Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 05:23 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
LOL...I couldn't do it because I'm not down with the "let's talk it out" crap and the "I-statements"

The whole "when you do this, it makes me angry"...Ef that. How about "when you do that....you're an a-hole!! I'm going to Target to cool off. Find your own damn dinner" That's how I roll.
LOL, I was watching some show about Wynonna Judd and her mom and all of the problems and issues between them.

It was hilarious and annoying after a while listening to all of that "therapy speak" she was doing with the type of interactions you just mentioned.

I mean I have never heard someone speak the way Wynonna Judd was.... it was sort of bizarre after a bit.......

You can tell she's spent some serious time in front of a therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 05:41 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
Date: yes. LTR: no

Old 02-11-2015, 05:47 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
I married one but she's not a clinical psychologist. I've been asked a million times if she analyzes me and no, she doesn't. That I know of, at least.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 PM

535 posts, read 515,636 times
Yes, as long as they weren't obnoxious about it. I was friends with one (he was a fellow player on a local just-for-fun sports league my ex was on and became a mentor to him). Absolutely great, caring guy. Kinda became a father figure to me as well. I don't think someone's profession has a direct correlation with them being a bad or good person. Unless they're a hitman or something

Old 02-11-2015, 06:14 PM

535 posts, read 515,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Never dated a psychologist, but was banging a chick that worked in pathology, had three degrees and one of them was psychology.

Our sexual behavior together became increasingly more extreme and as a result she started saying I had 'fetishes' etc, and she was analyzing my childhood, claimed I liked dominating women (and degrading them) sexually as a psychological response to being controlled by Catholic nuns during my childhood/school years.
uhh real psychologists know that this is just a sexual preference or interest and there's nothing wrong with it as long as its SSC (safe, sane, consensual) she sounds like she's just an annoying know it all (who doesn't actually know much) :P

Old 02-11-2015, 07:14 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I think you should definitely see a psychologist.
What for?

Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Hell no, he would constantly say I'm wrong.I can't handle that pressure.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Sure. Shrinks are people, too.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:20 AM

743 posts, read 832,309 times
Most of the women I got to know well in school who were psych majors probably had the most issues. It is very odd. It's like they are trying to diagnose themselves. I definitely wouldn't want any of them being my psychiatrist.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:35 AM

321 posts, read 372,212 times
I'm a psychologist. To the best of my knowledge I've never had a woman refuse to date me based solely on my education/occupation, but it's possible they did and didn't tell me. Some of them seem to find the high level of education and "professor" thing (I also teach) to be a turn on, but frankly most view it as no different than any other middle-income white collar graduate degree "professional" job-- which is fine with me.

If anything, we psychologists in the dating world have to be on the lookout for people who are (consciously or not) attracted to us because they need a shrink more than they need a romantic partner (which never ends well), but we learn to recognize them and screen them out most of the time.

I've dated a few fellow psychologists, and fellow psych grad students when I was in my doctoral program. I didn't find them to be either universally fun or universally not fun. They were different people with different personalities, as you'd expect. I wouldn't rule out dating them, but I wouldn't specifically seek them out, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships