Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 11:26 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times

Advertisements

A buddy of mine was telling me about a dinner date he had last Friday. He says that during the appetizer (the main course hadn't been even served yet) his date's cell phone went off and she took the call. This woman talked during the salad, into the entree, halfway through the meal, he said. Obviously, not a business call or emergency, as the woman at one point began laughing like a hyena on the phone. He excused himself, telling her that he had to use the men's room - and just split! About an hour later, she calls his phone (he ignores it), and left him some nasty messages on his voicemail. I personally don't blame him for taking off; I think that what she did was very rude and inconsiderate! When you're on a date, unless it's an emergency, don't answer the damn phone!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
A buddy of mine was telling me about a dinner date he had last Friday. He says that during the appetizer (the main course hadn't been even served yet) his date's cell phone went off and she took the call. This woman talked during the salad, into the entree, halfway through the meal, he said. Obviously, not a business call or emergency, as the woman at one point began laughing like a hyena on the phone. He excused himself, telling her that he had to use the men's room - and just split! About an hour later, she calls his phone (he ignores it), and left him some nasty messages on his voicemail. I personally don't blame him for taking off; I think that what she did was very rude and inconsiderate! When you're on a date, unless it's an emergency, don't answer the damn phone!
Agreed. Obnoxious behavior. Good on him for leaving. Haha. I would've walked out, too! (That hyena laugh alone would've just topped it for me)

Old 01-13-2015, 11:37 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,197 times
Yes, very rude. Also assuming the guy was going to pay for the pleasure of the meal and listening to her talk on the phone. He was right to cut bait and go back to the pond.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:41 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,420 times
And that is why I hate this era of cell phones...God forbid that anyone is away from their smartphones for more than 60 seconds! Gasp! The horror! My husband and I see this situation when we go out EVERY SINGLE TIME: husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend are eating out or at a bar and one, if not both of them, are on their phones, ignoring each other. They're just glued to them as if they're CIA agents trying to find a freaking terrorist, I swear. We were out celebrating our anniversary a few years ago at this historic restaurant where the prices average about $200 a dinner for a couple. There was a couple next to us who were both on their phones the entire time they were together. They didn't even put them down when their food was being served, we couldn't believe it! What's the point of going out with someone if you're going to play on your stupid smartphone?

What's so great that you're missing, people??? Like the flesh and blood person or people in front of you aren't good enough?? We also see parents out with their kids and the parents will ignore their children in favor of their phones or the kids will be glued to the phones, zoned out playing some stupid game. We have a strict policy in our house- no phones at any table, period. Okay, wait, that's not exactly true. When my DH and I are out by ourselves, one of us will put our phone on the table in case we get a call about our children- but we never play on them or pick them up otherwise. They're just phones and not anything special.

Your friend had every right to expect his date to actually be engaged in the outing rather than be so rude and talk on the phone as if he wasn't there. That woman needs to be taught some damn manners!

Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
The technology fosters Obsessive-Compulsive behavior. It's an illness.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
She was super rude, and so was he.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:56 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
She was super rude, and so was he.
How was he rude? I would've cut out on her too! And I would've also gave her a few choice words of my own, had she have called me!

Old 01-14-2015, 12:18 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
He shouldn't have lied and told her he was going to the bathroom. He just should have gotten up, waved goodbye at her, and turned around to leave. If she stopped her phone convo for a minute to ask where he was going, he should have said, "I can see you're not into this date, so we may as well call it quits instead of wasting each other's time anymore" and left. Blatant honesty can achieve a lot more, sometimes, than subterfuge.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:50 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He shouldn't have lied and told her he was going to the bathroom. He just should have gotten up, waved goodbye at her, and turned around to leave. If she stopped her phone convo for a minute to ask where he was going, he should have said, "I can see you're not into this date, so we may as well call it quits instead of wasting each other's time anymore" and left. Blatant honesty can achieve a lot more, sometimes, than subterfuge.
Easier said than done. The problem with that approach is the risk that the girl might cause a scene, right then and there. If you're a somewhat shy individual, that's the kind of nightmare you dread. There's no telling how a woman might react to being told midway through the date that she's being rude and inconsiderate.

I think in this case his behavior was justified. She wasn't being respectful of his time (and probably his money), so all bets were off. He did the right thing, IMHO.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The technology fosters Obsessive-Compulsive behavior. It's an illness.
Situations like this makes me wish I had grown up in like the 70's or 80's. Some people are just way too obsessed with their cell phones nowadays.

I would have done the exact same thing the OP did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships