Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:58 AM

133 posts, read 212,273 times

Advertisements

I know that's the problem..Men can have kids well into their 40's, 50's, etc. I know a man who had a kid in his 70's..The only problem is women really can't have them past 40...So, it's a lot scarier for women
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,033,731 times
Getting to know a potential spouse well, to make an analytical decision about marrying them (unassociated with emotion) is certainly a good thing.

However, I think Neutrino's extended timeframe is just as extreme in the opposite direction as someone who is engaged a couple weeks after dating someone.

Everyone and every relationship is unique, and the time needed to properly learn about someone's character and habits, and how they match your own needs and self will vary greatly.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Getting to know a potential spouse well, to make an analytical decision about marrying them (unassociated with emotion) is certainly a good thing.

However, I think Neutrino's extended timeframe is just as extreme in the opposite direction as someone who is engaged a couple weeks after dating someone.

Everyone and every relationship is unique, and the time needed to properly learn about someone's character and habits, and how they match your own needs and self will vary greatly.
I agree. When you have a timeline but you don't actually have a relationship - it doesn't really make sense.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:06 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,074,963 times
Quote:
It's just a ballpark figure. My point was that 3 years seems a little short to me to decide if you really want to enter into a serious legal commitment with that person. Especially if we're assuming you didn't know the person at all prior to that three year period.

Like I said I would want to know the person on a platonic basis for several months or a few years before even sleeping with them and/or entering into a relationship, thus 3 years is short if you didn't know them. I already know that most on here are going to disagree.

It's all hypothetical in my case anyway, because no one has ever reciprocated my feelings and ultimately, I don't want to get married at all at this point.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:10 AM

133 posts, read 212,273 times
When you want children and your in your 30's 3 years is way too long

Old 02-24-2015, 09:20 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,033,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
It's just a ballpark figure. My point was that 3 years seems a little short to me to decide if you really want to enter into a serious legal commitment with that person. Especially if we're assuming you didn't know the person at all prior to that three year period.

Like I said I would want to know the person on a platonic basis for several months or a few years before even sleeping with them and/or entering into a relationship, thus 3 years is short if you didn't know them. I already know that most on here are going to disagree.

It's all hypothetical in my case anyway, because no one has ever reciprocated my feelings and ultimately, I don't want to get married at all at this point.
Hypothetically you can be a friend of a woman for 3 years, and both of you decide to date. However, really, if you are trying to really get to know a woman's character for 3 years by being a "platonic friend" to try and evaluate if she is relationship material, your likely going to be friend zoned.

Meeting someone and being their friend when you want a deeper relationship for yourself usually has people make the decision to "date" far more quickly than a 3 year run. It is through dating that you would really get to know someone and conduct the due diligence about a potential long term relationship and marriage questions.

Even not considering a woman's timeframe to have children, most women (and lets be honest, most men) are not going to to platonic friend things for 3 years waiting for someone to make a move, or worse, having their moves rejected for 3 years because not enough friend time has passed yet.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Quote:
Even not considering a woman's timeframe to have children, most women (and lets be honest, most men) are not going to to platonic friend things for 3 years waiting for someone to make a move, or worse, having their moves rejected for 3 years because not enough friend time has passed yet.

For real. If I like her, and I'm attracted to her, I'm going to not try to get it on with her for 3 damn years? You have to be kidding me!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:55 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
For real. If I like her, and I'm attracted to her, I'm going to not try to get it on with her for 3 damn years? You have to be kidding me!
The guys that I was friends with before dating were guys that I became attracted to after awhile. The guys that I was attracted to right off the bat - if we waited to started dating, it was only because of other circumstances and not because we wanted to be friends first.

Neutrino - friends first isn't something you can force. If you are friends with someone and attraction develops - that's great. But being friends with someone for a few years does not guarantee that you will become attracted to each other. Likewise, many people will not be willing to wait for 3 years (or even 3 months) to date someone that they are attracted to simply because the other person wants to be friends first.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,645,768 times
"It's the economy, stupid!"

Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,645,768 times
It takes more money to do the things that accommodate marriage, such as a house, financial stability, and many 25-35 year olds don't have that. Thus, not willing to get married. This is a generation who are/were still living with parents into their 30s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships