Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:18 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times

Advertisements

"Greg" is one of those BRILLIANT guys that comes up a little short on the common sense side, I love him but he's very much the Absent-minded professor type ...so it makes understanding his emotional side a little harder I think- he's the only person I've ever not been able to figure out.

Greg and I were high school sweethearts. (We're 30 and 31 now) His mom and my mom are best friends...then we broke up and my family ended up moving out of state. We of course went our separate ways, to different universities and then he lived overseas for a while. Every couple of years, he would visit my blog or a random "hey how are you" message would be sent back and forth between us.

Fast forward to two years ago, I lost my fiance to cancer. He was the first one to send me a message of condolences. A few months later I ended up flying to his city for a work-related project and we decided to meet up. Had a wonderful evening, and he kissed me, joking I should have expected it. He said I was one of the "core people" in his life. We didn't end up having sex but did fool around a little bit. I told him half-jokingly that he better not hurt me again like he did in high school (we broke up because he needed more "him" time....kids, right?) He said he doesn't want to hurt me. He spent the night holding me, and when he left my hotel room the next day he said I needed to fly up again and see him.

About 6 months later, the opportunity arose again, and I flew to his city. This time, he was nowhere to be found. He didn't respond to my text (said he got a new phone and lost his contacts) and only responded when I reached out to him on facebook. We ended up hitting up a few bars and chatting but this time was different. He was friendly but his body language was different, though he still insisted on buying me dinner. At the end of the night we left separately.

Yet, he'll "like" certain status updates and photos of me, to this day.

I don't know if hes afraid I'll want a relationship, or if its because I'm a widow now....I can't figure out his feelings for me, if he has any. He's very hot-cold...and always has been. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:22 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Not much to figure out. He isn't interested.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:25 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
He's very hot-cold...and always has been. What do you think?
That he isn't as in to you as you or him would have you think.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:35 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
More likely than not you are the back-up plan.

In case he hits around 37 starts to lose his hair and still hasn't landed the lingerie model who is also a corporate attorney you are the safety.

All he needs to do is lightly string you along without any real commitments and if there comes a time that he needs to settle down with a nice woman who shares a common background and value system you are a lock.

It's an averages game and while not all that romantic I think there is a place for it.

I suggest you do the same, start dating but keep Mr Maybe on a long run, who knows in five years you two might make a go of it.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:47 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times
I'll never understand why people try and rekindle something with exes. If you broke up, that usually means there is a pretty good reason why, right? It just seems so counterproductive to me. To me it just reeks of desperation. I've always believed when you break up stay broken up. There is only one ex of mine that I would even partly consider this, and she lives in Japan. Of course now I wouldn't even consider that.

My advice to the OP - forget about him and move on. It sounds like he hasn't changed a lot since high school. AND...I doubt he'll ever really change.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
More likely than not you are the back-up plan.

In case he hits around 37 starts to lose his hair and still hasn't landed the lingerie model who is also a corporate attorney you are the safety.

All he needs to do is lightly string you along without any real commitments and if there comes a time that he needs to settle down with a nice woman who shares a common background and value system you are a lock.

It's an averages game and while not all that romantic I think there is a place for it.

I suggest you do the same, start dating but keep Mr Maybe on a long run, who knows in five years you two might make a go of it.

Yeah. He's flakey to everyone, it's not just me that gets the hot cold treatment (this is a man that seriously considered joining the priesthood at one point) he's just so weird. But your comment makes sense. I wish he wouldn't have said something like "I've been waiting years for this moment to hold you"....makes it confusing, but I made peace with us just being friends years ago. What will be will be, it would just be nice to know where he stands exactly. Thanks for your insight

Old 01-28-2015, 08:58 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
The only one who knows is him. Some guys are hard to figure it out. I'm sure it's confusing for you to hear him say he's been waiting for years to hold you, then the next time you see him he acts like you're just old friends. Maybe he met someone else between then and now?

Do you have feelings for him? Would you want to try to give your relationship another try? The only way to know for sure is to just ask him.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:01 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
I don't know if hes afraid I'll want a relationship, or if its because I'm a widow now....I can't figure out his feelings for me, if he has any. He's very hot-cold...and always has been. What do you think?
This is pretty simple.... ASK HIM!

Old 01-28-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
This is pretty simple.... ASK HIM!

Omg why didn't I think of that?!

Nah, I'm happy with things the way they are right now. Don't want to put awkwardness into a situation that doesn't need it. I'm not looking to reunite with him, I recognize that he doesn't have some of the characteristics I need in a significant other. I just think about him from time to time and sometimes I just want anonymous, impartial thoughts on it.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:18 AM

324 posts, read 427,553 times
I'm thinking he just started dating someone he's into and was trying to keep things as platonic as possible with you so he wouldn't mess up things with the new person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships