Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 02:14 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,640 times

Advertisements

Give the guy a break man. He not only suggested coffee which was not good idea to you, he also came up with a meeting venue to start the ball rolling. Infact he provided more options for you, since the jetty is surrounded by restaurants and bars.

Totally unnecessary to penalize someone you've not met like this, a petty tip if its meant as one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 02:19 PM

356 posts, read 365,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I peeked back in at my OLD the other day and got a guy who lives in the same suburb.

He seemed very nice and ticked all the boxes and asked me if I would like to meet for coffee.

We live in a very hip part of town with loads of restaurants, pubs, etc. He's born here, I've just moved in.

As I find OLD quite nerve wracking and don't drink a lot of coffee, I said sure but not a coffee joint.

So he says - lets just meet at the jetty (its beachside) and decide from there.

This simple sentence was enough to turn me off entirely and here's why:

I want a man to have the powers of DECIDING where to meet, to take charge if you like. He knows this area better than me, yet he can't even suggest a suitable venue to take a new female?!

I realize it may not be logical or even fair but it is what it is....!

(PS before you guys go getting mad, I WILL probably still meet him...but this did make me hesitate and gave a poor first impression).
Ugh you seem like a whiny lady.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:24 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Ya know, I could see someone thinking that way. Kind of like, "Okay, now I'm not so sure I want to meet you because you're striking me as fussy, so let's meet in a generic place and when I get there I'll decide if I want to get this over with, in which case I'll suggest a drink, which will be over in 15 minutes, or a stroll, during which I can show you around and take stock of your conversational skills before asking if you'd like to grab a meal at one of the places we pass."
lol! Yeah, he may have intended to have her waiting out on the street/jetty that way so he could just cruise by in his car, eyeball her, and decide whether he even wanted to get out of the car and go through with the date or not.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:20 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The only "tips" any guy can take from this is:

1. Have a battery of backup plans for when a woman you don't know shoots down your initial invitation of choice.
2. Read the person's mind.
3. Have the good fortune to not inadvertently make them think of x bad relationship they had, or they will immediately overgeneralize your actions and arbitrarily assign their ex's motives to you, "because he did that, too."

I don't know.

I met my husband via OLD...I messaged him. I asked him if he'd like to meet up. I suggested a café. He showed up even though he doesn't drink coffee in the evening, and drank decaf. He didn't tell me, "No, you CHOSE WRONG. NOW MAKE ANOTHER CHOICE, AND IT BETTER PASS MUSTER. GOD, I HAD AN EX GIRLFRIEND WHO DIDN'T HAVE THE DECENCY TO COME UP WITH BACKUP PLANS THAT I MIGHT LIKE BETTER! I KNOW HOW THIS GOES! NEXT!"

Expecting guys to magically intuit your personal peccadilloes leftover from past relationships and conduct themselves accordingly isn't really much of an "online dating tip" for the masses. Who knows HIS past relationship experience? Maybe he was with somebody who resented him making all the decisions, so he learned that it's a good idea to open up the floor to others' suggestions?

I would also imagine, per the usual scene with OLD, that he was simultaneously conducting communications with any number of women, and seamlessly moved on to somebody who didn't have a problem with his suggestion for meeting up. You say, "I was posting to give advice to any one of those guys who are suddenly dumped online and have NO IDEA WHY," but nobody got "suddenly dumped," here. Nothing of significance happened. I'm guessing the guy isn't going to sit around and agonize about why a first date didn't take place. I'm sure he'll move on okay.
Didn't read all the posts yet, but yes, this one said it best! ^^^ That guy for sure dodged a bullet. For Pete's sake OP, you could just drink decaf.. or tea or water.....jeezus...

Old 04-18-2015, 04:05 PM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Its really not a general tip for all men who use online dating, just the men who wants to date the OP. He better get the place, time, and scenery right the first time, or else he's SOL. And the only time the OP will make an exception is if hes really hot
This doesn't bear any resemblance to what OP said.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:14 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You are forgetting OP is already driving to an area she knows nothing about....Man should be a man and make it as easy for her as possible, part of that is making a plan to meet at a place easily accessible by people who don't know the area. When men who do not know my area drive to meet me, I suggest a place right off the highway if I can, it's called courtesy. To not make any plan, to me is kind of rude and clueless.

Once I drove to meet a guy in an area I had never been in before...I got lost, his directions told me get off at exit 53 and there was no such exit...I called and called and called and he didn't answer. I'm on the shoulder of the Garden State Parkway with cars whizzing by, in the days before smart phones and GPS, and the guy lets me down before I even meet him by not answering my call even though he knew I was driving there and didn't know the area.....in the end I got off any exit and stopped at several stores and got directions and eventually made it, but I felt so let down and not cared for in the most basic way a man should take care of a woman that I was already turned off before we even met. This to me is the same sort of thing.

See also the "Protective Men" thread farther down. Same thing. It's these subtle signs of whether a man is going to be a Man or not.
According to the OP, he specified a location an area, probably like saying "Let's meet at Oak Brook Mall" or "Let's meet at Navy Pier". That's pretty specific. As to whether we go to Bubba Gump Shrimp or to Olive Garden, they could decide that when they met.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The problem here is the OP is super-sensitive to questionable moments in interactions with guys due to her past experiences so she actively looks for reasons to be off put.
Sounds about right.

Saying this guy dodged a missile is probably the biggest understatement of 2015.

I'll be nice and leave it at that.

Oh yeah, just sayin.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:27 PM

195 posts, read 246,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
He didn't decide anything, he asked if I wanted to go for coffee NOT if I wanted to meet at xyz.

When I said no, he made a SECOND non-decision.

It was off putting to me. It is what it is.
He did make a 2nd decision. He suggested a place with a bunch of venues around it, right?

Don't take this as criticism, but you sound high maintenance. Just trying to give you, or other women that might be reading this, and that are wondering why they don't get asked out more... some friendly advice.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:32 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Funny, this is what people were saying about you, much of last year.
That was last year. I've changed.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:01 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRF206 View Post
He did make a 2nd decision. He suggested a place with a bunch of venues around it, right?

Don't take this as criticism, but you sound high maintenance. Just trying to give you, or other women that might be reading this, and that are wondering why they don't get asked out more... some friendly advice.
In addition, if you said yes to coffee, at that point, he may have specified a coffee shop.

Hypothetical conversation

Guy: Hey, would you like to meet up on Sunday for coffee?

Girl: Sure, I should be free around 2PM

Guy: Great, let's meet up at the Starbucks on the corner of 153rd and Wolf at 2PM then.

Girl: See you then!

Didn't even give him a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships