Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:15 AM

857 posts, read 4,882,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPrincess View Post
Hi,

Its been almost a year since I broke off our 2 year off and on "relationship", but I just can't stop thinking about him. Everything reminds me of him for some reason. I've tried everything, dating, hanging out, extracurricular activities, and it doesn't matter. My mind always drifts back to him. I was doing well about not thinking about him for a while, until he sent me this random text message on Christmas. So now, every since then, I've been constantly thinking about him.

Any advice on how I can stop this madness???
The problem with having great chemistry with someone is that you can develop a chemical addiction. I once had a relationship that was all-consuming and I felt like an addict waiting for my next "fix" when I was waiting for him to call. This went on for 3 years of on-again, off-again.
I finally threw in the towel and moved 900 miles away from him. Like you, a year later I was still thinking about him, but the geography helped me to not act on my impulses to see him. Over time it gets easier. Today I have a perfectly normal, happy relationship, but it took some time to get there. You have to treat this like any other bad habit you are trying to overcome. Sometimes shear willpower is the only thing you can count on. Other days it is easy to see things clearly. But hang in there because you won't get to the next (happier) phase of your life until you get past the old phase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM

32 posts, read 58,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
The problem with having great chemistry with someone is that you can develop a chemical addiction...You have to treat this like any other bad habit you are trying to overcome. Sometimes shear willpower is the only thing you can count on. Other days it is easy to see things clearly. But hang in there because you won't get to the next (happier) phase of your life until you get past the old phase.
I think this is so true! It definately happens in phases...I'll get over thinking about him, and then if/when he texts me or just for some random reason, I'm thinking about him again. I had (and still have) the oppurtunity to move from South Jersey to Dallas for my job, but realized that it wouldn't be a smart move for me right now...and it also wouldn't stop me from thinking about him, but I am planning on moving there in a few years. Right now, I just need to be strong and get over him, and on with my life...it's a great one , and his loss .

Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 AM

45 posts, read 130,749 times
Quote:
Hi,

Its been almost a year since I broke off our 2 year off and on "relationship", but I just can't stop thinking about him. Everything reminds me of him for some reason. I've tried everything, dating, hanging out, extracurricular activities, and it doesn't matter. My mind always drifts back to him. I was doing well about not thinking about him for a while, until he sent me this random text message on Christmas. So now, every since then, I've been constantly thinking about him.

One year for you and four for me, when you find a solution let me know. I went back to school (so been doing that for the last two years). I go out with friends, have picked up dance classes, teaching myself the acoustic guitar, exercise, read, garden like mad....... and on and on.....I miss him and love him just as much today as I did the last time we spoke years ago. If I had one wish, only one, it would be to see him again. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:06 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,465,871 times
Personally I think I would see if he would meet me for lunch or something. Not to jump back into it with him but maybe spending a little time with him will remind you how frustrating the entire thing was for you. I can't imagine that staying away from him is going to be the solution, you have done that and it hasn't worked.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 AM

32 posts, read 58,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon07 View Post
One year for you and four for me, when you find a solution let me know. I went back to school (so been doing that for the last two years). I go out with friends, have picked up dance classes, teaching myself the acoustic guitar, exercise, read, garden like mad....... and on and on.....I miss him and love him just as much today as I did the last time we spoke years ago. If I had one wish, only one, it would be to see him again. Good luck!

4 years...WOW. I sure hope it doesn't take me that long. Good luck to you too .

Quote:
Personally I think I would see if he would meet me for lunch or something. Not to jump back into it with him but maybe spending a little time with him will remind you how frustrating the entire thing was for you. I can't imagine that staying away from him is going to be the solution, you have done that and it hasn't worked.
I've tried just seeing him in the past when we broke up. But that just turned into us getting back together. Honestly, I don't think I can see him or talk to him unless/until I have someone else in my life that I am really interested in. So far, that hasn't happened. Not yet anyway.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,663,461 times
Quote:
Hi,

Time heals all wounds. Soon you'll find someone who will "trump" him. You're on the right track by staying busy. I'm sure he gets a lot less "head time" from you now than he did at the beginning of the break up. At some point you'll wonder why you wasted your time thinking about him. State your intents and stay focused.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 PM

218 posts, read 508,595 times
Sounds like you just need more TIME to get over him. But you've got to do it. Its OK to remember back to the good ole days....thats normal. I still do that about a college girlfriend 15 years ago. But if its holding your life back and messing with your mind, you really need to let go.

Do you live near him and "run into" him sometimes? A farther distance will help get him out of your mind.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:12 PM

45 posts, read 130,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan View Post
Sounds like you just need more TIME to get over him. But you've got to do it. Its OK to remember back to the good ole days....thats normal. I still do that about a college girlfriend 15 years ago. But if its holding your life back and messing with your mind, you really need to let go.

Do you live near him and "run into" him sometimes? A farther distance will help get him out of your mind.

I just had to comment on your comment about distance. As I posted previously, it's been 4 years and the distance....well...how about 1300 miles, and trust me, I'm not under a rock crying every day and night as you can read on one of my posts. Let's just say it doesn't get any more real than what we had. I guess when it came down to it, the compriming was one sided. I just tell myself that I don't understand or shouldn't try to. At least that way I can actually live as much life as possible each day.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:25 PM

22,377 posts, read 19,294,705 times
Two years is a really long time to still be obsessing over someone (unless you were in like a 10 or 15 year long term relationship which it does not sound like). Obsession is, like you said, a "madness" in the sense it's not a good thing and you desire it to not continue. Also you recognize that the place you go to is "La La Land" as in not reality, as in fantasy, as in again not a place you want to inhabit.

It sounds like you left him for all the RIGHT reasons, in terms of your own self-respect, emotional health, and dignity as a human being. It also sounds like he knows how to yank your chain.

I also know how hard it can be to "stay away." When you backslide (calling him or whatever it is that to you sucks you into the negative loop of behavior) take note of what led up to it in your life or routine. The old HALT is good to look at, am I HUNGRY, ANGRY, LONELY, or TIRED when I engage in undesirable behavior.

It sounds like you are clear and honest about where you are and where you want to be going. Sometimes it just has to get BAD ENOUGH before you finally stay away. I give myself permission to stay in the same loop until I get the skills or tools or different way of being and doing, that allow me to step out of it.

Good for you for your honesty and self-care and desire to live in a healthy place

Old 01-23-2008, 04:35 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,712,824 times
Quote:
All of the above. Honestly, I do still have feelings for him, but I refused to show it...especially to him. I feel like there was definitely a lack of closure with how we stopped talking. It was just one of those things where I got SO tired of hearing myself say the same things to him; and him not really addressing my concerns but instead, changing the subject or doing something to make me laugh. After 2 years, it just wasn't funny/cute anymore and I gave up; stopped answering his calls, ignoring his texts because at that point, there was nothing that I haven't heard from him in the past and the "relationship" was just going in circles...Off then On, Off then On.

But I do miss him, and I constantly think about him. I kind of think that he feels the same way, but I'm not sure. He's very good at avoiding conflict and not really showing his true feelings. But at the same time, he could be happy without me and just not give a d***. In which case, I really need to move on with my life. But I think it's the "unknown" that has me holding on.
Okay, I can totally understand what you are going through...at one point I totally walked away and you know what, I did not even cry, it was so over. I too, "got SO tired of hearing myself say the same things to him; and him not really addressing my concerns but instead, changing the subject or doing something to make me laugh"; I just had a thought, maybe it was the same guy, eek! Anyway, I think you perhaps are in love with the idea of being in love; it's not him, but who you wish he was, and I can tell you people do not change. The fact that he is texting you should show you that he is trying to test the waters(just like before, see people don't change) with you to see if you are willing to go through the cycle again (has he changed?-no!). You, my friend are stronger than that...I hope you ignored the text and deleted it. If you can, change your number and go out and have fun with yourself. Find out who you are without him, get strong, love the person staring at you in the mirror, THEN be open to someone who is worthy of you, and do not change no matter what. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships