Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 05:56 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuriousman View Post
Okay, expand on that.

How do you even get to that point in the first place? And more importantly, how do you know they "clicked?"

Please, the more information you can give me on the right steps to take, the better!
I have felt a strong connection with a man 4 times in my life. I am 48. So, it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. All 4 times, I felt it right away, within moments of meeting that person.

Feeling that connection does not mean that love will grow, but in my opinion, love cannot happen if that connection is not there. And it's just there, or it just isn't there. You can't force it either way.

There isn't a whole lot of rational decision making involved in the process, things just progress organically on their own. There isn't anxiety about "oh gosh, should I text him/her? Should I call? Is it too soon? Oh, what to do?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
You are being way too analytical/technical and overthinking all of this, OP. There is no "standardization" in dating or relationships.
Second this.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Dump that whole power thing.
Creepy and unnecessary

Old 02-19-2015, 06:01 PM

19 posts, read 23,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You're approaching it scientifically, and it's not a science. Your questions cannot be answered in those terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
All of that sounds way too analytical to me. If I had to think about all of the questions you brought up before I started a new relationship, I would be exhausted before I finished answering them!
(On the other hand, if I had thought of some of them before I got into some of my relationships, maybe I would not have so many that failed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
You are being way too analytical/technical and overthinking all of this, OP. There is no "standardization" in dating or relationships.
I'm sorry if it comes across that way. I have never been in one in my entire life so I have to go to reference materials (Papers/research studies) to frame the concept. It's not that I don't want to be in one, I just have absolutely no idea how to accomplish the best result from it.

All I want to do is go by the set standard which everybody else follows, that's what I'm trying to study. Everybody else is in so many relationships, I just want to have one of my own!

Old 02-19-2015, 06:06 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
May I ask how old you are, acuriousman?

Old 02-19-2015, 06:07 PM

603 posts, read 1,029,196 times
The concept of having a girlfriend seems preposterous to me. The amount of work involved to get a girlfriend and then actually keep a woman interested over a long period of time seems impossible.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:07 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if it comes across that way. I have never been in one in my entire life so I have to go to reference materials (Papers/research studies) to frame the concept. It's not that I don't want to be in one, I just have absolutely no idea how to accomplish the best result from it.

All I want to do is go by the set standard which everybody else follows,
that's what I'm trying to study. Everybody else is in so many relationships, I just want to have one of my own!
You can't do that.

It's nonsensical because you are not everyone else, and that "standard knowledge" does not exist.

You have to follow your own heart, stop comparing yourself to others, and look with your own eyes.

A lot of people always try to find the easy way with everything.

You can't do that with relationships. If you do....it won't lead to lasting happiness.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:

All I want to do is go by the set standard which everybody else follows, that's what I'm trying to study. Everybody else is in so many relationships, I just want to have one of my own!
You mean, like "standard knowledge"?

Anyway, have you never felt feelings of attraction for someone before? Or really liked being around someone?

Old 02-19-2015, 06:56 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,057 times
Quote:

My point about experience was that it's not something you can study, it's not something that you can learn from 'reference materials'. You have to bite the bullet and get out there and make it happen.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Ask someone out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships