 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
The better question is why the hell would you want to go to Mongolia.
Because Mongolia is fabulous and fascinating! If I were you, OP, I'd skip Uzbekistan, and go to Mongolia, and from there take the train across the Russian border to the Buryat Republic. The capital city, Ulan Ude, is pretty interesting (Americans who have seen it all say it's their fave city in Russia), plus if you can get on a hiking tour (Google it), you'll see some of the most breathtaking mountain scenery you can ever hope to see. From there you can fly or take the train (about 2-1/2 days) east to Khabarovsk, and fly back to the US through Korea or Japan.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If there's somewhere you really really want to go to, but they don't (such as Uzbekistan/Mongolia), would it be wrong to take off and go there yourself?

Do you think it's wrong, or do you think it's everyone's right to travel anywhere they want to, if they're paying for it themselves?

Of course you'd be honest and talk to them about it...but do you think it should reasonably upset them?
If I was married I would want her to come along or try to find a destination that we would both enjoy. I doubt that she would not like to travel because I would never marry such a woman. I don't think it's douchey. However, it is a sign that you two may not be compatible.

[you should have checked her passport before you married her]

Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
If I was married I would want her to come along or try to find a destination that we would both enjoy. I doubt that she would not like to travel because I would never marry such a woman. I don't think it's douchey. However, it is a sign that you two may not be compatible.

[you should have checked her passport before you married her]
Well, this is the other issue. In view of the fact that the OP believes this will be the last chance either of them has to travel for a few years, being that pregnancy is scheduled for next year, it kinda would be douchey for him to take off on his own, unless she gets to do some solo travel, too.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:55 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol!

It's usually best if both halves of the married couple agree to whatever either half wants to do. Meaning: if one wants to travel somewhere, where the other doesn't, hopefully it would be ok with the half that doesn't want to go. Usually it's the woman who wants to travel, and the hubby who doesn't see the point, or who doesn't want to put up with foreign cultures and languages, foods, etc. Usually, the wives get to travel, and the hubbies are happy staying home.

You seem to be anticipating resistance from your wife, OP. Not sure why. Can the family economy afford the luxury?
Lol, I'm the wife, and yes, I can afford it. You pretty much described how my husband sees travel to places a bit off the beaten path.

The issue would be that I'd be away from him (he doesn't even like it when I come home late from work), and that I'm going off having fun somewhere. Though I've told him that he's always free to go travel wherever he wants whenever he wants, and he has the ability to do so easily, but he doesn't because he doesn't want to.

god dammit, this is not supposed to be about me!

It might seem like a ridiculous question, but I'm 24 and a newlywed (6 months), and none of my friends are married, so sometimes I'm curious about what is generally expected in married life in the US.

Though of course I know it's really up to the couple when it comes down to it.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Because Mongolia is fabulous and fascinating! If I were you, OP, I'd skip Uzbekistan, and go to Mongolia, and from there take the train across the Russian border to the Buryat Republic. The capital city, Ulan Ude, is pretty interesting (Americans who have seen it all say it's their fave city in Russia), plus if you can get on a hiking tour (Google it), you'll see some of the most breathtaking mountain scenery you can ever hope to see. From there you can fly or take the train (about 2-1/2 days) east to Khabarovsk, and fly back to the US through Korea or Japan.
That sounds freakin awesome!! I've never been to Russia, as the Visa process is supposed to be pretty hairy, but I'd probably go around March or April, so I should be able to sort it out by then.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 PM

Why not just go somewhere you can both agree on?

Sounds to me like you're just trying to be difficult if you MUST go to Uzbekistan and Mongolia.

It's douchey not taking your spouse's preferences in mind.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Why not just go somewhere you can both agree on?

Sounds to me like you're just trying to be difficult if you MUST go to Uzbekistan and Mongolia.
We go to places together, but not really off the beaten paths when we travel together. Even when we went to Australia, I wanted to explore NT and WA, but he wanted to stay near Sydney, the city.

I don't mind that at all, but if he doesn't want to explore other places, I don't see why I should be held back from it, since it'd only be maybe 2 weeks. Doesn't it seem a little extreme to never ever be allowed to go somewhere for the rest of your life?

Old 01-08-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
We go to places together, but not really off the beaten paths when we travel together. Even when we went to Australia, I wanted to explore NT and WA, but he wanted to stay near Sydney, the city.

I don't mind that at all, but if he doesn't want to explore other places, I don't see why I should be held back from it, since it'd only be maybe 2 weeks. Doesn't it seem a little extreme to never ever be allowed to go somewhere for the rest of your life?

This is a discussion you should be having with him.

However, unless you have some sort of DEEP fascination for these countries....... which I wouldn't understand why. Why not find larger cities that are a bit different to visit?

Why not go to a large city that's still off the radar, like Mumbai?

Talk to him, explain why it's important. If he still doesn't understand, ask what he'd think of you going alone.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:37 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Quote:
You need to get out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships