Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 10:52 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,939 times

Advertisements

What do I do when both of us have chronic bitchy and a**hole resting faces, but I think that he likes me and I like him too, but we're just both too damn scared. Sometimes I can't read him due to his unapproachable face and he probably feels the same about me. I'm doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 AM

90 posts, read 89,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, I think it's a natural reaction to smile back at someone who's smiling at you.

I don't understand this assumption that the absence of a smile = a surly look. The absence of a smile = a neutral look, usually. Most people have open faces, and look approachable naturally, if they have open body language (arms not crossed in front, but down by their sides). People whose relaxed face looks surly are rare. And if a woman is chatting with the cashier or another customer, or is engaging with people in the lobby before a show or at intermission, you can assume she's approachable. Though I'm sure shy guys would still find a reason not to approach.
Don't get me wrong, by no means am I saying lack of smile = surly. Not in the least bit. However, surly looks and scowls (frowned brow) are prominent by women who appear unapproachable. In fact, I work with a few of the sweetest women who have this look as a default. You wouldn't think so just by looking at them.

A blank look, is just that... blank. Neutral as some would say.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:54 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
What do I do when both of us have chronic bitchy and a**hole resting faces, but I think that he likes me and I like him too, but we're just both too damn scared. Sometimes I can't read him due to his unapproachable face and he probably feels the same about me. I'm doomed.
Smile!

Some people don't realize how effective this can be, in any situation for that matter. When I'm having a bad day and someone smiles and nods to me, it does make me feel a little better.

I think it's a great starting point.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:56 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Bingo!

You're re-reading Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451? Well, if it's any consolation to you, Stephy, if I were gay, I'd definitely ask you out.
lol, thanks! I'm usually reading a few books at once...unless I'm running, at yoga, or working or with friends!

I refuse to settle for just "a guy"...why should I? I'm also not conceited....I personally think I'm just okay looking....my guy friends (and gay friends and people like the gentleman last night) tell me I'm nuts if I think I'm just "okay."

I definitely don't think the subject should include lonely...I'm far from it. I just refuse to settle.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Smile!

Some people don't realize how effective this can be, in any situation for that matter. When I'm having a bad day and someone smiles and nods to me, it does make me feel a little better.

I think it's a great starting point.
"When in doubt, let your teeth out" - A smile is the best icebreaker and gift one can give.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Wouldn't they be correct in that assumption? Or didn't this guy have enough substance?

Visiting in May...
Nope. We've broken up. He couldn't handle my success--literally. He would never be able to financially take care of me--and it freaked him out, he is old school in thinking that he has to monetarily take care of his "woman." I told him time and time again, I just wanted an emotional equal and someone who could make me laugh (which he did) and that I just wanted him happy in what he did. He was also younger and never trusted his own opinion and gut. It's sad--he is a really great, sweet guy...he just had no confidence in himself. I suppose technically we are on a "break"...but I don't believe in the merrit of those and we haven't talked in a while. I'm an adult...not in high school and fully believe if you are confident in yourself and your opinions, you should know what you want.

So, I've been doing my own thing (not dating...just more running, solo dinners, etc.) However, even prior to him, I was never approached. And, I actually approached him first (he was a friend of a friend, initially.)

Old 04-17-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
Yes, only male posters get caught up in lies. Us women are master manipulators.

That post was from a few weeks back, not yesterday. Who knows what could've transpired between then and now. It does not prove dishonesty...

Also, this thread was about approaching hot women. She offered an opinion, as a woman, about her experiences. Subjective to her. She didn't say anything derogatory against men. It is prerogative to take the advice for what it's worth or not, but personally trying to attack or discredit the poster is silly to me.
Thank you

Old 04-17-2015, 11:15 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,939 times
The OP's topic has really bothered me recently. I get lots of looks when I go outside my door, but NONE of those guys ever approach me. Instead of approaching me directly, some will follow me to work, watch me walk to my car, or like this past weekend, stay in their car and watch me from their car for a good 10 minutes and finally drove off when I took off. They all have been pretty good looking guys too, so I don't know if they're taken and just like to look, or what? Pretty soon, I will have to resort to OLD, which I don't want to do because I don't like to post pictures of myself to the public.

I really don't understand it. I'm in my late 30's, so most women at this age are married, so do these men just assume I'm taken as well? Aside from my BRF, I'm a friendly person and have an awesome smile if I do smile, but smiling naturally is really hard. Also, I finally got fed up once, and did the first direct approach, but later learned he had a girlfriend.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:17 AM

Approaching anyone can be nerve wracking. If the chemistry is right and your confidence is in check (not too high or overboard) one will be fine. I think sometimes we men, over do things when we approach women. Try too hard to be witty etc. when the woman is very attractive (to us). Remember, this is "just" a woman. Not some other worldly being. Be yourself, breathe, make eye contact and let things flow... If it's meant to be, it will.

Last edited by MrQdotJ; 04-17-2015 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-17-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQdotJ View Post
Approaching anyone can be nerve wracking. If the chemistry is right and your confidence is in check (not too high or overboard) one will be fine. I think sometimes we men, over do things when we approach women. Try too hard to be witty etc. when the woman is very attractive (to us). Remember, this is "just" woman. Not some other worldly being. Be yourself, breathe, make eye contact and let things flow... If it's meant to be, it will.
This, exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships