Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:56 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times

Advertisements

Friend went to church with his GF in early December, they have been dating at least 3 years. He said he was polite, talked to people, and had fun cause he felt comfortable there and was relaxed. "Fun" as in relaxed and enjoyed being there. She got mad cause he was too laid back and joked with people he knew.

Nearly the same thing happened to me, I told him to just "be there". Don't be so social and relaxed. He didn't like that idea.

She asked him to go again, he said he's not going through that again. "No reason to go if I'm worried about everything I do and say."

I told him just to do it how she wants then he can relax. He told me "I'm sure Ill do something wrong"

Then we started talking about the superbowl and all the bs involved with the "deflate-gate".

What are your opinions? Just go and make her happy? Don't go if she is going to possibly get mad?

I do feel sorry for him sometimes. She does knock him down from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 06:02 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
If you can't be yourself when you are with someone that you have been with for 3 years, then you're in trouble.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:01 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Either way he's gonna have problems. He needs to talk to her and figure out a path forward.

My husband sometimes fusses at me for being too chatty. He's socially reserved, and it makes him uncomfortable. I had to put my foot down and tell him I was a grown woman and I didn't appreciate being censored.

Of course I thought about what he said, and I'll make a few adjustments in the future, just to avoid this issue.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:35 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Friend went to church with his GF in early December, they have been dating at least 3 years. He said he was polite, talked to people, and had fun cause he felt comfortable there and was relaxed. "Fun" as in relaxed and enjoyed being there. She got mad cause he was too laid back and joked with people he knew.

Nearly the same thing happened to me, I told him to just "be there". Don't be so social and relaxed. He didn't like that idea.

She asked him to go again, he said he's not going through that again. "No reason to go if I'm worried about everything I do and say."

I told him just to do it how she wants then he can relax. He told me "I'm sure Ill do something wrong"

Then we started talking about the superbowl and all the bs involved with the "deflate-gate".

What are your opinions? Just go and make her happy? Don't go if she is going to possibly get mad?

I do feel sorry for him sometimes. She does knock him down from time to time.
Tell him to dump her. She sounds like a high-maintenance princess.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:54 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Tell him to dump her. She sounds like a high-maintenance princess.
Dumping your SO isn't always the best answer to all situations.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Dumping your SO isn't always the best answer to all situations.
It is, when the SO constantly harangues you and puts you down. Unless of course, you enjoy being miserable.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Either she wants to be the center of his attention 24-7, or else this isn't the whole story.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
Tell him to put his pants on and act like an adult as well as a man. Tell him stop being a chump and allowing others to dictate how he acts in public, especially when it is in good faith. (no pun intended but now that i think about it, it was a good one... )

And tell him to sit her down and to let her know the time in that she will no longer try to control his actions. Tell him he is being a chump and no man should allow this.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
I wouldn't go if I were him. Well, I'm not the most objective person in this case because I'm not religious and wouldn't want to go in the first place. But if I had done her a favor and gone with her - and then all she did was complain - I certainly wouldn't go again.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I thought church was where you went to reflect on and celebrate the Word of the Lord with others? It's not supposed to be a snarky cocktail party.

Maybe they should focus on the reason they are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships