Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times

Advertisements

The other day I was at an Ice cream shop and they expected a tip. I found it oddhe had a tip jar and when I paid by CC there was a spot for tips. I am pretty good about tipping, but are we supposed to tip everyone now?

I had someone tell me I was wrong if I was willing to pay $7 for gellato but not tip the guy a buck or two. I just never heard of this before. Do we start tipping at McDonalds now too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
The other day I was at an Ice cream shop and they expected a tip. I found it oddhe had a tip jar and when I paid by CC there was a spot for tips. I am pretty good about tipping, but are we supposed to tip everyone now?

I had someone tell me I was wrong if I was willing to pay $7 for gellato but not tip the guy a buck or two. I just never heard of this before. Do we start tipping at McDonalds now too?
since i wasn't there, i can't say with 100% certainty i would or would not have tipped the ice cream dude/chick.

i will say this though...i usually only tip when i receive good service, outside of what i'm paying for already.

in your case, you bought ice cream...the guy/girl probably reached down and scooped some ice cream, then put it in a cup/cone. if that's how it went down, i'm not throwing a penny more down than what the ice cream cost.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,859 times
Tipping is for service. If I have to stand there and wait at a counter, that's not service, that's a transaction - no tip. I don't tip for take-out. I don't tip at Starbucks, either, but I'll tip a bartender a buck just for opening a beer... I guess because sitting at a bar is not the same as standing at a counter. I feel like I should tip the baristas, though. It's a lot harder to make a latte than it is to pour a beer.

Just because there's a line for tips on the receipt doesn't mean you have to tip. My local Dunkin' Donuts has a tip jar on the counter, which cracks me up. They do a fine job pouring coffee and putting donuts in a bag, but no way am I tipping if I have to stand there and wait for it. What next, do we tip the drive-through people, too? What am I, flush with cash, going around just giving money to everyone?! Please...

Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Employees who give “extra” good service and are personable with a smile get a reasonable tip from me. However I don’t believe it’s required just because there is a tip jar sitting on the counter. Tips have to be earned by employees.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Employees who give “extra” good service and are personable with a smile get a reasonable tip from me. However I don’t believe it’s required just because there is a tip jar sitting on the counter. Tips have to be earned by employees.
I agree, good service get's the tip, and that's usually the waiter/waitress in a sit down restaurant serving you.
A tip jar is so impersonable, plus who's actually getting the tip. I believe the tip jar is a psychological tool to get people to feel embarassed not to leave an extra stipend or two.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post

This is a very interesting subject because tipping has become so complicated in a manner of speaking. I observed a man tip a kid at McDonald's for making him an extraordinary shake. The kid refused the tip, but the man insisted so much he had no choice. I notice most places like ColdStone Creamery have tip jars. If I pay nearly 10 bucks for an ice cream I am not tipping unless I get seriously superb customer service. I am never going to tip at Starbuck's because the price of the coffee must include the tip. Now all that being said if I know u and I like u I tip generously. If at a restaurant and I get poor service I tip u, but I make sure u know just why I tipped u. I say let ur conscience by your guide when it comes to tipping.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Evidently. It's the entitlement mentality. "I was born, therefore I deserve."

Tip jars are sometimes in poor taste. If I was the manager, they wouldn't be there.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
That's my problem I'm always giving out tips Here's one..... bet the 5-3 Daily double @ Aqueduct racetrack today

Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,228 times
I have a problem with the "jar" thing because I think it seems like a handout for employees sort of like, those jars that are on counters for charities. This doesn't bother me as much as restaurants adding in gratuities to bills, and then expecting me to hand over the coin. I tip very well--but I will not tip for very poor service. I do feel for some of the serving staff (especially if they are doing a great job) who are on the receiving end of negative comments from customers. Sometimes I have told servers that I am tipping them--not the kitchen staff, and viceversa. Lots of places have a shared tip system, so it's tough. Some of these donut and coffee places make a bundle--so wy don't they just pay their staff a little better?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
As someone who once worked in the food service industry back in my high school and college days, I tend to be a fairly generous tipper in general because I know how bad some of those jobs can be. For any restaurant, 15% is usually my rough average for adequate service with at least 20% for great service. And that holds regardless of the cost of the total meal (I know some cheapskates who actually will tip less if the food is more expensive); great service at a diner where we drop $20 on the tab will usually get a $5 tip, and great service at a more upscale restaurant with a $200 tab will get at least $40. On those rare occasions (which I can count on one hand) in my lifetime where the service has been so abysmal I felt I could not justify a tip, I made it a point to speak with the manager directly and explain why I thought the service was so horrible and would inform them that the server was getting no tip – I did not just leave nothing and walk out.

As for bars, if it is a cash bar where we pay as we go, generally $1 per drink, whether it’s a $3 beer or a $10 cocktail. Although if we’re going to have a few rounds and / or the place is crowded, I will frequently drop a hefty tip on the first round - I’ve found that (more often than not) if I order 2 or 3 drinks and drop a $5 on the bar as a tip on that first round, I get taken care of much faster when I go back up than others crowded around the bar, and the mixed drinks tend to be much stronger than the first one. At the few bars we visit on a more regular basis, we always tip very well (at least 20%) – but part of that is more of a give and take with the bartenders; they know us and know that we will tip them well, so we often find that our mixed drinks / cocktails are fairly hefty and usually a drink or two gets “forgotten” when we finally do get our bill.

As to the tip jars…it depends. If it is something as simple as pouring coffee into a cup and snapping a lid on it, or grabbing my burger and fries out from under the heat lamp and dumping them in a bag, I don’t see a need to leave a tip. But if its somewhere where the person behind the counter has to spend a few minutes completing my order themselves, such as making one of those stupid, complicated coffee drinks, making my burrito at Moe’s, etc. then, yeah, I usually will drop a dollar in the staff tip jar. Do I feel obligated to tip in those situations? Not at all. But I don’t consider an extra $1 out of my pocket to be any big deal; and I know what its like to have a crappy minimum wage job so maybe its just a solidarity thing as someone who used to be in that same position themselves.

In general, if I am provided with a service, I provide an appropriate tip: a valet who parks my car, a hotel maid who cleans up after me, a hotel concierge who gets me something I need, or occasionally slipping a discrete “tip” to a hostess to cut my wait time for a table from 30-60 minutes to 5 or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics