Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 11:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,291,702 times

Advertisements

How can you be paying rent when you do not have a job and it appears you are not activelly looking for a job since you also appear to have all the skills you need, including a fupa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 11:44 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,150,159 times
Some adult lessons here:

- save as much money as you can for a rainy day
- do not quit without a plan or without the financial cushion to do so
- do not expect your parents will take you in for free

Old 05-14-2015, 05:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,991,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Some adult lessons here:

- save as much money as you can for a rainy day
- do not quit without a plan or without the financial cushion to do so
- do not expect your parents will take you in for free
There's no lesson learned for me. I knew ahead of time my parents would be charging me rent. They made that clear. I'm naturally savvy with saving money so I can afford to resign. I have a plan. I'm resigning while having enough saved and moving temporarily back with family paying them rent until I get a full time job closer to them.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:14 PM

9 posts, read 25,972 times
I moved back in with my parents in my 30's for a couple reasons and it seriously cramped my dating lifestyle. I think it's much worse for a guy. I was underemployed at the time too (it was after the economy crashed).

It might be different for women. But if i was dating a girl that was unemployed I would probably figure that I would be paying for most of the dates. Maybe you have the money to pay but I think a lot of guys might assume that you're broke.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
If you had had something terrible happen to you and had fallen on financial hard times, and needed to move back in with family temporarily to regroup and come up with your plan for picking up and moving on, then I would look at the rent thing a little differently. It's counterintuitive to help someone get back on their feet and out of the house again while taking rent money that will ostensibly make that a longer, more drawn out process.

But that's not what's going on with you. You're leaving a job willingly without another lined up, with money in the bank. You're not destitute and needing a place to regroup while you get back on your feet. It's completely reasonable for your parents to expect compensation for putting you up.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 25,972 times
All families are different. Some parents charge their grown kids rent, some don't. I was never charged rent. Neither were any of my siblings.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:11 PM

13,664 posts, read 9,736,948 times
Though I'll be roundly panned for saying this, I think that there is something endearing and piquantly quaint about an adult woman still living with her parents. In my recent dating ventures, I've found more common ground with the parents than with my date… the older, the better, especially if they remember WWII. There is of course some awkwardness if the three of us (my date, her mother, and me) are sitting at the dining room table, and the mother turns to her daughter with a look of solicitousness and admonishment, saying "honey, why don't you marry this young man? He seems to be such a good catch!" But that notwithstanding, if my date is still living with her parents, somehow that breaks the ice (at least for me) and eases the subsequent interaction.

So, yes, at least in principle I would not hesitate to date the OP on account of her present living-arrangement.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:16 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,991,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Though I'll be roundly panned for saying this, I think that there is something endearing and piquantly quaint about an adult woman still living with her parents. In my recent dating ventures, I've found more common ground with the parents than with my date… the older, the better, especially if they remember WWII. There is of course some awkwardness if the three of us (my date, her mother, and me) are sitting at the dining room table, and the mother turns to her daughter with a look of solicitousness and admonishment, saying "honey, why don't you marry this young man? He seems to be such a good catch!" But that notwithstanding, if my date is still living with her parents, somehow that breaks the ice (at least for me) and eases the subsequent interaction.

So, yes, at least in principle I would not hesitate to date the OP on account of her present living-arrangement.
The joke is when I've lived with my parents as an adult, for the most part I really liked it because I enjoyed being around family everyday. There definitely were 2 major drawbacks though- One being no privacy whatsoever. My parents knew when I was coming and going, would ask me where I was going, and would make comments about my clothing (basically knowing where I was going based on how I was dressed). My mom is HUGE at eyeing up my hair, makeup, and clothing and then commenting even though I didn't ask for her to review me. The second being that also from my old bedroom, I cannot use any closets or the garage to store my belongings. They have always made it clear. I get 1 closet.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:54 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,269,868 times
be glad you are a woman OP, already mentioned why in this thread.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Dude, my parents are AWESOME, and a ton of fun to be around, visit, stay with, etc. They would do anything in the world for me, including put me up in an emergency situation, and beyond. But would I expect a dating prospect to give me the side eye if it were known that I was an adult electing to live with them for no real reason other than having made a choice to voluntarily leave my job with no other lined up? Yes. Yes, would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships