Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times

Advertisements

It depends. I've been on both sides of the fence and enjoyed both. One thing about being single is having a relationship with yourself, learning to love and enjoy yourself. This helps to welcome a happy and healthy relationship. It allows you not to allow yourself to deal with the BS some people can bring to a relationship because you will have the wisdom to know that you can be happy with and by yourself without drama.

Right now I prefer to be single but I do date with no strings attached because that's my choice. While I'm single I do have some one I can call to come over and watch a movie or go out to dinner with no pressure to have a title attached to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 02:12 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
The right one often changes with time and age After 2 failed marriages I said never again, and no kids ether. I was having the best years of my life........as always I was talked into it, had fun times, lots of memories ...now 37 years later, I find the last 10 years were wasted time . Why o why did I not get out when I should have ? Now today, I just do not have the guts to pull the plug. So ,even the right one can grow into the wrong one I found that out three times.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Both can equally suck.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:32 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
I haven't read the thread, but to be as gentle as I can, If you have to ask this question then you need to stay alone until the answer is self evident.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:37 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle33 View Post
Sounds like an absurd question but I've struggled with this myself. No relationship is perfect but loneliness is one of the worst feelings. Even if you aren't with the right person isn't it better to at least have that companionship and someone to spend life with? You may even like the person just not be in love with them. I think obviously if your in an abusive relationship it would be better to be single. I think the situation is not so cut and dry. I just hear people say a lot it's better to be single and alone then in a marriage and unhappy...I think they are both hard. I just don't know which was is worse..Any thoughts?
Clearly that depends on the person. I am never lonely, I can totally enjoy being alone... but that is a blessing that not many people have. I would never stay in a relationship if I was not happy.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:27 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,482 times
Personally, I chose to be single yet not alone for many years. I dated a lot of women, very casually until I found someone I connected with. Did I miss opportunities? Of course I did, I met plenty of women who wouldn't go for my lifestyle. I didn't care, because I had enough experience, knowing that people tend to get stuck in bad relationships, and I wasn't falling into that trap. I saw a lot of women who might have worked out perfectly, but timing was a problem. Eventually, I met someone who I wanted to date exclusively, and I would stop seeing all the rest.

I have seen your threads before, and I can tell that you have some deep rooted issues that you should address. Unless you at least acknowledge them, you will probably continue to endure the same types of relationships that you always seem to have. I understand that being a female is much different that being a male. I had no guilt, or worry about my reputation, while I dated multiple women at one time. You don't have that as a luxury, at least you sound like the type who cares about what other's think.

If I were you, this is what I would do. I would date different types of guys, even guys who you may not immediately think would be a good match. Your issue is that you think that you are only good enough for a certain type of guy, and you mask that fact by convincing yourself that you are only attracted to that type. Here's the flaw....you are actually dating the type of guy who is the polar opposite of the types you want. How can you make the change? For one, you need to realize that as a woman, you have all the power. You control who you can date, who you will sleep with, and who you will be in a ltr with. No male can do that, without your approval. Once you understand all of that, you need to open up your range of types you date. The timing for this may not be now, but it will eventually happen, if you are going to break free from you old habits.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:13 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle33 View Post
Sounds like an absurd question but I've struggled with this myself. No relationship is perfect but loneliness is one of the worst feelings. Even if you aren't with the right person isn't it better to at least have that companionship and someone to spend life with? You may even like the person just not be in love with them. I think obviously if your in an abusive relationship it would be better to be single. I think the situation is not so cut and dry. I just hear people say a lot it's better to be single and alone then in a marriage and unhappy...I think they are both hard. I just don't know which was is worse..Any thoughts?
I've said it thousands of times before, and I'll say it again.

Better to be alone than in bad company.

If you are not happy in a marriage, then there is a problem that needs to be worked out. A bad relationship is definitely much worse than being by yourself.

I say this as a Gemini. When I'm by myself, I am literally by myself.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:20 PM

270 posts, read 283,139 times
I found it a lot more stressful to be in an unhappy relationship, than to be single and, yeah, at times a little lonely. I can snap out of the latter pretty quickly, but it takes two willing people to make the unhappy relationship a happy one, and it takes much longer for that to happen than me snapping out of a funk.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:25 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
I think we're made ultimately for relationships.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy3 View Post
I found it a lot more stressful to be in an unhappy relationship, than to be single and, yeah, at times a little lonely. I can snap out of the latter pretty quickly, but it takes two willing people to make the unhappy relationship a happy one, and it takes much longer for that to happen than me snapping out of a funk.
^ This, all day long.

I would add, that it takes even longer, if the persons involved really don't have common goals, even if one tells the other that they do.

CN.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships