Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:21 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Both of those are very small percentages of the population, I don't think it accounts for what we're talking about. Especially the evil "childfree philosophy". There are a lot more people who can't have a kid for practical/financial reasons as opposed to thinking it is wrong to have kids or the human race should become extinct. But even the people who can't have kids for financial reasons, that's still fairly small, it's not 25%.
Evil child free philosophy? What the hell? Some people simply don't want to have children. There isn't anything evil about it.

As for non-religious people being a very small percentage - I would beg to differ on that as well.

However, my husband and I aren't religious at all but getting married was still important to us. Actually, most of the people in my social circle are not religious and are married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 12:21 PM

19 posts, read 16,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Yep, this.

There's a difference between "more divorces" and "fewer married people"; one does not equate the other.

yep, that divorce rate is only dropping because less people are getting married.
When those cohabitating couple break up they just disappear and are not a stat, if they had gotten married like they would have 20, 30, 50 years ago...well then it would be right back over 50% again.

Less people die from falling off horse today than 100 years ago. I don't attribute that to safer horse riding, I attribute it to people driving cars and not riding horses.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Both of those are very small percentages of the population, I don't think it accounts for what we're talking about. Especially the evil "childfree philosophy". There are a lot more people who can't have a kid for practical/financial reasons as opposed to thinking it is wrong to have kids or the human race should become extinct. But even the people who can't have kids for financial reasons, that's still fairly small, it's not 25%.
You and this "evil Childfree philosophy" BS. It is tired and it needs to stop. I don't want kids. I don't like kids. I don't give two s or s whether other people have them, they just ain't welcome at my house. That is what Childfree is, I don't want them, I don't care if other people have them.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Evil child free philosophy? What the hell? Some people simply don't want to have children. There isn't anything evil about it.
There is if you think having kids is wrong, you don't think kids are special should be celebrated, you think the human race should become extinct or have its population greatly reduced, etc.

Quote:
As for non-religious people being a very small percentage - I would beg to differ on that as well.
Less religious I think might be a pretty big percentage, but non-religious as in atheist? No that's a small amount. "Christmas and Easter Christians" are a far larger group than atheists. In fact I think the majority of people who identify as Christian are "Christmas and Easter Christians". They still believe in God and Jesus and all that but they don't go to church often. Personally I'm a Deist...I do believe in God but not in the doctrine of any organized religion.

Quote:
However, my husband and I aren't religious at all but getting married was still important to us. Actually, most of the people in my social circle are not religious and are married.
Yeah I agree that you don't have to believe in God to want to get married.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:50 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Oh well.

I wanted to get married once when I was younger, it was more of a "I want to get married because everyone else is."

Now I'm not really expecting to. Not really expecting to fall in love either. IF I marry it won't be before 30. I recognize how uncertain emotions and relationships are so I don't put too much thought into it anymore. If it happens, it happens, if not, oh well.

*shrugs*

Connecting with people isn't something I do easily.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
The marriage rate is FALLING

The divorce rate is RISING

neither have a single thing to do with the other except they both clearly illustrate, marriage aint what it used to be.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:55 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

Except it isn't. Not in the USA anyway.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:58 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
The marriage rate is FALLING

neither have a single thing to do with the other except they both clearly illustrate, marriage aint what it used to be.
Marriage rate has been falling for the most part, but the divorce rate has also been falling.

Marriage rate and total marriages were dropping until 2011. For a couple years, the number of marriages ticked up in the country, the overall rate remained the same (at 6.8 per 1000 persons).

However,. the divorce rate, and number of divorces per year have both been declining every year since 2000.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:04 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
I can see why some people believe that marriage isn't that important nowadays. Sometimes, I've even thought of what marriage could honestly provide me that I don't already have.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:10 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I can see why some people believe that marriage isn't that important nowadays. Sometimes, I've even thought of what marriage could honestly provide me that I don't already have.
Yeah I mean if you're going to have kids, yes, it is probably a good idea...but even then, you can get legal documents to give you the protections of marriage without actually getting married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships