Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:07 AM

718 posts, read 616,965 times

Advertisements

Is this forum really populated by the millennials? I always thought everyone was a little older.

I think there's some truth to it. Marriage definitely isn't something that a lot of people feel is a 'right of passage' anymore. I know a lot of common-law couples, older divorcees or widowers who've decided to remain girlfriend/boyfriend and women/men who simply do not believe in the conventions of marriage.

I don't think we're going to have a larger crazy cat lady population, but I think the traditional concept of marriage is definitely changing. I mean, look at those TLC shows glorifying Polygamy and whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,657,354 times
I think people who choose not to marry are smart.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,054,403 times
I think it is better for individuals and society as a whole if people do what they desire and are capable of in their relationships. If they either cannot afford marriage, or if they just do not want to be married, and decide not to... then thats great.

I am married, enjoy being married, and have no regrets about it. However, I understand its not a life choice for everyone (and wasn't something I was seeking when I was the age the millennials are now either).

Old 02-23-2015, 11:22 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Hardly anyone gets married in Australia.
Weird that your government's stats don't really support that claim, though. And Australia's not even included in the ten countries with the lowest marriage rates.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 AM

376 posts, read 318,340 times
Marriage rate up to 2011:

Old 02-23-2015, 11:33 AM

19 posts, read 16,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I think that the fewer people that get married because they feel like they should instead of because they really want to - the better it is for society.

I strongly believe this. With women society places no value on you if you are not married and have kids, and as a man you are seen as scum and most men only find value in themselves based on a women/kids relying on them for support. Its sad all around

I will NEVER get married. From how I see it affects peoples lives and changes people I want no part of it in any way. It just leads to bad things. If something is working, why go and ruin it for by changing it?

Old 02-23-2015, 11:33 AM

376 posts, read 318,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysky444 View Post
I saw that before and it makes me extremely sad...I believe it.. I think there are so many factors involved on why this is and it's not just one...Before 95% of the population at least got married once in their life..There are so many people now that do want to be married, but it's getting extremely difficult. Society today is more diverse then it's ever been in regards to culture, values, beliefs, etc..There are such a wide range of opinions on life that finding someone your even compatible with on that level seems nearly impossible..Before, pretty much everyone "thought" the same way..It was more traditional..The norm was growing up, getting married, having kids, then dying..pretty much the cycle of life..Now we have technology at our fingertips and the mystery is gone..We can get in touch with practically anyone in the world at any second of the day immediately at the touch of a button...We don't have the pony express anymore where it took weeks if not months...I think it all plays a roll on how things turn out..sucks because people don't change deep down we all have the same desires..not all, but a lot.
Your post reminded me of this, by Jeff Dickson...not George Carlin as it's often reported:

The Paradox of our Time

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings, but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints.

We spend more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy it less.

We have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, but less time;

We have more degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, but more problems; more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too seldom, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values.

We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life; we've added years to life, not life to years.

We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor.

We've conquered outer space, but not inner space.

We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul.

We've split the atom, but not our prejudice.

We write more, but learn less.

We plan more, but accomplish less.

We've learned to rush, but not to wait.

We build more computers to hold more information to produce more copies than ever, but have less communication.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men, and short character; steep profits, and shallow relationships.

These are the times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure, but less fun; more kinds of food, but less nutrition.

These are days of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses, but broken homes.

These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throw-away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer to quiet, to kill.

It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the stockroom; a time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.
Read more at snopes.com: The Paradox of Our Time

Old 02-23-2015, 11:34 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,758,119 times
Who cares? People will still hook up, shack up and have kids. What's your point OP?

Old 02-23-2015, 11:35 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,640,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler View Post
Marriage rate up to 2011:
That graph is useless without any additional data. Marriage rate per what? First time marriage? Total marriage? Of a certain age range?

Old 02-23-2015, 11:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,054,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Who cares? People will still hook up, shack up and have kids. What's your point OP?

Yeah, I'm not getting the fascination myself. People can do what they choose to do. Not my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships