Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 05:23 PM

85 posts, read 62,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
No but it bothered me that you had the tone that we should settle down--as if traveling is no longer appropriate for those past a certain age when in fact many people never make their first trip until retirement. Gosh I will still strap a backpack on my back, but OP isn't talking about backpacking around the world, though I suspect she would in a heartbeat if given a chance.
Thank you, stepka.

There are times when I honestly feel like the only person in the world who has the desire to “go against the norm”. I am often made to feel immature, irresponsible and childish when I put my wants and dreams forward.

"You can do that stuff in your 20’s, but it’s not appropriate in your 30’s. In your 30’s you should be thinking about setting yourself up"

"Stop trying to live the whimsical life you see in movies and on Facebook"

"Do whatever you want, but don’t come crying when you wakeup at 60 with nothing because you wanted to have a ‘fun’ life"

"Oh, grow up"

"Oh, be realistic"

I’ve heard them all and boy am I sick of them!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 06:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugosvoice View Post
Thank you, stepka.

There are times when I honestly feel like the only person in the world who has the desire to “go against the norm”. I am often made to feel immature, irresponsible and childish when I put my wants and dreams forward.

"You can do that stuff in your 20’s, but it’s not appropriate in your 30’s. In your 30’s you should be thinking about setting yourself up"

"Do whatever you want, but don’t come crying when you wakeup at 60 with nothing because you wanted to have a ‘fun’ life"

"Oh, grow up"

"Oh, be realistic"

Well, you come across as not very prepared for it all.

If you want to do it, and do not want to hear people give you negative thoughts... stop talking about doing things and just do it.

That's the difference between the people that actually end up doing something in their life and the ones that just whine about the other people holding them back.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:30 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Thank you, stepka.

"Oh, grow up"

"Oh, be realistic"

I don't understand what enjoying travel vacations has to do with immaturity. It's quite common to travel. Some people even manage to find jobs that include international travel. What's wrong with that? And retirement is when it really takes off, for some people. Travel is something you never outgrow, unless you lose mobility as you get older, or have other health issues holding you back.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
How so?

Old 05-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand what enjoying travel vacations has to do with immaturity. It's quite common to travel. Some people even manage to find jobs that include international travel. What's wrong with that?

The OP got a lot of slack from people when she started by saying that just a couple vacations a year wasn't good enough for her and that she wanted to live 6 months out of the year in other countries.

On her salary, with her job.. it was unreasonable.

She is now saying 1 or 2 vacations a year which is normal and I don't think anyone has said anything against that...

She's kind of dwelling on the negativity and the whole "people just can't understand her" part. Honestly, it just comes off to me as show without action.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
How so?

You've been changing your plans non-stop and keep talking about how everyone isn't in agreement with your dreams.

Set up a budget, get a plane ticket and go. What more do you need to know or hear from people?

You want a free lifestyle, yet you still can't even make a decision for yourself. Why do you need our approval or feel the need to convince us what is best for you?

Old 05-21-2015, 06:37 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:

If you want to do it, and do not want to hear people give you negative thoughts... stop talking about doing things and just do it.

That's the difference between the people that actually end up doing something in their life and the ones that just whine about the other people holding them back.
OK good Burglar, we're back in agreement. OP, I do think that it's important to talk and solicit opinions and that's why you're here and it was useful, but don't stay stuck in that mode, as if you have to ask complete strangers' permission or something. Many helped you untangle some of the financial/house stuff, but many others do not understand what you're feeling so you'll have to work that part out yourself and decide how important it is to you. I'm guessing that it's very important so get ready to go. Keep it cheap--sleep on the ground if you need to. Y'all have great comfy campgrounds so I'm not even kidding--we slept on the ground the whole 3 mo we were there in Oz to keep expenses down.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
The OP got a lot of slack from people when she started by saying that just a couple vacations a year wasn't good enough for her and that she wanted to live 6 months out of the year in other countries.

On her salary, with her job.. it was unreasonable.
No I didn't say that.

Quote:
And I don’t mean a holiday when we can afford it. I mean going somewhere different in the world every 6 months. LIVING somewhere else for a year.
If I was to live somewhere else I wouldn't expect to do it on my salary, if I really wanted to do it I know I would have to quit, get another job and live and work wherever I was.

But I don't want to do that.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Why do you need our approval or feel the need to convince us what is best for you?
I feel guilty...

When you've spent your life putting others first and been made to feel selfish when you don't it's hard not to...

I'm exactly like my mum. She's spent her existence not wanting to 'make a fuss' and taught me the same way of living.

I'm not making excuses, it's just...hard, that's all...

Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
OK good Burglar, we're back in agreement. OP, I do think that it's important to talk and solicit opinions and that's why you're here and it was useful, but don't stay stuck in that mode, as if you have to ask complete strangers' permission or something. Many helped you untangle some of the financial/house stuff, but many others do not understand what you're feeling so you'll have to work that part out yourself and decide how important it is to you. I'm guessing that it's very important so get ready to go. Keep it cheap--sleep on the ground if you need to. Y'all have great comfy campgrounds so I'm not even kidding--we slept on the ground the whole 3 mo we were there in Oz to keep expenses down.

Can't imagine we wouldn't be in agreement if it's dealing with travel.

I just don't like the idea of people saying the deserve things without actually having done something to achieve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships