Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:32 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Know-it-all guys don't like me, because I throw it back at them.
ATTAGIRL!! That's the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 04:21 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
You must be somewhat attracted to that trait. My advice might be a bit simpler - just don't go out with them. It is quite easy to tell an egoist from the very first conversation.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:20 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
"Fixer-upper"? Lol. Some of you women think you can fix a man In most cases, it's the person seeking 'fixer upper's' that needs repair.

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 06-22-2015 at 07:13 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 07:08 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,359,771 times
I was engaged to someone with a huge ego. Actually, it turned out that he wanted everyone to think he was great. In reality, he lied about his age, background, and other things. He was very insecure, which is the case with many of these people (men and women) who have the need to go around and brag about themselves.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to "put someone in their place". Why? What would it solve? You are certainly not going to change that person's behavior. I would just dismiss myself as soon as possible from their presence and move on. That is what I try and do when I encounter anyone who is like that. Life's short, don't waste my time.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:45 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Know-it-all guys don't like me, because I throw it back at them.
This is what I need in my life. Honestly, I don't want to be the know it all guy. I would like a woman who can dish it back at me. I've never been really attracted to a woman who wasn't much of a go getter. I really enjoy that dynamic in a potential relationship.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
"Fixer-upper"? Lol. Some of you women think you can fix a man In most cases, it's the person seeking 'fixer upper's' that needs repair.
Lol! This is so true!!!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
I'm going to break this to you gently: it takes a certain level of arrogance to look at another human being as a "fixer-upper". If you are attracting arrogant men, it could be because they are sensing something in common with you.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'm going to break this to you gently: it takes a certain level of arrogance to look at another human being as a "fixer-upper".
I disagree. I have used this term to refer privately to some of the guys I dated in the past. It isn't intended to be pejorative; rather, it was a way for me to look at what I was doing wrong: dating men who didn't have their act together and were unable to be the equal partner I was seeking. It was when I realized this trend in myself (an attraction to guys who seemed to need my help and would take, take, take but do very little giving) that I was able to find an appropriate partner.

OP, I think you are asking the wrong question. Rather than ask "how do I stop attracting arrogant men?" you should be asking "Why do I allow arrogant men into my life?"

Old 06-22-2015, 11:41 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I disagree. I have used this term to refer privately to some of the guys I dated in the past. It isn't intended to be pejorative; rather, it was a way for me to look at what I was doing wrong: dating men who didn't have their act together and were unable to be the equal partner I was seeking. It was when I realized this trend in myself (an attraction to guys who seemed to need my help and would take, take, take but do very little giving) that I was able to find an appropriate partner.

OP, I think you are asking the wrong question. Rather than ask "how do I stop attracting arrogant men?" you should be asking "Why do I allow arrogant men into my life?"
+1. Or maybe another phrase for that is someone who's manipulative and mistakes kindness for weakness.

There is a tendency for narcissists to want to date people they perceive as co-depedents for a reason.

You'll often see these pairings IRL.

It's not like a narcissist will attract another narcissist, because they tend to thrive on using someone else for their own personal gain.

And, lets face it, some people are pretty nasty and will see someone who is kind and take advantage. What more can a self-ego stroker ask for?

Old 06-22-2015, 11:57 AM

227 posts, read 195,128 times
Let's clarify something: when you say you attract arrogant men, is it that they just hit on you? Because if that's as far as it goes, just shut them down, and keep it moving. You say you're attractive, so it makes sense that you attract those type of dudes. They feel entitled to pretty girls. Not much you can do about that, short of changing your looks and personality.

Now, if you go ahead and start dating them, then you need to recognize them for who they are earlier on and, again, shut them down from jump street.

Sounds like you're in a pretty intense environment. Is it pretty prestigious? As in, people with money and 'breeding'? Because there tends to be a lot more guys like that in that sort of environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships